Thread: New Notre Dame basketball head coach

Contribute to D2

Default New Notre Dame basketball head coach

Default Re: New Notre Dame basketball head coach

Ironically Calhoun may be back in the MEC soon if things don't get better in Youngstown.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Ironically Calhoun may be back in the MEC soon if things don't get better in Youngstown.

This is why I’m glad, for Joe’s sake, that our guy didn’t take that job. Selfishly I’m glad he didn’t take it, but that jump is certainly a risk.

From an ego perspective and financially, yeah, it’s probably an easy “take the deal” decision, but you can certainly hurt your reputation and make it harder to find your way back when it goes south.

This makes you question if Calhoun should’ve just waited another year or two for a potentially better mid major job to pop up.

Of course, he had nothing left to prove at Fairmont except for winning that last game, but as we’ve seen, nobody has been able to do it.. Joe and saint Crutch have each failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    This is why I’m glad, for Joe’s sake, that our guy didn’t take that job. Selfishly I’m glad he didn’t take it, but that jump is certainly a risk.

From an ego perspective and financially, yeah, it’s probably an easy “take the deal” decision, but you can certainly hurt your reputation and make it harder to find your way back when it goes south.

This makes you question if Calhoun should’ve just waited another year or two for a potentially better mid major job to pop up.

Of course, he had nothing left to prove at Fairmont except for winning that last game, but as we’ve seen, nobody has been able to do it.. Joe and saint Crutch have each failed.

He's 20-44 after two years (and 4 of those wins are against D3 schools). So, ... say 16-44.

Now, I do think he runs a good system. But, we'll see if they give him enough time to get the right guys in there to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post

Calhoun's predecessor was Jerry Slocum who jumped from Gannon to YSU in 2005-06. I didn't blame him for the move ... Jerry was toward the end of his career and it was probably going to be the only shot he'd ever get at Division I money and prestige at a place relatively close to home. He was a serviceable coach for the Penguins -- coached 12 years before he retired there.

Calhoun isn't even 40 yet ... agree with IUPbigI that a move to a black hole like YSU could certainly derail a career.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    He's 20-44 after two years (and 4 of those wins are against D3 schools). So, ... say 16-44.

Now, I do think he runs a good system. But, we'll see if they give him enough time to get the right guys in there to run it.
    In conference, he's 6-12 his first year and 8-10 last year. Small steps yes, but still steps in the right direction. The team is 100% turned over from the year before he took over and while still young, has a bunch of underclassmen with experience. This coming season is all on Calhoun...he will probably need to be at 11 or 12 wins in the Horizon League and at or just below 500 total to get another season. Of course, worth noting that YSU gave the previous coach a long run of some pretty dismal basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    In conference, he's 6-12 his first year and 8-10 last year. Small steps yes, but still steps in the right direction. The team is 100% turned over from the year before he took over and while still young, has a bunch of underclassmen with experience. This coming season is all on Calhoun...he will probably need to be at 11 or 12 wins in the Horizon League and at or just below 500 total to get another season. Of course, worth noting that YSU gave the previous coach a long run of some pretty dismal basketball.
    YSU has had a winning in-conference record only once since 2001. An 8-10 record is pretty solid IMHO. A 12-6 conference record would be a small miracle in Youngstown. I hope that's not the bar that Calhoun needs to hit to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    YSU has had a winning in-conference record only once since 2001. An 8-10 record is pretty solid IMHO. A 12-6 conference record would be a small miracle in Youngstown. I hope that's not the bar that Calhoun needs to hit to keep his job.
    Calhoun is a really good coach in a very bad program. It is going to take some time but as long as he shows progress every year, he has a chance of sticking and ultimately putting a good product on the court. The question will be is that good by YSU standards, good by Horizon League standards or good by D1 standards??!!