Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Psac west - 2019

Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Interesting article in the Trib today about Seton Hill.

Their new coach said they have to accept Seton Hill is different and has to recruit accordingly.

"We're not a party school."

Is it me or is that kind of a shot at his lowly state school bretheten?

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Their new coach said they have to accept Seton Hill is different and has to recruit accordingly.

I am not sure. I think he's actually talking about the culture there at Seton Hill.

https://triblive.com/sports/dan-day-...-winning-path/

He did state they can't keep players there. A solid example is their spring roster:

http://athletics.setonhill.edu/roste...?path=football

As you can see, they had 2 OL and a LS. And they recruited 2 more OL. On a HS Football forum someone announced that Seton Hill were in search of more OLs and if anyone knew of kids still looking for a program to reach out to the Seton Hill staff. The new head coach has his hands full.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I am not sure. I think he's actually talking about the culture there at Seton Hill.

https://triblive.com/sports/dan-day-...-winning-path/

He did state they can't keep players there. A solid example is their spring roster:

http://athletics.setonhill.edu/roste...?path=football

As you can see, they had 2 OL and a LS. And they recruited 2 more OL. On a HS Football forum someone announced that Seton Hill were in search of more OLs and if anyone knew of kids still looking for a program to reach out to the Seton Hill staff. The new head coach has his hands full.

That’s a tough sell. For kids who have the academics to go there, if you’re a talented enough football player why would you?

Seton Hill isn’t the Ivy League by any stretch, but it’s a private institution with good academics on par with the likes of W&J, Duquesne, some Patriot League schools, etc. I guess the reality is that as a recruit you weigh your options, and if you have the brains to go to one of those schools I mentioned, would you rather go there or to Seton Hill?

IUP/Cal/SRU aren’t recruiting the same guys Seton Hill is going after. If I’m a high school kid, why would I go to Seton Hill over W&J or Mount Union? Both private schools with strong academics and football programs. The NFL isn’t why I’m going to play college football. Duquesne gets a lot of local kids that have the brains and they pull them away from top PSAC programs.

It’s long been discussed, but this is one of those situations where you simply look at the number of college football programs in the same geographic area recruiting the same kids. Seton Hill almost has to recruit on a national level, but I’m not sure they’re willing to put the money out there that’s required to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid #ss comment by the new HC. The article should be how does a fully funded program stink.....just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    Stupid #ss comment by the new HC. The article should be how does a fully funded program stink.....just sayin

I think it’s a left handed way of saying that they are a different type of school and that they need to recruit better students than the other schools that they are competing against.

6. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP412 View Post
    that does not make any because nobody that is good wants to go to college to
    Seton Hill! The football team stinks, the campus is terrible and the stadium is a joke!.....just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    That’s a tough sell. For kids who have the academics to go there, if you’re a talented enough football player why would you?

Seton Hill isn’t the Ivy League by any stretch, but it’s a private institution with good academics on par with the likes of W&J, Duquesne, some Patriot League schools, etc. I guess the reality is that as a recruit you weigh your options, and if you have the brains to go to one of those schools I mentioned, would you rather go there or to Seton Hill?

IUP/Cal/SRU aren’t recruiting the same guys Seton Hill is going after. If I’m a high school kid, why would I go to Seton Hill over W&J or Mount Union? Both private schools with strong academics and football programs. The NFL isn’t why I’m going to play college football. Duquesne gets a lot of local kids that have the brains and they pull them away from top PSAC programs.

It’s long been discussed, but this is one of those situations where you simply look at the number of college football programs in the same geographic area recruiting the same kids. Seton Hill almost has to recruit on a national level, but I’m not sure they’re willing to put the money out there that’s required to do that.

Seton Hill's admissions profile isn't any different than the state schools. We're all competing for the same kids. Not sure where you're getting they are on par with Duquesne and Patriot schools.

I think it's him acknowledging that there isn't a traditional college student social life.

9. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

The night life at seton hill being in greensburg is actually more appealing than a lot of destinations in the PSAC.

Quote Originally Posted by PSACHomer2.0 View Post
    The night life at seton hill being in greensburg is actually more appealing than a lot of destinations in the PSAC.
    Someone needs to tell the coach before he scares off more recruits.

If you're 19 or if you're 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Seton Hill's admissions profile isn't any different than the state schools. We're all competing for the same kids. Not sure where you're getting they are on par with Duquesne and Patriot schools.
    Sorry, I don’t work in admissions. I’ve been told - by multiple people - that Seton Hill was more difficult to get into and more rigorous academically once in campus.

Thanks for setting me straight.

It very well may be but based on the only independent variable - SAT scores - they're right in line with IUP and others.

14. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    If you're 19 or if you're 21?
    I mean it’s western PA it’s all just one big dirty rust bucket.

I remember an article that ran last August in the Trib. You could tell the writing was on the wall for Isaac Collins. He hinted at many of the same things.

“It’s a tough job because of the league,” (AD) Snyder said. “When you look at the three private schools (Gannon and Mercyhurst being the others), we’re fighting an uphill battle based on numbers. Our tuition cost versus the state schools’ makes it tough to win head-to-head battles. It forces us to broaden our recruiting base.”

Seton Hill’s annual tuition, including housing, is approximately $47,000, second highest in the conference to Mercyhurst’s approximate $50,000.

From Collins at the time:

“The undertaking here is a little deeper than I thought when I took the job,” Collins said. “Last season was out of the norm for our building process, but we’re committed to doing things the right way and seeing our players graduate. We can’t win at any cost. We can’t win with renegades.”

“The challenges are the same as at any private in-state school,” Collins said. “We have to spread ourselves out because there are so many schools in this area. We really have to claw and scratch to get the local players to come here.”

Tuition costs at the majority of schools in Western Pennsylvania are a fraction of Seton Hill’s.

“That,” Collins said, “isn’t the only reason we hear. Some say it’s too close to home for them or that we don’t have much tradition. But cost has a lot to do with it.”

So, taking this a step further to see if what they are saying does hold some merit ... by and large, the three privates haven't done real well since joining the PSAC in football. Gannon and Mercyhurst have done tremendously better recruiting than Seton Hill but the results don't overly show it.

Seton Hill seems an ideal fit for a D3 conference. They routinely make comments such as the above in the media. I'd be shocked if they are still with us in 5 years.

There are some bars in downtown Greensburg but none that I know of embrace the college crowd. They're also a 20-25 minute walk from campus. Some forget that campus rather isolated and tucked into the nicest residential neighborhood of Greensburg. Its no college town. If you're not 21 in Pennsylvania your options are parties in apartments, basements, and houses rented by students. Not a whole lot of that going on in Greensburg either. Mercyhurst even though located in a much larger city has the same challenge.

17. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Seton Hill seems an ideal fit for a D3 conference. They routinely make comments such as the above in the media. I'd be shocked if they are still with us in 5 years.
    It seems that I told you guys this since the beginning. Everybody here was so enamored with SHU joining the conference with comments about how they will make the conference stronger and create regional rivalries and take players away from IUP and Cal. Let's not forget the justification that "they have a good baseball program." The primary reason the PSAC gave for letting them in was to save on travel costs.

What I resent about SHU is that they tried to make a higher profile for themselves through athletics. I place the importance of athletics pretty high. I was sold on President Atwater's "front porch" philosophy regarding athletics at IUP. However, SHU prioritized athletics in an attempt to make a name for itself. Their athletics ambitions were out of step with the development of the school in most every other aspect and I think that is not healthy.

When a conference looks at a prospective member or vice-versa the values of the school have to be a consideration. I see SHU's values and mission as completely different from the PSAC. So, yes, I think they would be better off in D3.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    It seems that I told you guys this since the beginning. Everybody here was so enamored with SHU joining the conference with comments about how they will make the conference stronger and create regional rivalries and take players away from IUP and Cal. Let's not forget the justification that "they have a good baseball program." The primary reason the PSAC gave for letting them in was to save on travel costs.

What I resent about SHU is that they tried to make a higher profile for themselves through athletics. I place the importance of athletics pretty high. I was sold on President Atwater's "front porch" philosophy regarding athletics at IUP. However, SHU prioritized athletics in an attempt to make a name for itself. Their athletics ambitions were out of step with the development of the school in most every other aspect and I think that is not healthy.

When a conference looks at a prospective member or vice-versa the values of the school have to be a consideration. I see SHU's values and mission as completely different from the PSAC. So, yes, I think they would be better off in D3.

I guess the only argument to save them is that maybe Issac Collins was just a bad coach, and perhaps, that five-year run was just a disaster. The argument being is they are doing fairly well in most other sports within the conference. Gannon and Mercyhurst haven't set the conference on fire in football, either. Seton Hill does have a strong women's basketball program and the men's team has, with the exception of last year, at least been competitive. As well-documented on here, their baseball program is very successful.

But, no doubt, this holier-than-thou persona they keep rambling about ...

They knew when they signed up they'd be playing the 'party schools' and competing on the football field with said party schools' renegades. Ironically under their first basketball coach (Tony Morocco) they were one of the dirtier men's programs in the region.

Basketball, despite playing in a glorified intramural hall, could do well there. You only need to land 7-9 strong players. Football is just a different animal.

19. Default Re: Psac west - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Seton Hill isn’t the Ivy League by any stretch, but it’s a private institution with good academics on par with the likes of W&J, Duquesne, some Patriot League schools, etc.
    This is the Patriot League membership:

Full Members
    American University
    Boston University
    Bucknell University *
    Colgate University *
    College of the Holy Cross *
    Lafayette College *
    Lehigh University *
    Loyola University Maryland
    U.S. Military Academy
    U.S. Naval Academy

* Indicates charter member

Associate Members

Fordham University
    Georgetown University
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    University of Richmond
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 08-12-2019 at 11:52 AM.

So homer, what's with the Fall 2019 CalU roster ? Nothing posted yet ,just a 404 error ? ? ?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast