Thread: 2019 Football Matchup Diagram

Default 2019 Football Matchup Diagram

I made this diagram to illustrate all of the intra-D2 games this upcoming season. Each box contains a list of teams that play a full round-robin, color-coded by region (blue = 1, red = 2, purple = 3, green = 4). Lines connect each team to every D2 opponent they play outside their division or conference. The conferences are arranged roughly geographically.

• The GNAC plays a double round robin, illustrated by a double-outlined box.
    • The NSIC plays a round robin within each division, but the divisions are subdivided into two pods, each of which plays one of the two pods from the other division. So there are two ways to break the NSIC into parallel eight-team round-robin groups; this is illustrated by a compound box.
    • In the NE10, all the teams except Franklin Pierce play a conference opponent twice, once as a non-conference game. Teams that play twice are grouped together within the box.
    • The boxes for the two divisions in the PSAC, CIAA, and SIAC are connected with dashed borders. In the PSAC, Week 11 cross-division matchups that could be superseded by the conference championship game are illustrated with a blue line.
    • UNC Pembroke plays every team in the SAC and is thus shown in the same box.

A larger version of this diagram is available here.

Default Re: 2019 Football Matchup Diagram

Awesome post, but you have way too much free time on your hands....

Quote Originally Posted by cneagle99 View Post
    Awesome post, but you have way too much free time on your hands....
    I won't deny it. This didn't take all that long to do, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblot View Post
    I made this diagram to illustrate all of the intra-D2 games this upcoming season. Each box contains a list of teams that play a full round-robin, color-coded by region (blue = 1, red = 2, purple = 3, green = 4). Lines connect each team to every D2 opponent they play outside their division or conference. The conferences are arranged roughly geographically.

• The NSIC plays a round robin within each division, but the divisions are subdivided into two pods, each of which plays one of the two pods from the other division. So there are two ways to break the NSIC into parallel eight-team round-robin groups; this is illustrated by a compound box.
    • In the NE10, all the teams except Franklin Pierce play a conference opponent twice, once as a non-conference game. Teams that play twice are grouped together within the box.
    • The boxes for the two divisions in the PSAC, CIAA, and SIAC are connected with dashed borders. In the PSAC, Week 11 cross-division matchups that could be superseded by the conference championship game are illustrated with a blue line.

Finally!! The circuitboard for the famous FluxCapacitor is revealed.

WOW!! My former boss who was a PowerPoint Nazi would have taken me out behind the building and shot me if I ever tried to sneak this by him!!!! I think I got a little brain bleed just looking at it!!

6. Default Re: 2019 Football Matchup Diagram

This is awesome! Thanks for the hard work and good information...

Would have been better if you had color coded the matchups between leagues.

Seriously - this took a lot of work and is impressive. It is interesting that it appears a few teams with the option of playing non-con games are not playing them for some reason. And there seems to be a difference in the number of non-cons being played by teams within the same conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Would have been better if you had color coded the matchups between leagues.

Seriously - this took a lot of work and is impressive. It is interesting that it appears a few teams with the option of playing non-con games are not playing them for some reason. And there seems to be a difference in the number of non-cons being played by teams within the same conference.
    I didn't include non-D2 games, so there are quite a few teams with non-conference games that aren't shown. And the SIAC, CIAA, and PSAC all have varying numbers of cross-divisional games (it would be consistent at three apiece in the PSAC, except that Clarion and Shippensburg play each other instead of a non-conference game).

One other thing I didn't include is Lincoln (MO) and Kentucky State's Week 12 game that will presumably not be played if either qualifies for the playoffs.

I didn't include non-D2 games, so there are quite a few teams with non-conference games that aren't shown. And the SIAC, CIAA, and PSAC all have varying numbers of cross-divisional games (it would be consistent at three apiece in the PSAC, except that Clarion and Shippensburg play each other instead of a non-conference game).

One other thing I didn't include is Lincoln (MO) and Kentucky State's Week 12 game that will presumably not be played if either qualifies for the playoffs.
    Didn't think about the NAIA possibility.