Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Psac west - 2019

Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    You have completely missed the point.
    I'd love to know how.

Seton Hill has the same percentage of African American students as Clarion and Lock Haven.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'd love to know how.

Seton Hill has the same percentage of African American students as Clarion and Lock Haven.
    Where are the numbers?

4. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

You're implying a lot of Seton Hill.
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My point was that the only African-American males enrolled at Seton Hill University are either football or basketball players. You can draw your own conclusions. I am just making a factual observation.

5. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Can we just use the word black people. We don’t call white americans “European Americans” jeez lol

Quote Originally Posted by PSACHomer2.0 View Post
    Can we just use the word black people. We don’t call white americans “European Americans” jeez lol
    "European Americans" isn't a thing. The terms Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, etc all get used.

7. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    "European Americans" isn't a thing. The terms Irish Americans, Italian Americans, German Americans, etc all get used.
    My point exactly. White people are called just white or American. Black Americans should be called just black or American as well. Especially considering they are the only group on earth who has been denied any knowledge of their ancestry or origin. Don’t group people with a whole continent if you’re not going to for everyone lol

My point exactly. White people are called just white or American. Black Americans should be called just black or American as well. Especially considering they are the only group on earth who has been denied any knowledge of their ancestry or origin. Don’t group people with a whole continent if you’re not going to for everyone lol
    Not the same thing because African slaves were taken without regard for origin, so there's no way to trace them to anything more specific. You can't describe them as "Nigerian-Americans" unless they immigrated from Nigeria willingly when it was a sovereign country. Either way, it's a bizarre thing to be upset about, why on earth would you be upset that you can't call white people "European Americans"? There's no rule against it, it's just pointless because European countries have such distinct cultures.

9. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Not the same thing because African slaves were taken without regard for origin, so there's no way to trace them to anything more specific. You can't describe them as "Nigerian-Americans" unless they immigrated from Nigeria willingly when it was a sovereign country. Either way, it's a bizarre thing to be upset about, why on earth would you be upset that you can't call white people "European Americans"? There's no rule against it, it's just pointless because European countries have such distinct cultures.
    All I’m saying is white people are not from here. They are called Americans or white. But black people are called African-Americans with zero ties to that continent. It baffles me For what reason and why ?

All I’m saying is white people are not from here. They are called Americans or white. But black people are called African-Americans with zero ties to that continent. It baffles me For what reason and why ?
    I've already explained it. You can either take it or leave it.

And African countries don't?

I worked with a white person who immigrated from South Africa and became a citizen. She always and accurately selected "African American" on any documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    And African countries don't?
    They do, but African slaves were stripped of that culture, so they weren't able to maintain it when they were brought over. Different circumstances from European immigrants who were able to maintain their culture and traditions that they had developed for centuries.

EDIT: I'm not super interested in turning this further off-topic than it already is. This thread should come back to football.

14. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

People, I was just making a comment about SHU based on the reality. Why focus on the use of this term. It is the accepted term. It was populatized by Jesse Jackson in 1988 when he was running for president and it caught on within the heretofore Black community to the point where it became used on official government publications and documents e.g. the census and then moved into the commerical sphere and all aspects of American life. If you must know. Plus, white people are referred to as Caucasians on government documents, a reference to genetic origin. So, come on, Homer 2. I recommend Google to you.

(I will say, though, that with a little imagination you can kind of start to narrow down the true identity of Homer 2.0)
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 08-13-2019 at 02:31 PM.

15. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

EDIT: I'm not super interested in turning this further off-topic than it already is. This thread should come back to football.
    Yeah, good luck to ESU this year. Hopefully, things can get turned around. That first game should be interesting, though.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. My point was that the only African-American males enrolled at Seton Hill University are either football or basketball players. You can draw your own conclusions. I am just making a factual observation.

You brought this all up. What conclusions should I draw from this? Should I assume Seton Hill has a football and basketball team as a way of hitting an African American quota on campus? Just say what you're trying to say.

17. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

You brought this all up. What conclusions should I draw from this? Should I assume Seton Hill has a football and basketball team as a way of hitting an African American quota on campus? Just say what you're trying to say.
    No I don't think that is the intention but it definitely is serving that purpose. That was my point.

And I think you've been outed.

No I don't think that is the intention but it definitely is serving that purpose. That was my point.

And I think you've been outed.
    Speak in English there, boss.

Most smaller schools have football to boost male enrollment especially African American male enrollment. That shouldn't be a secret.

Smaller schools wishing to transition from majority women to coed have built their plan on the back of athletics. That's not a secret either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Most smaller schools have football to boost male enrollment especially African American male enrollment. That shouldn't be a secret.

Smaller schools wishing to transition from majority women to coed have built their plan on the back of athletics. That's not a secret either.
    In 2008, six years after going coed, SHU broke down 1115 women to 550 men. 2019 stats show 1073 women to 603 men. Whatever method they're using, it seems to be coming up short both in total enrollment and W/M ratio. In fact, from the outside, it would appear that they're simply not trying. If they're making a good faith effort, they really should question their process.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast