Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 86

Thread: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

  1. #21

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by rmclean View Post
    Announcement on the field and locker room expansion came out in early June. As far as the road schedule, Angelo, Kingsville, and WT are very winnable games, series in which the Lions have been dominant. Also, there is an 11 game schedule. As of now, we play Nuevo Leon Academy September 7th. They're Mexico's best American football program, and played Kingsville tough last season.
    They are NOT D2. So it might as well be a scrimmage. It won’t count as far as playoffs are concerned.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    188670

    Default Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by rmclean View Post
    Announcement on the field and locker room expansion came out in early June. As far as the road schedule, Angelo, Kingsville, and WT are very winnable games, series in which the Lions have been dominant. Also, there is an 11 game schedule. As of now, we play Nuevo Leon Academy September 7th. They're Mexico's best American football program, and played Kingsville tough last season.

    We didn’t play Nuevo León last season nor have we played them ever. We did play Monterrey Tech five or six years ago.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Commerce, America
    Posts
    1,890
    Rep Power
    435120

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by rmclean View Post
    Announcement on the field and locker room expansion came out in early June. As far as the road schedule, Angelo, Kingsville, and WT are very winnable games, series in which the Lions have been dominant. Also, there is an 11 game schedule. As of now, we play Nuevo Leon Academy September 7th. They're Mexico's best American football program, and played Kingsville tough last season.
    Yeah, they are winnable games, so are the Tarleton and Pueblo games. But they are tough road games. Hell Kingsville almost beat us last year and should be better. Angelo will be better than they have been the last 3 years, and playing WT at home is playing WT at home. Commerce should be better than last year too, but it's a whole new coaching staff and the room for error is slim for us this year. The game against the Mexico team, as noted, doesnt help in any way. As far as the field crap, I been a season ticket holder and employed here since 99 and the first I heard of it was the post by lionwire a while ago on this message board. No campus announcement, no notification to ticket holders, no email to faculty or staff, and no announcement in the weekly "campus news" email they send to everyone. Also, yogi gallegos left and not a word. Also not a word about reruiting by any program on campus since bailiff posted the fb recruits, a few of which already havent panned out. The silence around here is deafening.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    5,145
    Rep Power
    485325

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Observer View Post
    The same way we do every year, we recruited 2 years prior to his senior year. I think we will see a more run oriented offense since Coach Austin left for FCS Eastern Kentucky. The O line coach is now the OC.
    Maskill likes to poke fun at easterns offense but his heart is old school, if he doesnt have to throw it he doesnt want to, its his formula fo winning in the LSC vs spread teams. He has faster lighter d lineman that pass rush really well and lbs that are more like strong safeties to cover, coupled with a run first offense, if he gets the lead he is hard to stop as those 4 dls just t off on the qb and the lbs and safeties step back into pass def.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    portales, nm
    Posts
    5,145
    Rep Power
    485325

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    I think you are right. ENMU will be overlooked this season.....and think they will be better than 2018.
    It all comes down to timing. Of the top 6 programs right now Eastern has had the least amount of change in the coaching level and players. That helps ALOT in D2 football.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    8874

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
    Not sure it's the best, just the easiest.
    I wonder what was WT pre season poll in 2005 or commerce 2013?
    I am assuming death last or close to it.

  7. Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by rmclean View Post
    Announcement on the field and locker room expansion came out in early June. As far as the road schedule, Angelo, Kingsville, and WT are very winnable games, series in which the Lions have been dominant. Also, there is an 11 game schedule. As of now, we play Nuevo Leon Academy September 7th. They're Mexico's best American football program, and played Kingsville tough last season.


    ????
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    8874

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    ????
    I don’t think they are best but top 5. For sure
    They play on Onefa league. The oldest league but to me not the best league, CONADEIP is the best league and to me borregos Toluca is a much better team than Nuevo León. But they are a top tier team for sure.
    Last edited by chivas_gold; 07-08-2019 at 12:09 PM.

  9. Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by chivas_gold View Post
    I don’t think they are best but top 5. For sure
    They play on Onefa league. The oldest league but to me not the best league, CONADEIP is the best league and to me borregos Toluca is a much better team than Nuevo León. But they are a top tier team for sure.
    I was hoping rmclean could expand on the tough game against Kingsville last year.
    Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Amarillo, Texas, United States
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    8874

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by JavsFan View Post
    I was hoping rmclean could expand on the tough game against Kingsville last year.
    He probably confuse Monterrey tech with Nuevo León, also confuse the year(2013). Was it Kingsville and Monterrey game on the last year of LSC festival? It’s probably a tune up game. With better competition than most NAIA school can provide, but I don’t think it help or hurt as far playoffs goes as they are not part of NCAA. Unless they are on the burble for the playoff. If they win out I don’t think it will matter but if they drop 2 it may come into effect for SOS

    PS Monterrey tech played well against Kingsville on second half and I think they game went to triple OT. if I recall correctly. I believe Monterrey was rebuilding years, because the whole ONEFA deal.
    Last edited by chivas_gold; 07-08-2019 at 01:06 PM.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    23646

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by chivas_gold View Post
    He probably confuse Monterrey tech with Nuevo León, also confuse the year(2013). Was it Kingsville and Monterrey game on the last year of LSC festival? It’s probably a tune up game. With better competition than most NAIA school can provide, but I don’t think it help or hurt as far playoffs goes as they are not part of NCAA. Unless they are on the burble for the playoff. If they win out I don’t think it will matter but if they drop 2 it may come into effect for SOS

    PS Monterrey tech played well against Kingsville on second half and I think they game went to triple OT. if I recall correctly. I believe Monterrey was rebuilding years, because the whole ONEFA deal.
    yes, he got that faulty information from me. I remember the triple OT win that Kingsville gutted out over Monterrey Tech back at JerryWorld in 2013. That was on me.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    23646

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Yeah, they are winnable games, so are the Tarleton and Pueblo games. But they are tough road games. Hell Kingsville almost beat us last year and should be better. Angelo will be better than they have been the last 3 years, and playing WT at home is playing WT at home. Commerce should be better than last year too, but it's a whole new coaching staff and the room for error is slim for us this year. The game against the Mexico team, as noted, doesnt help in any way. As far as the field crap, I been a season ticket holder and employed here since 99 and the first I heard of it was the post by lionwire a while ago on this message board. No campus announcement, no notification to ticket holders, no email to faculty or staff, and no announcement in the weekly "campus news" email they send to everyone. Also, yogi gallegos left and not a word. Also not a word about reruiting by any program on campus since bailiff posted the fb recruits, a few of which already havent panned out. The silence around here is deafening.
    I saw Yogi is no longer on the coaching staff. Where did he go?

  13. #33

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLionWire View Post
    I saw Yogi is no longer on the coaching staff. Where did he go?
    His confidence can't be shaken, which is why David Bailiff can usually be found with a smile on his face — even when there doesn't seem to be much to smile about.

    “Things have to align right,” the Rice coach said. “Sometimes, coaching has nothing to do with it.”

    Still remember reading this in the Chronicle some years ago. Not sure what planet this guy is on sometimes. He wouldn’t have lasted anywhere else as long but Rice. No expectations at all.

    He doesn’t or should I say never ran a tight ship at Rice.

    I’m thinking finishing 3rd may be to high in the LSC the more my memory of his style of coaching rears it’s head.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    188670

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by chivas_gold View Post
    He probably confuse Monterrey tech with Nuevo León, also confuse the year(2013). Was it Kingsville and Monterrey game on the last year of LSC festival? It’s probably a tune up game. With better competition than most NAIA school can provide, but I don’t think it help or hurt as far playoffs goes as they are not part of NCAA. Unless they are on the burble for the playoff. If they win out I don’t think it will matter but if they drop 2 it may come into effect for SOS

    PS Monterrey tech played well against Kingsville on second half and I think they game went to triple OT. if I recall correctly. I believe Monterrey was rebuilding years, because the whole ONEFA deal.
    The NCAA ruled the game an exhibition and it didn't count on TAMUK's record. If you go to the TAMUK website, the score isn't listed on the archived schedule. I recall watching it online and felt indeed this was another turning point in what has now become a seven year run of mediocrity in Kingsville. And I using mediocrity loosely.

    It's possible the NCAA will treat the Nuevo Leon game with Commerce the same.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    15,330
    Rep Power
    188670

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    His confidence can't be shaken, which is why David Bailiff can usually be found with a smile on his face — even when there doesn't seem to be much to smile about.

    “Things have to align right,” the Rice coach said. “Sometimes, coaching has nothing to do with it.”

    Still remember reading this in the Chronicle some years ago. Not sure what planet this guy is on sometimes. He wouldn’t have lasted anywhere else as long but Rice. No expectations at all.

    He doesn’t or should I say never ran a tight ship at Rice.

    I’m thinking finishing 3rd may be to high in the LSC the more my memory of his style of coaching rears it’s head.
    Baliff had one good season at Texas State and he blew it that season as well. He had this all world transfer QB from Cougar High and Texas State finally made the playoffs after two decades of not seeing the post season.

    Their semi final playoff game against Northern Iowa was a disaster. If I recall, UNI tied the game and a minute and some change was still on the clock for Texas State to at least try to get into FG position to win it. Bailiff decides to play it safe and run the clock so they can go into OT were they preceded to lose the game. Brilliant!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Baliff had one good season at Texas State and he blew it that season as well. He had this all world transfer QB from Cougar High and Texas State finally made the playoffs after two decades of not seeing the post season.

    Their semi final playoff game against Northern Iowa was a disaster. If I recall, UNI tied the game and a minute and some change was still on the clock for Texas State to at least try to get into FG position to win it. Bailiff decides to play it safe and run the clock so they can go into OT were they preceded to lose the game. Brilliant!
    Something Herman Edwards comes to mind. Something about playing to win...

  17. Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    1.Tarleton
    2. Midwestern
    3. TAMUC
    4. Angelo State
    5. WT
    6. ENMU
    7.TAMUK
    8. UTPB
    9.WNMU

    Interesting that Commerce was picked 3rd. Lack of confidence in new HC my guess. Everyone else just seemed like they looked at last years final standings. WT at 5 might not set well with some.
    Being picked in the middle of the pack could be an advantage for the WT. Perhaps the Bluffs could be over looked and be in a position to spring an upset or two during the season.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    6,267
    Rep Power
    57536

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
    Being picked in the middle of the pack could be an advantage for the WT. Perhaps the Bluffs could be over looked and be in a position to spring an upset or two during the season.
    IDK. I use to thing ASU would do that, but somehow wound up mediocre almost every season.

    WT is entering SIX years since they made any noise. Hughes, going into his 4th season, is 15-18. EXACTLY the same W/L as ASUs Will Wagner at the same point of his career at ASU. If Hughes continues on the same path, the new stadium will give the team a huge boost and he will make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and lose to the 2019 NC. Anything less will be worst than Wagner did.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    IDK. I use to thing ASU would do that, but somehow wound up mediocre almost every season.

    WT is entering SIX years since they made any noise. Hughes, going into his 4th season, is 15-18. EXACTLY the same W/L as ASUs Will Wagner at the same point of his career at ASU. If Hughes continues on the same path, the new stadium will give the team a huge boost and he will make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and lose to the 2019 NC. Anything less will be worst than Wagner did.

    WT fans should know their football fate early on this fall. If they struggle against Jewell in week 2 or get blown out against Tarleton in week three then they aren’t any better this year than last. QB play at WT has been anemic and if that doesn’t improve expect much of the same. I would think 7-4 would at least keep the WT wolves at bay for one more season. Anything less than that I expect the Hughes optimism ballon to start losing hot air.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Dave Campbell’s Texas Football LSC 2019 Prediction

    Pops, any thoughts on Texas Football picking ASU at 4?

    Still skeptical of new management running the show so if there is a 6 or lower finish what’s next?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •