Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Saw this posted online. Have at it.

No link

Default Re: 2018-19 Scholarship Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    No link
    Was posted by former Erie sportscaster Mike Gallagher on his FB

Its important to note that this includes Shepherd's scholarship numbers - long under speculation.

Comments like?

Let's not drink the kool-aid here about IUP having such a first-rate men's basketball program on 6.66 scholarships. That's pure bunk. We had this conversation a few months ago. There is no way possible on God's green earth that you could fund a program like what they have on that little money. No way at all. I promise you that they get plenty of funding somewhere.

The funding is coming from somewhere, trust me.
    Or

IUP built a power with academic walk-ons. Wink wink. If those kids are really going there for basically no money ... at their quality ... they are morons.

That 6.66 scholarship number is beyond a farce.

Was posted by former Erie sportscaster Mike Gallagher on his FB
    Not helping ... don't use FB. Can you screen shot it?

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Comments like?

Or

Right on que from the King Troll himself. Save that in your file, too.

Creative accounting at its best.

The part we never get to see is total tuition compensation going in to a program. Just because they don't put money in the 'scholarship fund' doesn't mean players aren't getting it from somewhere else.

You're not really that naive, are you?

To me, it is always interesting to look at the numbers as a percentage of each school's total equivalencies. For football, the highest percentages are for Shepherd (72.9%), Cal (66.5%), IUP (65.5%), Slippery Rock (62.5%), and Bloomsburg (59.1%). Notably, of the schools that sponsor football, West Chester is second lowest at 33.2%. And like I noted last time these were posted, it shows that ESU has the resources to compete. It's your time, Jimmy T.

Not helping ... don't use FB. Can you screen shot it?
    This was the picture he posted (I posted it here using the URL to his FB pic)

The part we never get to see is total tuition compensation going in to a program. Just because they don't put money in the 'scholarship fund' doesn't mean players aren't getting it from somewhere else.

So you agree that 6.66 scholarship number is beyond a farce.

The link FS82 references is the same content that appears in the first post of this thread.

Remember, this is just ATHLETIC aid. Any aid available to all students such as academic scholarships, government grants, or tuition/fee waivers aren't counted.

Remember, this is just ATHLETIC aid. Any aid available to all students such as academic scholarships, government grants, or tuition/fee waivers aren't counted.
    Exactly. And remember the foreign players get in-state tuition.

And BINGO was his name.

That's exactly why I've said for years on here this yearly report is comical. Until you see how much real money -- regardless of where it's coming from -- is being pumped in to these rosters ... this report is a waste of time.

I know factually of one basketball program (that I may or may not know pretty well) getting guys in on nearly full academic rides (which don't show up on reports such as the one published). Would they qualify for such grand academic rides if they weren't 6'8" basketball players ... not for me to say.

But, to think Joe Lombardi is playing with 6.5 rides ... that's a good one.

Two questions and a thought...
    Can we presume that the equivalents at GU and SHU are discounts from list ie. pretend $$$ ?
    Any guess why UPJ, free of FB schollies , doesn't dump more into MBB and WBB ?
    Interesting how CAL U and IUP WBB can have the year to year success with slightly more than average scholarship numbers. It seems like a lot of players will take less to play for top programs.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Can we presume that the equivalents at GU and SHU are discounts from list ie. pretend $$$ ?
    Interesting how CAL U and IUP WBB can have the year to year success with slightly more than average scholarship numbers. It seems like a lot of players will take less to play for top programs.
    Mercyhurst too??

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Mercyhurst too??
    Yes

And BINGO was his name.

That's exactly why I've said for years on here this yearly report is comical. Until you see how much real money -- regardless of where it's coming from -- is being pumped in to these rosters ... this report is a waste of time.

I know factually of one basketball program (that I may or may not know pretty well) getting guys in on nearly full academic rides (which don't show up on reports such as the one published). Would they qualify for such grand academic rides if they weren't 6'8" basketball players ... not for me to say.

But, to think Joe Lombardi is playing with 6.5 rides ... that's a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Bundling is the way to go. West Liberty did this under Crutchfield and I'd assume Shepherd is doing something similar for football. Target the players who are eligible for extra money: Pell grants, state grants, academic scholarships, GI Bill, tuition waivers, etc. Your money is a small piece of the puzzle but you're the reason why they're there. Also target the players whose parents can pay the bill outright. I'll also assume that this is a thing for places like West Chester.

As some of you have noticed ... In this year's report, they've eliminated the "Total Countable Aid" column. It is not mandatory for schools to divulge (for this report) the non-athletic aid totals, so in the past some schools reported it and some didn't. A Division II rule change this year says that non-athletic aid no longer gets counted for equivelancies.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    As some of you have noticed ... In this year's report, they've eliminated the "Total Countable Aid" column. It is not mandatory for schools to divulge (for this report) the non-athletic aid totals, so in the past some schools reported it and some didn't. A Division II rule change this year says that non-athletic aid no longer gets counted for equivelancies.
    So in many ways that report is simply a 'report card' for which teams have did the best raising money from the boosters (minus the privates).

OMG!!! So the cat IS NOW out of the bag on Shepherd! I've always heard that Shepherd was around 20 equivalent athletic scholarship. I see why they were able to grab the top D-II players in Maryland. At this time, I do NOT think Frostburg St will be able to compete with Shepherd for the D-II players in Maryland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast