Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: D2 Rankings

Contribute to D2

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    I think the outlook on D-I kids transferring back to the PSAC has been a cyclical thing.

For quite a while, it was considered a huge thing for a program to get a D-I player, especially one who got playing time.

Then we hit the contrarian period, where everyone is quick to point out the rare "misses" with D-I transfers. And I believe the pendulum has swung a little too far the other direction.

There's a reason these guys landed at a major school in the first place, and if they aren't too damaged by the time they get here, they should play a level above the typical PSAC player.

BTW, I fully expect Irv Charles to be one of the success stories.

I hope you’re right about Charles. And I largely agree with your post. The more I have followed the recruiting, I’ve learned that they rank more on “physical tools” than anything else. The difference between a 5 star and 3 star is often times a few inches or pounds. There’s a lot of good D1 programs that never get the 5 star guys but are great at finding good 3 star players that they can coach and develop.

Those rankings don’t take mental aspects of college football into account. How will a kid be academically? How will he adjust to life on his own? How will he handle the first time he gets injured? How does he handle the distractions of college? More often than not, the answers to those questions are why a lot of these guys “fail” at that level, not talent.

One of things that’s often discussed on here is that many guys probably should have been at this level in the first place anyways. That’s definitely true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: D2 Rankings

Absolutely agree. There's certainly an element of finding one's water level there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    They’re different players. Cal uses McPhatter differently than IUP used Redfield. It’s the Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu debate. Both transcendent players at their position, but both guys played the position in two very different ways. You can’t say one was better than the other because they aren’t comparable in the manner in which they played.

Redfield’s strength was the closing speed he had and tackling ability. Part of why you suggest he wasn’t a playmaker was because teams frequently stayed clear of whatever side of the field he was on. IUP’s defense was particularly good in the run game in 2017 largely because of Redfield. His “instincts” of knowing when to jump into the second level with the LBs as run plays developed stopped 3-5 yards runs from becoming 10-15 yard chunk plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not want to use the professional comparison, but you REALLY broke it down rather well. They both play the safety position differently, so it is VERY hard to compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I did not want to use the professional comparison, but you REALLY broke it down rather well. They both play the safety position differently, so it is VERY hard to compare them.
    It is a nice comparison. When I land the G5 for my business meeting in San Francisco later I may stop by Polamalu’s alma matter. USC. After the multi million dollar deal goes down and we secure our mergers and acquisitions, I will be traveling down to Southern California for a couple days of relaxation. I will be back on the board after I seal this business deal on the roof of a 10 million dollar penthouse. But for right now, I must focus entirely on this major business transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    And then there was last years big time receiver transfer from WVU. I did hear a kid from Temple might be coming, but he was a walk on there last year and didn't play.
    Looks like the Temple player made it on the roster, Coley Laney:

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6403

His high School highlights look like he played mostly from the WR spot:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6832271...8d3c09bc0f201d

But I guess with his size, IUP may use him as a pass-catching TE.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    I think the outlook on D-I kids transferring back to the PSAC has been a cyclical thing.

For quite a while, it was considered a huge thing for a program to get a D-I player, especially one who got playing time.

Then we hit the contrarian period, where everyone is quick to point out the rare "misses" with D-I transfers. And I believe the pendulum has swung a little too far the other direction.

There's a reason these guys landed at a major school in the first place, and if they aren't too damaged by the time they get here, they should play a level above the typical PSAC player.

BTW, I fully expect Irv Charles to be one of the success stories.
    I was a leading critic of Irving Johnson coming to IUP.

My main points were first to question his rationale? (Why Div I to Div II?). Second, to try and temper the predictable enthusiasm for a Div I player from a major program translating to instant stardom at Div II / IUP.

The first question is still unanswered (and may never be answered). The second point may be a lost cause.

Time will tell and, as I mentioned in my posts, I am hopeful and wish him and IUP all the best.

He was NJ's top 7 recruit in his class. Irving has size and talent. Translate that into on-field production and then we can all get excited.

Maybe IUP's offense can become more run - pass balanced and keep defenses off guard. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Ebbs View Post

My main points were first to question his rationale? (Why Div I to Div II?). Second, to try and temper the predictable enthusiasm for a Div I player from a major program translating to instant stardom at Div II / IUP.

The first question is still unanswered (and may never be answered). The second point may be a lost cause.

Time will tell and, as I mentioned in my posts, I am hopeful and wish him and IUP all the best.

He was NJ's top 7 recruit in his class. Irving has size and talent. Translate that into on-field production and then we can all get excited.

Maybe IUP's offense can become more run - pass balanced and keep defenses off guard. Maybe.
    When you guys see him in person you'll quickly understand he doesn't look like a D2 guy. Not. At. All.

He's going to draw a lot of attention which obviously just helps free others.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Ebbs View Post

First off it is Irvin Charles and he could of called any D2 team in the country and said he wants to transfer there and there would of been 114 ok responses or whatever number teams there is in D2..that is fact...IUP got him with Torts contacts at PSU, worth the risk for sure...just sayin

I am trying to figure out why he was not contacted by teams from other Power 5 or even Group of 5 conference. I can understand him not entertaining offers from FCS schools because that is still partial scholarships. But nothing from schools that could have offered this 4-star guy a full scholarship? Things that make you say "Hmmmmmmmmmmm"....

Oh well, I just he comes and help IUP win. I guess that is the bottom line....

I am trying to figure out why he was not contacted by teams from other Power 5 or even Group of 5 conference. I can understand him not entertaining offers from FCS schools because that is still partial scholarships. But nothing from schools that could have offered this 4-star guy a full scholarship? Things that make you say "Hmmmmmmmmmmm"....

Oh well, I just he comes and help IUP win. I guess that is the bottom line....
    He may just love Jimmy Stewart.

11. Default Re: D2 Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    ...IUP got him with Torts contacts at PSU, worth the risk for sure...just sayin
    Haslett?

12. Default Re: D2 Rankings

I guess for all us old-timers after you've seen 30 or 40 of these D1 transfers come to IUP you realize there is no point to speculating about a guy like Charles. Nobody knows what impact he will have. Actually, there isn't much known about him. He could end up being dominant like Redfield or he could end up like Drew Harris, who was also a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I guess for all us old-timers after you've seen 30 or 40 of these D1 transfers come to IUP you realize there is no point to speculating about a guy like Charles. Nobody knows what impact he will have. Actually, there isn't much known about him. He could end up being dominant like Redfield or he could end up like Drew Harris, who was also a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.
    I agree with you. I am not going to get overly-excited about this guy until results from the New Haven game.

I agree with you. I am not going to get overly-excited about this guy until results from the New Haven game.
    Well ... remember Ricky Rogers went off at Ashland last year ... then poof ... vanished.

15. Default Re: D2 Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Well ... remember Ricky Rogers went off at Ashland last year ... then poof ... vanished.
    He had Lenny as a Qb in his defense

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    First off it is Irvin Charles and he could of called any D2 team in the country and said he wants to transfer there and there would of been 114 ok responses or whatever number teams there is in D2..that is fact...IUP got him with Torts contacts at PSU, worth the risk for sure...just sayin
    Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Irvin, not Irving. The points remain. He needs to make an impact on the field to warrant the hype.

Jackie Gleason I'm not.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456