Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angelo State Football

Contribute to D2

Default Angelo State Football

Angelo State hosts recruit prospect camps.

https://www.conchovalleyhomepage.com...prospect-camp/

Default Re: Angelo State Football

I meant to go by there on Saturday but got tied up doing things around the house, plus it was 100+ during that camp and I've been made soft by sitting in an office 8 hours per day!

Where is the program at coming into this season? High expectations? Any expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Where is the program at coming into this season? High expectations? Any expectations?
    Natty!

I would say at least compete for a conference championship. Not saying you have to win it this year, but you have to be close. And if by next year we aren't close, we change directions again. I believe Girsch has a shorter leash than Wag did because of where the university/program was when Wag took over compared to where it is now. Legitimately the only program on campus that has not either won or competed for a conference championship in the last 3 years. (I don't count golf or cross country) Heck even our 2nd year tennis program won a conference championship this year (yes I know football and tennis aren't remotely close to each other in terms of building) but when literally every other sport on campus has hardware coming in on a regular basis, leashes are short and expectations are high.

Quote Originally Posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    I would say at least compete for a conference championship. Not saying you have to win it this year, but you have to be close. And if by next year we aren't close, we change directions again. I believe Girsch has a shorter leash than Wag did because of where the university/program was when Wag took over compared to where it is now. Legitimately the only program on campus that has not either won or competed for a conference championship in the last 3 years. (I don't count golf or cross country) Heck even our 2nd year tennis program won a conference championship this year (yes I know football and tennis aren't remotely close to each other in terms of building) but when literally every other sport on campus has hardware coming in on a regular basis, leashes are short and expectations are high.
    In order to compete for a conference title you first have to be at the very least competitive against the big three. Something the Rams failed to do a year ago. They were blown out in all three games.

Now, if the offensive scheme has changed with more pound and ground and the defense can tighten up then maybe the Rams take the next step.

Favorable schedule although TAMUK might surprise some as I believe they will be improved this year heading into MW game. How they compete against MW is a make or break the rest of the way. If they are blown again then I would expect the same against Tarleton. TAMUC is question mark until I see how they perform under new HC.

In order to compete for a conference title you first have to be at the very least competitive against the big three. Something the Rams failed to do a year ago. They were blown out in all three games.

Now, if the offensive scheme has changed with more pound and ground and the defense can tighten up then maybe the Rams take the next step.

Favorable schedule although TAMUK might surprise some as I believe they will be improved this year heading into MW game. How they compete against MW is a make or break the rest of the way. If they are blown again then I would expect the same against Tarleton. TAMUC is question mark until I see how they perform under new HC.
    FYI....it's "ground and pound".

8. Default Re: Angelo State Football

I think people are going to be disappointed if they’re expecting ground and pound. New OC is an Air Raid disciple from Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFamAlum View Post
    I think people are going to be disappointed if they’re expecting ground and pound. New OC is an Air Raid disciple from Tech.
    Under Leach the air attack caught folks off guard. I for one have grown tired of a fabulous air attack and little else. The new HC at Tech drew the ire of many when he stated he was more interested in Ws than he was the Air Raid offense. Many took it as a slight against their boy KK. Another thing with this offense is that 3 and outs can take less than a minute and give your opponents more opportunities if they are trailing. Smaller RBs cannot get that 3 and 2 or 4 and 1 conversions along with line not used to run blocking. Hope its a more balanced attack than what Tech has shown in previous years. It seems that the talent is there at ASU but the schemes are all wrong.
    Last edited by Techster88; 07-23-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks, sometimes my thoughts race ahead of my typing. Pops, you seem a little grouchy lately.

Thanks, sometimes my thoughts race ahead of my typing. Pops, you seem a little grouchy lately.
    No Sir, not grouchy at all. Dont be so sensitive. Haha.

No one knows what to expect from Angelo State this year.....especially their opponents.

A new HC who brought in Kilmer as the new OC. Kilmer has studied under Leach, Tuberville, and KK.....and should be an exciting and unpredictable play-caller. Girsch also brought in Clark from Stephenville as DC. Clark knows Girsch's defense well AND has 7 years HC experience. He is also a fantastic recruiter. I understand he has gotten the DB issue solved (this cost the Rams all but 2 losses last season).

It will be an interesting season......and possibly a very surprising season for the Rams.

Counting down to kickoff!

#GoRams

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    No one knows what to expect from Angelo State this year.....especially their opponents.

A new HC who brought in Kilmer as the new OC. Kilmer has studied under Leach, Tuberville, and KK.....and should be an exciting and unpredictable play-caller. Girsch also brought in Clark from Stephenville as DC. Clark knows Girsch's defense well AND has 7 years HC experience. He is also a fantastic recruiter. I understand he has gotten the DB issue solved (this cost the Rams all but 2 losses last season).

It will be an interesting season......and possibly a very surprising season for the Rams.

Counting down to kickoff!

#GoRams
    Haha. I can’t ever remember being called sensitive. It’s all good.

Clark was a major pick up imo. He is primarily a D Line Coach. Did a solid job at Western NM also.

Haha. I can’t ever remember being called sensitive. It’s all good.

Clark was a major pick up imo. He is primarily a D Line Coach. Did a solid job at Western NM also.
    Also DBs coach for 3 years. His playing experience was as a LBer under Girsch.

I believe Girsch has a shorter leash than Wag did because of where the university/program was when Wag took over compared to where it is now.
    I would say that's true. Theoretically, he would probably be given more time if he had not been part of the previous regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I would say that's true. Theoretically, he would probably be given more time if he had not been part of the previous regime.
    All he has to do is do his job to keep his job.

Easy as that.

Win & wallow!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    All he has to do is do his job to keep his job.

Easy as that.

Win & wallow!
    Ok, which game is more doable for Angelo State? MW in San Angelo or Tarleton in Stephenville? Or maybe both in your honest opinion?

At Kingsville will be an early season indicator.

Ok, which game is more doable for Angelo State? MW in San Angelo or Tarleton in Stephenville? Or maybe both in your honest opinion?

Personally I think MW in Angelo, they lost their AA caliber QB and will hopefully be a little more 1 dimensional this year. Tarleton brings back a lot of a really good squad last year. However, if we don't spot them 21 points on turnovers we are right in that game too.

Personally I think MW in Angelo, they lost their AA caliber QB and will hopefully be a little more 1 dimensional this year. Tarleton brings back a lot of a really good squad last year. However, if we don't spot them 21 points on turnovers we are right in that game too.
    From what I saw they had a decent recruiting cycle. Last year their D Line was undersized so they could be vulnerable to the run. But, overall MW seems to me to be a well coached well rounded team. My biggest concern for them was how they finished last year against WT and WNMU. You are correct there is an advantage in playing a QB who has a learning curve ahead of him.

Stopping the quick slants and controlling los against TSU offense is only way I see Angelo leaving Stephenville with a W.

One big concern I saw last year from Angelo State was their inability to finish games. Seemed to fade in the second half against better competition. This is what I would watch closely since new HC was part of old staff.

Just a HUNCH......I say neither is MORE doable. Both are equally doable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast