Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Default GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

With Bellarmine going D1, I think there is going to some more rumors of schools to move into the conference over the next year. With the possibility of Unidy and Lewis leaving as well, multiple teams could move in. Here is what could be a shortlist:

1. Oakland City - currently D2 independent, geographical fit, travel partner with USI, but very behind competitive wise in most sports
    2. Lincoln - currently MIAA, was affliate member, but would be very hard to pry them away from MIAA as they have waited for many years for a full invite as I understand it.
    3. Kentucky Wesleyan - current GMAC, former member, geogrpahic fit, travel partner with USI, but small step down competitive wise in football and some potential old bad blood with them leaving the conference orginally
    4. Trevecca Nazarene - currently GMAC, and similar fit as KWC but geographic stretch
    5. Various NAIA and D3 move options such as: Depauw, Wabash, Lindenwood-Belleville, Marian (if Uindy stays)

Thoughts? other expansion candidates?

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Quote Originally Posted by purduefan11 View Post
    With Bellarmine going D1, I think there is going to some more rumors of schools to move into the conference over the next year. With the possibility of Unidy and Lewis leaving as well, multiple teams could move in. Here is what could be a shortlist:

1. Oakland City - currently D2 independent, geographical fit, travel partner with USI, but very behind competitive wise in most sports
    2. Lincoln - currently MIAA, was affliate member, but would be very hard to pry them away from MIAA as they have waited for many years for a full invite as I understand it.
    3. Kentucky Wesleyan - current GMAC, former member, geogrpahic fit, travel partner with USI, but small step down competitive wise in football and some potential old bad blood with them leaving the conference orginally
    4. Trevecca Nazarene - currently GMAC, and similar fit as KWC but geographic stretch
    5. Various NAIA and D3 move options such as: Depauw, Wabash, Lindenwood-Belleville, Marian (if Uindy stays)

Yes. Forget about Lindenwood-Belleville.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...8b8c1f3.html#1

https://lindenlink.com/2019/05/13/li...ms-after-2020/

Oakland City - seems happy playing a NCCAA and USCAA loaded schedule while using the NCAA label

Lincoln - does not sponsor many of the GLVC required sports

Kentucky Wesleyan & Trevecca Nazarene - reportedly committed to the G-MAC

My pick for a GLVC addition is St. Ambrose. They have a full-time undergrad enrollment over 2,100 and fairly close to several current members. They also sponsor every GLVC sport except wrestling and their addition would give the GLVC the possibility to add two more championship sports.

4. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    Oakland City - seems happy playing a NCCAA and USCAA loaded schedule while using the NCAA label

Lincoln - does not sponsor many of the GLVC required sports

Kentucky Wesleyan & Trevecca Nazarene - reportedly committed to the G-MAC

My pick for a GLVC addition is St. Ambrose. They have a full-time undergrad enrollment over 2,100 and fairly close to several current members. They also sponsor every GLVC sport except wrestling and their addition would give the GLVC the possibility to add two more championship sports.

Certainly makes sense, would especially help with trying to keep lewis. If Lewis/Uindy go, I could see them kind of double down on the Southern Illinois/Missouri schools and look for more within the current footprint.

5. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Interesting, I did not know they were shutting down. My real worry is what will happen to that beautiful set of turf.

https://lindenwoodlynx.com/sports/20...odStadium.aspx

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Interesting, I did not know they were shutting down. My real worry is what will happen to that beautiful set of turf.

https://lindenwoodlynx.com/sports/20...odStadium.aspx
    They might turn it into a parking lot for a candy cane factory.

7. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    They might turn it into a parking lot for a candy cane factory.

I hear the Willy Wonka factory needs some new wallpaper

8. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

I'm sure the MIAA would be more than happy to give Lincoln back.

9. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Was unfamiliar with Oakland City... from Wikipedia:

Founded in 1885, it has slowly grown to the present student enrollment of about 120 on the main campus and, counting all sites, about 2,000 total. OCU's teams, called the Oaks, play in the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) and NCAA Division II, where they have won many CCNIT national titles over the years.

Don't think the conference is that desperate. Maybe smaller is better.

One thing I wouldn't rule out is a possibility of an Illinois D1 directional school dropping back down to D2. Heard rumors a while back about Western Illinois possibly making that shift because of the Illinois budget situation, which would put them right in the heart of GLVC country.

People need to stop thinking the GLVC will add Lincoln as a full-time member. They don't sponsor GLVC core sports of volleyball, men's + women's soccer and baseball (that's four of the seven required, so there's a long way to go). Also, the academics and graduation rate are nowhere close to the standard set by the GLVC, so I can't see the school presidents getting behind it either.

11. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled LU View Post
    Was unfamiliar with Oakland City... from Wikipedia:

Founded in 1885, it has slowly grown to the present student enrollment of about 120 on the main campus and, counting all sites, about 2,000 total. OCU's teams, called the Oaks, play in the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA) and NCAA Division II, where they have won many CCNIT national titles over the years.

Don't think the conference is that desperate. Maybe smaller is better.
    ya, i will admit they are way behind in a lot of areas. It would take some serious commitment and money, but could be a fit with a new AD coming in. i see it as a buying low scenairio.

12. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    One thing I wouldn't rule out is a possibility of an Illinois D1 directional school dropping back down to D2. Heard rumors a while back about Western Illinois possibly making that shift because of the Illinois budget situation, which would put them right in the heart of GLVC country.

People need to stop thinking the GLVC will add Lincoln as a full-time member. They don't sponsor GLVC core sports of volleyball, men's + women's soccer and baseball (that's four of the seven required, so there's a long way to go). Also, the academics and graduation rate are nowhere close to the standard set by the GLVC, so I can't see the school presidents getting behind it either.
    Yes, Lincoln is usually looked at just because they already had a relationship with the conference. They would be a similar add to Oakland City, they would have to really show a commitment to improving certain areas.

Yes, Lincoln is usually looked at just because they already had a relationship with the conference. They would be a similar add to Oakland City, they would have to really show a commitment to improving certain areas.
    Serious question: why would the GLVC even approach Oakland City in the first place? They're barely playing a D2 schedule to begin with - and by that, I mean they're barely playing ANYONE in D2. I don't even understand why they're even wasting the NCAA's time to begin with.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

14. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Serious question: why would the GLVC even approach Oakland City in the first place? They're barely playing a D2 schedule to begin with - and by that, I mean they're barely playing ANYONE in D2. I don't even understand why they're even wasting the NCAA's time to begin with.
    Oakland city is a geography add first and formost to keep travel costs down. While already D2, i would see adding oakland city as comparable to thier sponsorship of benedictine that fell through. Its adding a school that could develop into a strong member. No one expected benedictine to be an instant powerhouse. Oakland City would also be able to move right into the conference without the extra expenses and redtape of adding and NAIA or D3 school. there are clear problems with oakland city, but i would see them as a dark horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Serious question: why would the GLVC even approach Oakland City in the first place?
    They wouldn't, but they keep being put on the same old record player here. Same with Lincoln. Just because schools are near other conference schools doesn't mean they fit the league any way whatsoever because of a number of factors: enrollment, academics, required/sponsored sports, a whole litany of things.

16. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Think Bellarmine is making a mistake. D1 basketball with no football still robs students of the best day in college each year - the fall homecoming game. Don't think Marian will go D2 - I think they'd be strong at first with their bunch of players that don't meet NCAA admission standards but that catches up with them after a couple years under NCAA standards. Also their rep for going after players kicked out of D1 programs - don't know what D2 conference wants to be a part of that. DePauw and Wabash would have to be a package deal - they have a good thing going with their rivalry. KWC needs to invest into football like they do basketball. I've talked to kids that like the area - the should be able to recruit Louisville and Evansville and Bowling Green kids. St Joe trying to get it going again - not anytime soon. Findlay might think GLVC basketball is attractive - U Indy would go for that but I'd rather see U Indy get into a GMAC conference with Hillsdale and OH Dominican along with Findlay.

17. Default Re: GLVC Additions to fill the Bellarmine spot

Under no circumstance will the GLVC approach Oakland City. The entire department is a laughing stock for being a member of DII.

I think Kentucky Wesleyan has a real shot of rejoining the league. Missouri Southern and the GLVC had a little mutual interest before it was decided SBU and Lindenwood would be invited, but I think it's time the league begins to focus on keeping UIndy and Southern Indiana happy. If another Missouri school is added to replace Bellarmine, the inevitable fate of UIndy to the G-MAC speeds up even more so with Bellarmine leaving.

I'd watch for a school near Chicago or KWC. It's been rumored for years about Marian jumping from NAIA to NCAA, but there's never been any steam.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfGLVC View Post
    I think it's time the league begins to focus on keeping UIndy and Southern Indiana happy.
    This is a complete shot out there, but hear me out. The league continues to move further and further west. With 10 of its members west of the Mississippi River, what is the incentive to make UIndy and Southern Indiana happy? I 100% respect the fact that they were charter members of the league, but the GLVC is feeling the same way that the MIAA started to feel before Truman left. The league continued to move further and further west, gobbling up programs like Fort Hays State, Nebraska-Kearney, Central Oklahoma and Northeastern State. At some point, the MIAA just made the decision that Kansas City was going to be the center of the league, and that made it geographically (and budget-wise) irresponsible for Truman to continue in that league.

If UIndy decides to go to the GMAC? OK, fine, the GLVC can talk to Missouri Southern. If USI wants to go D1? OK, fine. I've always felt that a 12 or 14 team league is the perfect number for scheduling. The biggest thing will be replacing a school that leaves that has football with one that has football to help with conference scheduling.

But I think the writing is on the wall - - St. Louis is the "center" of the GLVC universe now, not Indianapolis anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    This is a complete shot out there, but hear me out. The league continues to move further and further west. With 10 of its members west of the Mississippi River, what is the incentive to make UIndy and Southern Indiana happy? I 100% respect the fact that they were charter members of the league, but the GLVC is feeling the same way that the MIAA started to feel before Truman left. The league continued to move further and further west, gobbling up programs like Fort Hays State, Nebraska-Kearney, Central Oklahoma and Northeastern State. At some point, the MIAA just made the decision that Kansas City was going to be the center of the league, and that made it geographically (and budget-wise) irresponsible for Truman to continue in that league.

If UIndy decides to go to the GMAC? OK, fine, the GLVC can talk to Missouri Southern. If USI wants to go D1? OK, fine. I've always felt that a 12 or 14 team league is the perfect number for scheduling. The biggest thing will be replacing a school that leaves that has football with one that has football to help with conference scheduling.

But I think the writing is on the wall - - St. Louis is the "center" of the GLVC universe now, not Indianapolis anymore.
    Has there been any discussion of renaming the league? Kind of what the MIAA did when schools from outside Missouri entered the league.
    I don't know if there is an actual Great Lakes Valley but according to a map I found from the Army Corps of Engineers it looks like only three (Lewis, Indy and USI) of the 16 core members are really in the Great Lakes Region.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Has there been any discussion of renaming the league? Kind of what the MIAA did when schools from outside Missouri entered the league.
    I don't know if there is an actual Great Lakes Valley but according to a map I found from the Army Corps of Engineers it looks like only three (Lewis, Indy and USI) of the 16 core members are really in the Great Lakes Region.
    UIndy and USI leave. Remaining members rebrand as the Missouri-Illinois Athletic Association.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast