Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: RMAC Preseason Football

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Gunnison
    Posts
    389
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    23553

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    I was in GJ today for work stuff, but I stopped by Mesa's practice. From what I could tell the starting QB taking 1st team reps was #15(not on 2019 roster). I think its Sophomore Hayden Bollinger from Las Vegas. The Sentinel has reported that it's a 3 headed race but he has the highest ceiling between Howard and last year's backup Rope Ruel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxMQAxudc74
    Last edited by mountaineermagic; 08-14-2019 at 04:23 AM.

  2. Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    I was in GJ today for work stuff, but I stopped by Mesa's practice. From what I could tell the starting QB taking 1st team reps was #15(not on 2019 roster). I think its Sophomore Hayden Bollinger from Las Vegas. The Sentinel has reported that it's a 3 headed race but he has the highest ceiling between Howard and last year's backup Rope Ruel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxMQAxudc74
    If this guy wins the starting job, they have problems in GJ. Based on that highlight package, he looks too slow to run at all in the RMAC. And the highlights start with a QB sneak? Uh, OK dude... Rope Ruel doesn't have it either. He looked like a deer in headlights in the one game I saw last yr vs. CSUP.

  3. #43

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardNoggin View Post
    If this guy wins the starting job, they have problems in GJ. Based on that highlight package, he looks too slow to run at all in the RMAC. And the highlights start with a QB sneak? Uh, OK dude... Rope Ruel doesn't have it either. He looked like a deer in headlights in the one game I saw last yr vs. CSUP.
    He's not going to be a scrambling threat like Salum. He seemed like a Austin Kaiser pocket type from a few year's ago. Yea I wasn't blown away by Ruel on the computer vs Pueblo either.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,510
    Rep Power
    179147

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    He's not going to be a scrambling threat like Salum. He seemed like a Austin Kaiser pocket type from a few year's ago. Yea I wasn't blown away by Ruel on the computer vs Pueblo either.
    To be fair to Ruel, I'm not sure I was impressed with any QB when watching them against Pueblo last year.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,510
    Rep Power
    179147

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football


  6. Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Fort Lewis Roster up and running.
    https://goskyhawks.com/roster.aspx?p...49&sort=jersey

  7. #47

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by "Bobby" Boucher View Post

    Welcome to the board Waterboy! Hopefully Fort Lewis bounces back this fall. They're a fun rival to have for Western, Adams and Mesa on the western slope.

  8. Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    Welcome to the board Waterboy! Hopefully Fort Lewis bounces back this fall. They're a fun rival to have for Western, Adams and Mesa on the western slope.
    Looking forward to seeing what transpires. It's only up from last year. With D1 transfers from University of Nevada, Wyoming, Army, and Fresno State along with the giant O line that Coach Nady recruited (Average 6'4" 325lbs) things should be improved. Game 1 at Highlands will be a gauge on that improvement.
    Last edited by "Bobby" Boucher; 08-19-2019 at 12:55 AM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    11078

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    Welcome to the board Waterboy! Hopefully Fort Lewis bounces back this fall. They're a fun rival to have for Western, Adams and Mesa on the western slope.
    To say nothing of their ability to wreck Pueblo in Durango.
    Sprinkles are for winners!

  10. #50

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by "Bobby" Boucher View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what transpires. It's only up from last year. With D1 transfers from University of Nevada, Wyoming, Army, and Fresno State along with the giant O line that Coach Nady recruited (Average 6'4" 325lbs) things should be improved. Game 1 at Highlands will be a gauge on that improvement.

    The influx of DI transfers can sometimes be overrated. Best example? New Mexico Highlands. Over the years the Pokes have had an abundance of talent, but no discipline, cohesion or comradery, and therefore no RMAC title. Oh, as an aside, look at what happened to coach Brown at Independence CC last year? Before the season began, he bragged about cornering the market on top rated DI bounce backs and had visions on a natty. Brown won only 2 games and got fired for behaving like an outlaw. Last Chance U ...

    T-Wolves are playing the Skyhawks in Durango this year. Scary. Advantage birdies ...

  11. #51

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    The influx of DI transfers can sometimes be overrated. Best example? New Mexico Highlands. Over the years the Pokes have had an abundance of talent, but no discipline, cohesion or comradery, and therefore no RMAC title. Oh, as an aside, look at what happened to coach Brown at Independence CC last year? Before the season began, he bragged about cornering the market on top rated DI bounce backs and had visions on a natty. Brown won only 2 games and got fired for behaving like an outlaw. Last Chance U ...

    T-Wolves are playing the Skyhawks in Durango this year. Scary. Advantage birdies ...
    Just from the two years I was at Fort Lewis they seemed to recruit pretty classy guys. Their athletic department seemed to keep guys under control pretty well too. I would think that a first year coach would build things up the slow way to prevent team problems. Having Riffalato's experience is huge for the foundation of the team. Vegas and Indy are much different academically as well the culture to Durango and FLC.

  12. Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    Just from the two years I was at Fort Lewis they seemed to recruit pretty classy guys. Their athletic department seemed to keep guys under control pretty well too. I would think that a first year coach would build things up the slow way to prevent team problems. Having Riffalato's experience is huge for the foundation of the team. Vegas and Indy are much different academically as well the culture to Durango and FLC.
    You are right on the money Mountaineermagic. 1st year Head Coach Crosby and Coach Nady have used their FBS influence (From Nevada) to orchestrate quite a recruiting class of upstanding individuals/athletes and to change the culture of football in Durango. The new AD is also a football guy and is placing extra emphasis on bringing the team up to par. The key will be establishing a solid roster of 2 deep to avoid the injury plague of past.

  13. #53

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by GWolf View Post
    To say nothing of their ability to wreck Pueblo in Durango.
    I was talking about their rivals on the western slope. It would be a stretch to say FLC is a big rival to CSUP. Wiinning at Pueblo would make it a rivalry though IMO.

  14. #54

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    We'll all know by week 3 how seriously Mesa is- @SD Mines(Won 36-33 in GJ last year), vs ENMU(won by 13 in Portales and vs Western(won by 4 in Gunnison). Anything worse than 2-1 and there very well may be some regression within the program. I don't like saying it, but they are one of the more important programs in the conference with their enrollment size and population of GJ. Three conference losses should be the floor of a program with Mesa's resources.
    I don't know that their "resources" are all that great, given the size of the school. That seems to be a major issue. When they looked at going FCS, they indicated their current scholly count was 18-20. I'm sorry, but that is awful for a school this size. And the recruiting results are bearing out this resource problem.

  15. #55

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I don't know that their "resources" are all that great, given the size of the school. That seems to be a major issue. When they looked at going FCS, they indicated their current scholly count was 18-20. I'm sorry, but that is awful for a school this size. And the recruiting results are bearing out this resource problem.
    By resources I mean just a combination of facilities, location and support of the GJ community. They would be ahead of Western, Adams and Fort Lewis in scholarships. Western is around the mid-teens. I think you have to see what the Mavs look like this fall before accessing the recruiting class.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,510
    Rep Power
    179147

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I don't know that their "resources" are all that great, given the size of the school. That seems to be a major issue. When they looked at going FCS, they indicated their current scholly count was 18-20. I'm sorry, but that is awful for a school this size. And the recruiting results are bearing out this resource problem.
    That's pretty suprising and unfortunate.

  17. #57

    Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by "Bobby" Boucher View Post
    You are right on the money Mountaineermagic. 1st year Head Coach Crosby and Coach Nady have used their FBS influence (From Nevada) to orchestrate quite a recruiting class of upstanding individuals/athletes and to change the culture of football in Durango. The new AD is also a football guy and is placing extra emphasis on bringing the team up to par. The key will be establishing a solid roster of 2 deep to avoid the injury plague of past.
    Will Fort Lewis primarily be running the pistol again with the Nevada influence? Is Lowry going to be the starter at Qb?

  18. Default Re: RMAC Preseason Football

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineermagic View Post
    Will Fort Lewis primarily be running the pistol again with the Nevada influence? Is Lowry going to be the starter at Qb?
    Yes, it will be an RPO offense with a Nevada influence and Lowry will be slinging it to 2 new wideouts 6'3" Markez Boykin and 6'4" Isaac Leppke respectively. Parker Strahler and Arealous Hughes in the slot. Also added power in the backfield in Manny Nwosu 6' 230 and Jeff Hansen 5'10" 202.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •