Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New WJU MBB HC

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New WJU MBB HC

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Don't know enough about WV politics to say for sure, but a committee of "academic affairs, financial aid, finance and legal offices" would seem to have a pretty difficult time justifying the continued existence of the school. Perhaps a white knight, other than the Wheeling diocese, could be found.
    Why? Do you have insight on the academic affairs, financial aid, finance and legal? I mean, beyond what people are speculating about. I would expect their decision will be more based on what the schools current financial situation and it's plan moving forward. As a state agency, I would expect that the vote of confidence from the Governor would carry considerable weight with the HEPC.

I would imagine that the HEPC will vote to put WU on "probation" as they did with AB for the last 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Why? Do you have insight on the academic affairs, financial aid, finance and legal? I mean, beyond what people are speculating about. I would expect their decision will be more based on what the schools current financial situation and it's plan moving forward. As a state agency, I would expect that the vote of confidence from the Governor would carry considerable weight with the HEPC.

I would imagine that the HEPC will vote to put WU on "probation" as they did with AB for the last 5 years or so.
    As I said I haven't a clue how the HEPC would react to the governor's endorsement. Is the HEPC a committee that takes it's work very seriously, a rubber stamp or something in between. Getting odd cash infusions of $2M, the same day that the President and Senior VP are placed on administrative leave seems odd. But I'll defer to your WV expertise until the other shoe drops.

As I said I haven't a clue how the HEPC would react to the governor's endorsement. Is the HEPC a committee that takes it's work very seriously, a rubber stamp or something in between. Getting odd cash infusions of $2M, the same day that the President and Senior VP are placed on administrative leave seems odd. But I'll defer to your WV expertise until the other shoe drops.
    Governors endorsement could be a political motive. Kind of like congressmen who vote against a bill they secretly support ( but is opposed in their home district) when they know they are not the deciding vote in order to have political cover in their district.

Being reported that the WVHEPC Chancelor stated this evening that they would be reauthorizing WU when the commission votes Friday.

WV Governor at WU says that WU will not close on his watch.

Looks like the WU board will get the chance to work their recovery plan. Also looks like we can stop speculating about weather WU will open this year...OR if they will open next year.

Looks like the WU board will get the chance to work their recovery plan. Also looks like we can stop speculating about weather WU will open this year...OR if they will open next year.
    Excuse me if I have doubts about a REPUBLICAN-DEMOCRAT-REPUBLICAN, COAL MINE OWNER and BFF OF THE CON MAN IN CHIEF. Of course as the wealthiest man in WV he may just buy the school and rename it JUSTICE U.

HEPC Recommendation was to allow wu to grant degrees in 2020, which is good news for seniors and the compassionate thing to do. No further commitment is stated. Heard rumor of only 400 enrolled. Anyone know number of full time students for 2019?

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/14/he...ng-university/

I am curious to understand how state of wv can keep wu from closing in addition to those initiatives that were already in place- pell grants ( not limited to wu) , tuition deduction, waiving property tax on private school, etc. I don’t think they can issue funds directly to bail out a private college. If am I missing something? Or were the politicians’ assurances just hot air? Having wvu buy it and convert to public branch might count as not closing on his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    I am curious to understand how state of wv can keep wu from closing in addition to those initiatives that were already in place- pell grants ( not limited to wu) , tuition deduction, waiving property tax on private school, etc. I don’t think they can issue funds directly to bail out a private college. If am I missing something? Or were the politicians’ assurances just hot air? Having wvu buy it and convert to public branch might count as not closing on his watch.
    Reference: Cheyney

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Not really comparable. Public vs private. HBC vs Catholic. Part of PASSHE vs independent
    Opening a WVU branch/feeder strikes me as the most sensible option.

Not really comparable. Public vs private. HBC vs Catholic. Part of PASSHE vs independent
    Opening a WVU branch/feeder strikes me as the most sensible option.
    Not sure. Are they still considered private if the state is taking over financially in a bailout?

I don't know the answer ... just thinking out loud. But the bailout would be state money.

I don't know the answer ... just thinking out loud. But the bailout would be state money.
    Apparently private but who knows in WV.

I too, am just thinking out loud. Any direct bailout with taxpayer $ (as opposed to the existing indirect aid such as waiving property taxes, giving students tuition deduction, etc.) would seem to only be constitutional if the buyout resulted in the physical plant and the college being converted to a public school (i.e., branch of WVU). Of course, one would argue that it is not the same school, as it would be secular, etc., but the counterargument would be that it would preserve some jobs (and votes LOL).

I too, am just thinking out loud. Any direct bailout with taxpayer $ (as opposed to the existing indirect aid such as waiving property taxes, giving students tuition deduction, etc.) would seem to only be constitutional if the buyout resulted in the physical plant and the college being converted to a public school (i.e., branch of WVU). Of course, one would argue that it is not the same school, as it would be secular, etc., but the counterargument would be that it would preserve some jobs (and votes LOL).
    Yeah ... even a small school like Wheeling does employ a lot of people.

Yeah ... even a small school like Wheeling does employ a lot of people.
    Given the number of staff necessary to operate the physical plant and administer the school, you'd probably be close to a 2 student to 1 employee ratio. Not an ideal business model since full tuition for 2 students would barely cover salary and benefits for that employee.
    Suggest someone choose the Bandaid approach and get it over with.

Last I checked, Cheyney was still open.

Last I checked, Cheyney was still open.
    Correct

HEPC Recommendation was to allow wu to grant degrees in 2020, which is good news for seniors and the compassionate thing to do. No further commitment is stated. Heard rumor of only 400 enrolled. Anyone know number of full time students for 2019?

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/14/he...ng-university/
    HEPC for all WV schools is year to year. For most schools that are in good shape, the review and approval is based on a review of submitted paperwork. If there is a special concern, like this year at WU, the HEPC does a site visit as part of the annual reauthorization process.

I've got no inside info on the current enrolment, but it seems like 400 is the level most people have been pointing to. If these 400 are paying full tuition, that would be almost as much as the school would have received from the 1200 previous student population based on the incredibly high tuition discounts that apparently almost every student at WJU was receiving! I've said all along that the WU plan seems to be to eliminate tuition discounts, cut enrolement to only those paying full tuition, cut staff to a level to support ONLY that base number of students, and then slowly build back to 1200'ish based on students paying full tuition being instructed by a staff that is right sized to do that.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-15-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Given the number of staff necessary to operate the physical plant and administer the school, you'd probably be close to a 2 student to 1 employee ratio. Not an ideal business model since full tuition for 2 students would barely cover salary and benefits for that employee.
    Suggest someone choose the Bandaid approach and get it over with.
    Don't know what the rental contract with the diocese says, but typically the owner of the property is responsible for caring for the physical plant. Quite possible that the facility maintenance people are technically employed (and paid) by the Church and not WU.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast