Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: 2019 GMAC Season

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    southcentral Michigan
    Posts
    779
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    12552

    Default 2019 GMAC Season

    The 2019 season begins in less than two months from now. Anyone have any predictions, suggestions, information, etc.?

  2. #2

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    I'm going with:

    1. Hillsdale
    2. Tiffin
    3. Findlay
    4. Alderson Broaddus
    5. Ohio Dominican
    6. Walsh
    7. Kentucky Wesleyan
    8. Lake Erie

    I have no reasoning behind these picks and will probably change them later but at least I posted. Come on people, at least make an effort.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    3134

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    I'm going with:

    1. Hillsdale
    2. Tiffin
    3. Findlay
    4. Alderson Broaddus
    5. Ohio Dominican
    6. Walsh
    7. Kentucky Wesleyan
    8. Lake Erie

    I have no reasoning behind these picks and will probably change them later but at least I posted. Come on people, at least make an effort.
    Your ranking looks pretty good to me, although I'm hoping Alderson Broaddus will finish higher up. Hope springs eternal and all that.
    Last edited by crixus; 07-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Go Battlers!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western Kentucky
    Posts
    9,050
    Rep Power
    21790

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Remember Kentucky Wesleyan has a new Coach in former University of Kentucky Player, Craig Yeast. Not only does Coach Yeast have SEC Conference experience, he also played in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals and the New York Jets. I am not sure what kind of season they will have this season, but next season they are going to be a top tier team. I would place KWC at No. 5 this season, and possibly sneak in at 4. I think Coach Yeast will be that good.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Not predicting, but most likely outcome:

    1. Hillsdale
    2. Findlay
    3. Ohio Dominican
    4. Tiffin
    5. Alderson Broaddus
    6. Walsh
    7. Kentucky Wesleyan
    8. Lake Erie

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,577
    Rep Power
    31992

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by alumnifan View Post
    Remember Kentucky Wesleyan has a new Coach in former University of Kentucky Player, Craig Yeast. Not only does Coach Yeast have SEC Conference experience, he also played in the NFL for the Cincinnati Bengals and the New York Jets. I am not sure what kind of season they will have this season, but next season they are going to be a top tier team. I would place KWC at No. 5 this season, and possibly sneak in at 4. I think Coach Yeast will be that good.
    How does he change a 3-7 team ( 20-33 last 5 years) into a contender after 2 hs HC jobs and 1 college AC job. What am I missing ?

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    How does he change a 3-7 team ( 20-33 last 5 years) into a contender after 2 hs HC jobs and 1 college AC job. What am I missing ?
    Not sure, looked at this years schedule. Beyond LEC, I guess Quincy and SW Baptist could be winnable. They actually have a chance to be 3-1 before they most likely lose the last 7.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,352
    Rep Power
    1961

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    How does he change a 3-7 team ( 20-33 last 5 years) into a contender after 2 hs HC jobs and 1 college AC job. What am I missing ?
    There is a lot to like about Yeast if you are Kentucky Wesleyan. One, he has been a winner wherever he has gone. It isn't like he has failed at any stop. Two, he played for Hal Mumme at Kentucky. The coaching tree for Mumme is quite good.....Leach (HC-Washington State), Holgorson (HC-former WVU/ current Houston), Dykes/Franklin (Cal), Neal Brown (WVU HC). Those guys are real innovators and win at the college level. Granted, Yeast did not coach for Mumme, but he played successfully for him and has shown the ability to take those concepts and win. He also has playing experience at the NFL level and Canadian League. I am sure he picked up a lot of good things over the years from all of his stops.

    As OC at Franklin College, Yeast's offense was pretty potent to say the least. Last year, they averaged 225 running yards per game and 333 passing yards per game. That is pretty salty. In 2017, they averaged 564 yards per game in total offense and had 4478 passing yards. Some may say that is D-III, but there are some similarities between D-II and D-III.

    At the high school level, he won. He took Bryan Station to the 2nd round of the playoffs. At Freemont Ross in Ohio, he went 7-3 and took them to the Ohio stats playoffs. He won and he produced whether it be an OC or a HS head coach. What would you want??? Kentucky Wesleyan hasn't had that to be quite frank. Bringing in a winner is what you want. You need someone with a fresh approach, a winning approach, has some quality experiences and brings in an exciting brand of football. They have a nice facility and are in a city with reasonable size. Alumni and fans should expect more out of their program. This should be an exciting hire. He returns two QBs from last year, 3 of their top 5 receivers and 2 of their top 3 rushers. He has some components in the toolbox to work with.

    Other than the top two or three programs in the G-MAC, the rest are beatable to be truthful. It isn't like Lake Erie, ABU, Walsh aren't beatable. Yes, Frostburg State was good at D-III but they are making a transition. That is a winnable game for KWC among a few other OOC games.

  9. Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Here are the current computer rankings for all GMAC teams, top 4 pretty competitive, huge gap after that.

    http://www.compughterratings.com/D2/rankings

  10. Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by HeftyLefty View Post
    Here are the current computer rankings for all GMAC teams, top 4 pretty competitive, huge gap after that.

    http://www.compughterratings.com/D2/rankings
    So KYW is 148 of 167, they play 160, 138, 115, 108, 98, #7 in NAIA. So I guess they could win some?

  11. Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Before I go on record with a prediction, what does Hillsdale, Tiffin, and ODU have returning? I felt like Hillsdale was going to lose some key pieces, but could be wrong?

    Tiffin will be tough to judge. I think they have their QB returning, but enduring a regime change is tough on any program, particularly as Tiffin was starting to really show signs of improvement.

    ODU has always given Findlay problems, they seem to own space rent free inside their heads.

    As I said at the end of last season, I still feel like AB could be the wild card this season. Not so much that I believe they are ready to contend for the conference championship, but if their offense is as explosive as they showed at times last year, and they’ve somewhat improved that defense, they could easily end up playing a big factor in who does win the conference.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    southcentral Michigan
    Posts
    779
    Rep Power
    12552

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by oilerftbll View Post
    Before I go on record with a prediction, what does Hillsdale, Tiffin, and ODU have returning? I felt like Hillsdale was going to lose some key pieces, but could be wrong?

    Tiffin will be tough to judge. I think they have their QB returning, but enduring a regime change is tough on any program, particularly as Tiffin was starting to really show signs of improvement.

    ODU has always given Findlay problems, they seem to own space rent free inside their heads.

    As I said at the end of last season, I still feel like AB could be the wild card this season. Not so much that I believe they are ready to contend for the conference championship, but if their offense is as explosive as they showed at times last year, and they’ve somewhat improved that defense, they could easily end up playing a big factor in who does win the conference.



    Hillsdale must replace key players, including quarterback and wide receiver. Last season Chance Stewart, a 6-foot, 6-inch, 265 pound signal caller had a record setting season, especially throwing to six-foot, three-inch wide receiver, and all-American Trey Brock who also had a record setting season. And the middle linebacker position must be filled. With that said, QB is the biggest question, although the Chargers have a slew of capable candidates. Hillsdale will miss Brock, but there are other receivers with size, experience and desire. The Chargers might be able to repeat as GMAC champs, but Findlay, ODU, possibly Tiffin, or even AB, could pose problems. And the season begins with Michigan Tech at Hillsdale. Not a GLIAC powerhouse, but Tech has always given Hillsdale tough games and eked out a win at home last year vs Hillsdale. I anticipate that the GMAC will be a little more competitive in 2019, and more so in 2020. Gotta play the games to discover who is in and who is out. Good luck to all.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    southcentral Michigan
    Posts
    779
    Rep Power
    12552

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    For Hillsdale, one of the things that stands out is the longevity of the coaching staff. Head Coach Keith Otterbein begins his 18th year at the helm. OC Nate Sheffler 19 years. DC Craig Blanchard 19 years. D-line John Lindsey 13 years. Special Teams Coach Steve Otterbein 9th season. QB Coach Brad Otterbein 7th season. I wonder how many D2 schools have that kind of coaching experience. There must be a few.

  14. #14

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Hillsdale Picked #1 in preseason poll:

    https://greatmidwestsports.com/news/...-favorite.aspx

    Hillsdale(6) 47 points
    ODU. 40
    Findlay(2) 37
    Tiffin. 34
    Walsh. 25
    AB. 21
    KWC. 12
    Lake Erie. 8
    Last edited by UFOILERFAN; 08-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.

  15. Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Hillsdale Picked #1 in preseason poll:

    https://greatmidwestsports.com/news/...-favorite.aspx

    Hillsdale(6) 47 points
    ODU. 40
    Findlay(2) 37
    Tiffin. 34
    Walsh. 25
    AB. 21
    KWC. 12
    Lake Erie. 8
    Are the other coaches aware that the KWC coach played in the NFL before voting them this low?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,577
    Rep Power
    31992

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioD2 View Post
    Are the other coaches aware that the KWC coach played in the NFL before voting them this low?
    Career stats as WR with BENGALS and JETS...35 G, 59 targets, 27 receptions, 321 yards, 0 TD, 7 fumbles. How is this relevant to KWC football success ?

  17. Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Career stats as WR with BENGALS and JETS...35 G, 59 targets, 27 receptions, 321 yards, 0 TD, 7 fumbles. How is this relevant to KWC football success ?
    Agree with you. Used the wrong font to type my statement.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    southcentral Michigan
    Posts
    779
    Rep Power
    12552

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Hillsdale's players returned to campus today, Sunday. Although picked to win the GMAC this season, I predict the Chargers will have their hands full with Findlay, ODU and two out of conference games: Indy and Northwood. The Hounds are always tough and beat Hillsdale last year. Indy and Hillsdale have had epic battles, including a four overtime classic that made ESPN highlights more than a decade ago. Northwood's TWolves have traditionally played Hillsdale with enthusiasm and have had their share of victories. As I said before: I anticipate that the GMAC will be a little more competitive in 2019, and more so in 2020. Gotta play the games to discover who is in and who is out. So, where are all of you GMAC posters? We need to get this conversation going. Do we need to start bad mouthing and baiting other teams to incite participation on D2Football.com?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,232
    Rep Power
    23391

    Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Did ODU call either Fairmont or Assumption about the 11/2 open date?

  20. Default Re: 2019 GMAC Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Did ODU call either Fairmont or Assumption about the 11/2 open date?
    No idea but they chose to play Valdosta state? It's like they can't get the schedule right... not enough games or something each year ... seemed to be scrambling with Malone out, but other teams made it work.. they will be good, but have a tough September

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •