Thread: OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

Contribute to D2

Default OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

Not sure how many folks here watch the Netflix show “Last Chance U.” I finally got around to starting season 4 this weekend and it got me thinking... If Last Chance U was to leave the JUCO ranks and come to the PSAC, which program fits that mold?

I guess there’s a lot of ways to look at it. The first two seasons with the school down in Mississippi they were an unstoppable force, but they took every player imaginable that was asked to leave his D1 program. The last two seasons at Independence CC in Kansas, they have taken a different approach with the school they are following. Independence was a doormat program who had lost more than 20 straight prior to the shows arrival. They brought in an abrasive head coach, brought in more second chance guys, and they suddenly started winning.

It would depend on how you wanted to look at it and what that type of “Hollywood” would be like for you in the PSAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

In the glory era of IUP football, I think Frank Cignetti’s IUP teams fit that mold... Overall: Dominant, tough, hated by the league, and undoubtedly a lot of questionable happenings off the league.

More recently, I’m not sure if any program fits the bill more than the 2007-2010 Luckhardt/Armenti Cal teams. You may not find a better place to script that story. Assessment: Dominant PSAC team, multiple national name guys and former big time recruits on those teams, lots of run ins with the law (Josh Portis’ stolen credit cards, Kevin McCabe’s driving a boat while intoxicated, the “football strong” fight outside of Spud’s, etc.), and a mysterious amount of money getting pumped into the athletic department (specifically football) illegally within the confines of a university.

Those IUP and Cal eras both fit the bill. Not sure who does now though.

Default Re: OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    In the glory era of IUP football, I think Frank Cignetti’s IUP teams fit that mold... Overall: Dominant, tough, hated by the league, and undoubtedly a lot of questionable happenings off the league.

More recently, I’m not sure if any program fits the bill more than the 2007-2010 Luckhardt/Armenti Cal teams. You may not find a better place to script that story. Assessment: Dominant PSAC team, multiple national name guys and former big time recruits on those teams, lots of run ins with the law (Josh Portis’ stolen credit cards, Kevin McCabe’s driving a boat while intoxicated, the “football strong” fight outside of Spud’s, etc.), and a mysterious amount of money getting pumped into the athletic department (specifically football) illegally within the confines of a university.

SRU basketball under KR for sure.

Football-wise I'd say it is Gannon and it's not even close.

This Seasons last chance U maybe more like Lit AF from 2017

They seem similar to me. As many D1 transfers as you can get and A-hole HC's with giant egos. (East Mississippi and Independence)

The implosion at Independence was an interesting twist to me at least. I expected more on the HC leaving other than texting some german kid I'm your new Hitler. Meaning listen to me like the furor... seemingly because the kid didn't listen very well. Pretty weak considering other **** he says. But saying Hitler nowadays is seemingly considered worse than any curse you can say.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    This Seasons last chance U maybe more like Lit AF from 2017
    They both won two games too. (in 2018)

7. Default Re: OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

I was an undergrad during Frank's glory years when he took IUP to the national title game twice. Maybe I have selective amnesia but I really don't recall that many problems with his players at that time to be honest. Now those teams of his last several years there were certainly problems all over the place.

But the Cal teams that you mentioned would absolutely be good for what you are talking about---or at least I think as I really have no idea what you are talking about. A show?

I would definitely extend that time frame to include the Peter Lalich years (aka Lalich and the Lawless).

-

No spoilers for me guys. I’m only one episode into this season.

You forgot the university president on the sideline in team gear and his faux student fan group.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I was an undergrad during Frank's glory years when he took IUP to the national title game twice. Maybe I have selective amnesia but I really don't recall that many problems with his players at that time to be honest. Now those teams of his last several years there were certainly problems all over the place.

But the Cal teams that you mentioned would absolutely be good for what you are talking about---or at least I think as I really have no idea what you are talking about. A show?

I would definitely extend that time frame to include the Peter Lalich years (aka Lalich and the Lawless).

-

Frank had some pretty wild teams there toward the end -- probably his last 5-7 years. They were buying a lot of great players -- with a lot of great baggage. Not all, but several. Some of Frank's rosters in my years there were just full of major D1 castoffs -- Pitt, Temple, WVU, Rutgers, etc.

He had a nice pipeline running from Pitt to IUP for several years. Some of them really worked out great -- Amir Dew, John Jones, etc.

The end of Frank's run there was obviously extremely influential in Atwater targeting THE (Saint) Lou Tepper.

I remember going back to a game ... maybe in Tepper's 3rd year or so ... and seeing the team was just so different. Frank's teams had that (D2 version) Miami Hurricanes of the 80s charisma and swagger. Tepper's teams were the polar opposite.

I wonder if any PSAC coach would hire Jason Brown as an assistant lol. He does love the kids just doesn't accept any crap and has a limited vocabulary lol. I would love for season 5 to come up north and maybe do ASA College in NYC, Lackawanna, or head out west to an LA community college with football like LA Valley or Pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Frank had some pretty wild teams there toward the end -- probably his last 5-7 years. They were buying a lot of great players -- with a lot of great baggage. Not all, but several. Some of Frank's rosters in my years there were just full of major D1 castoffs -- Pitt, Temple, WVU, Rutgers, etc.

He had a nice pipeline running from Pitt to IUP for several years. Some of them really worked out great -- Amir Dew, John Jones, etc.

The end of Frank's run there was obviously extremely influential in Atwater targeting THE (Saint) Lou Tepper.

I remember going back to a game ... maybe in Tepper's 3rd year or so ... and seeing the team was just so different. Frank's teams had that (D2 version) Miami Hurricanes of the 80s charisma and swagger. Tepper's teams were the polar opposite.
    Tepper's teams were soft!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post

Yep. It wasn't close to the same program.

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    I wonder if any PSAC coach would hire Jason Brown as an assistant lol. He does love the kids just doesn't accept any crap and has a limited vocabulary lol. I would love for season 5 to come up north and maybe do ASA College in NYC, Lackawanna, or head out west to an LA community college with football like LA Valley or Pierce.
    I don't think so. I heard he has been charged with several felony counts for impersonating an attorney and threatening local media. To be fair, I don't think you can judge him on what they show on the program though. he may be worse, or maybe not as bad.

15. Default Re: OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
    No internet during Frank’s glory years, certainly no social media. My dad worked for the university at that time. The stories were pretty rampant, no doubt some of them were probably exaggerated if not made up. But Frank was on the borough and state police speed dial, of that I have no doubt.

16. Default Re: OT: Hypothetical - Last Chance U

I may have to check this show out once I finish Stranger Things.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Which is ironic given that his Edinboro teams were pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    I don't think so. I heard he has been charged with several felony counts for impersonating an attorney and threatening local media. To be fair, I don't think you can judge him on what they show on the program though. he may be worse, or maybe not as bad.
    Apparently he maintains his innocence and states that he has no knowledge of the pending charges, believing someone used one of his electronic devices to send those emails out posing as an attorney lol. We shall see how that case goes..

Season 5 is headed out west to Laney College (California) a JUCO in Oakland. The coach there has a great track record of graduating players, sending them onto 4 year universities and some quality D1 programs as well. Odd thing about the California JUCO's are that they only compete for the California JUCO title they aren't allowed to play for a national title so all their regular season games are held within the state.