Thread: UWA Historical Question

Default UWA Historical Question

Just looking at GSC media guide and noticed in early 70s UWA had a strong program. Then in 1977 UWA went to the cellar - what happened? Coaching change, admin change or other. WARTIME or others clue me in.

Default Re: UWA Historical Question

Coaching change

The program stunk for the most part all the years prior to Coach Morris Higginbotham becoming HC. HC Mickey Andrews then came in and won the NC but was only there 2 yrs. Coach Jim King then came in and did pretty darn good but then he left and Coach Jack Crowe came in and it sort of went down hill. Coach Frank North had some real tough teams especially defense in the 80’s but offense was pretty lame. Coach McCorkle came in and I’ve heard several different reasons why he failed at HC(never having the money for the full 36 schollys, too much of a players coach, had favorites, just not a good coach, etc.. and that is from talking to former players that played for him. I’m not sure why Higginbotham or King left. Andrews I believe left for better job and more money at UNA. Crowe was let go after 3 years.

Thanks for the history UWARTIME. WOW I did not know that UWA had a NC in their history.

Andrews went to UNA as HC for four pretty dismal seasons before Clemson hired him as DC.

Crowe was hired by UNA as OC for two seasons before Pat Dye hired him at Wyoming for one season before they moved on to Auburn.

Oh there was one other HC that did pretty good when he was there in early 50’s and that was former Alabama great and former FSU AD Vaughn Mancha.he went 18-10-2 in 3 yrs with 1 conf championship in the now defunct Alabama Intercollegiate Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by UWARTime View Post
    Oh there was one other HC that did pretty good when he was there in early 50’s and that was former Alabama great and former FSU AD Vaughn Mancha.he went 18-10-2 in 3 yrs with 1 conf championship in the now defunct Alabama Intercollegiate Conference.
    Emelle says when he was still in knickers, The Tigers beat Florida State. He says it's so, and it was too early in the day for him to be drunk. (I get my best info from him before 10am)

He also told me Jack Crowe was the best assistant coach he's ever known. He developed the no huddle offense under Jim King, and went 0-10 when he took over as HC.
    He says (not sure I believe this) that the Citadel has a statute of him in their sports complex....something to do with when Crowe was HC at Arkansas.....
    Redeemed himself at Jax State towards the end of his career.
    Last edited by Larold; 08-08-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Until Dee Outlaw hired Bobby Wallace, UWA only put in enough money in the football program to ante, look at their cards, and fold. Sometimes we only anted and didn't look at our cards. We were playing at the high roller table when we should have been playing penny slots.

Quote Originally Posted by UWAalum View Post
    Until Dee Outlaw hired Bobby Wallace, UWA only put in enough money in the football program to ante, look at their cards, and fold. Sometimes we only anted and didn't look at our cards. We were playing at the high roller table when we should have been playing penny slots.
    I heard that too but I’ve been trying to find out why it was that way before Coach Wallace came and how he was able to get it changed. Was it simply fund raising to get the scholly money and Coach W’s name was able to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Larold View Post
    Emelle says when he was still in knickers, The Tigers beat Florida State. He says it's so, and it was too early in the day for him to be drunk. (I get my best info from him before 10am)
    That happened in 1949, when FSU was in its third year of football, having been a women's college from 1905 to 1947. The Seminoles were still good by small-college standards (9-1 with a Cigar Bowl win), and Livingston State Teachers College was the only team to beat them.

The program stunk for the most part all the years prior to Coach Morris Higginbotham becoming HC. HC Mickey Andrews then came in and won the NC but was only there 2 yrs. Coach Jim King then came in and did pretty darn good but then he left and Coach Jack Crowe came in and it sort of went down hill. Coach Frank North had some real tough teams especially defense in the 80’s but offense was pretty lame. Coach McCorkle came in and I’ve heard several different reasons why he failed at HC(never having the money for the full 36 schollys, too much of a players coach, had favorites, just not a good coach, etc.. and that is from talking to former players that played for him. I’m not sure why Higginbotham or King left. Andrews I believe left for better job and more money at UNA. Crowe was let go after 3 years.

Is this the same Mickey Andrews from Florida State fame?
    Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!

Quote Originally Posted by getnastyblazers View Post
    Is this the same Mickey Andrews from Florida State fame?
    That is correct brother.

That is correct brother.

Cool man, I had no idea he had coached UWA.
    Go Blazers, Braves , Falcons, Hawks and Jackets!