Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Midsummer football talk...

Contribute to D2

Default Midsummer football talk...

RAMS 1st year in PSAC has a pretty nice schedule. Home game vs ODU could be tough, but two trips to WEST for MC and CU shouldn't be much of a problem. After that it's pretty much alternating hard/easy with the exception of SHIP and WCU in weeks 6&7. Nice part is none of the WEST 3 to contend with. I'm interested to see if the rumor of PSAC overall strength is true or not. Over/under last year's 7-3 record ?

Default Re: Midsummer football talk...

I honestly believe they'll be able to jump right into the conference and at a minimum compete instantly with WCU, Kutztown, Ship and Bloom for the East title. If I had to guess I'd say WCU obviously is the front runner followed by Kutztown, Ship, Shepherd and Bloomsburg. The addition of the Rams strengthens the East and makes them on par 1-5 with the West (Rock, Cal, IUP, Boro, Mercyhurst)

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    I honestly believe they'll be able to jump right into the conference and at a minimum compete instantly with WCU, Kutztown, Ship and Bloom for the East title. If I had to guess I'd say WCU obviously is the front runner followed by Kutztown, Ship, Shepherd and Bloomsburg. The addition of the Rams strengthens the East and makes them on par 1-5 with the West (Rock, Cal, IUP, Boro, Mercyhurst)
    ODU game is very important. If they lose THAT and win givens vs MC, CU, LHU, VILLE, ESU and SHU, they'll need to take 2of 3 vs KUTZ, SHIP and WCU to top '18's 7-3. Fortunately all three are at S'TOWN. At BLOOM I can't quite figure out. I'll guess 8-3 for this year. Like I said, pretty nice first year schedule.

Nobody asked me but I'm penciling in Shepherd to win the PSAC East in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    Duly noted. Their biggest competitors ??

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Duly noted. Their biggest competitors ??
    ... are in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    Matt,

If Shepherd can find a running game then I JUST MIGHT agree with you. Their "tough" opponents are at home, but they still going to need a running game.

I'm trying to be optimistic but with a 2nd yr HC that I'm not sold on (GREAT offensive coordinator) just yet, 3 or 4 coaches entering their first year with the Rams, moving to a new conference and facing new opponents, traveling/playing in new stadiums and adding an 11th game against probably the toughest opponent the Rams have faced during a regular season (not counting playoffs of course) ---
    I'm thinking they will finish 6-5 for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by nova2wv View Post
    I'm trying to be optimistic but with a 2nd yr HC that I'm not sold on (GREAT offensive coordinator) just yet, 3 or 4 coaches entering their first year with the Rams, moving to a new conference and facing new opponents, traveling/playing in new stadiums and adding an 11th game against probably the toughest opponent the Rams have faced during a regular season (not counting playoffs of course) ---
    I'm thinking they will finish 6-5 for the year.

vs. Ohio Dominican -- tough game

at Mercyhurst -- The Lakers present some challenges and could be pretty good this Fall

at Clarion -- The Golden Eagles play most teams tough. Physical team ... just always a little short on depth due to low scholarship money

vs Kutztown -- Tough out

at Lock Haven -- Snooze Festival

vs Shippensburg -- The start of what should be a great rivalry

vs West Chester -- Tough out

at Millersville -- See Lock Haven

vs East Stroudsburg -- Should be an easy one

at Bloomsburg -- Won't be an easy one

vs Seton Hill -- See Lock Haven

I see (5) easy wins. But, the schedule lines up very nice for the rest with OD, Kutztown, Ship and West Chester all visiting Rams Stadium. The trip to Erie (Mercyhurst) is going to be a tough one. But, as far as visiting new stadiums ... at least for this year, ... Shepherd has an incredibly easy road schedule (with the lone exception being Mercyhurst).

Now, the following year could be a brutal schedule. The Rams will be on the road against the top East teams and could also draw some of the West Big 3 (IUP, Cal, SRU). Avoiding those three this year helps a lot in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    ^^^ Don't get that.

The PSAC East is going to have their hands full with Shepherd's Bagent, if the Rams can replace the production of their top two receivers from last year. Stroud, Ship, Kutz and Lock are among the worst passing defenses in the league. Ville's passing defense doesn't rank poorly, but that's because most opponents are usually running out the clock on them. WCU's pass defense was good last year, but that was last year. They lost two corners and all three linebackers.

Nice addition to the league.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Matt,

If Shepherd can find a running game then I JUST MIGHT agree with you. Their "tough" opponents are at home, but they still going to need a running game.
    True. It can't hurt to be better at running the ball, but...

Last year, when they went 7-3, Shepherd was eighth in the MEC in rushing, at 129 yards per game.
    In 2015, when they went to the national championship game, they were also eighth, at 124 yards per game.

Look at their three losses:
    • They lost to the eventual regional champ (UND) on the road by two points. Allowed 311 rushing yards.
    • lost to Fairmont by 21 because they could not stop the run (possession time was 35-25 Fairmont), had two turnovers, which Fairmont turned into 10 points and forced zero turnovers.
    • and lost the season-ender to UVA Wise 21-16, with the key score being a muffed punt that UVA Wise recovered in the end zone in the fourth quarter. I imagine the Rams' mindset that day was much like IUP's was against Shippensburg.

Plus, judging by the roster, the Rams were insanely young. I think 2018 was an anomaly for Shepherd.

It's going to be interesting now that we have them in the PSAC.
    Last edited by Matt Burglund; 06-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    vs. Ohio Dominican -- tough game

at Mercyhurst -- The Lakers present some challenges and could be pretty good this Fall

at Clarion -- The Golden Eagles play most teams tough. Physical team ... just always a little short on depth due to low scholarship money

vs Kutztown -- Tough out

at Lock Haven -- Snooze Festival

vs Shippensburg -- The start of what should be a great rivalry

vs West Chester -- Tough out

at Millersville -- See Lock Haven

vs East Stroudsburg -- Should be an easy one

at Bloomsburg -- Won't be an easy one

vs Seton Hill -- See Lock Haven

I see (5) easy wins. But, the schedule lines up very nice for the rest with OD, Kutztown, Ship and West Chester all visiting Rams Stadium. The trip to Erie (Mercyhurst) is going to be a tough one. But, as far as visiting new stadiums ... at least for this year, ... Shepherd has an incredibly easy road schedule (with the lone exception being Mercyhurst).

Now, the following year could be a brutal schedule. The Rams will be on the road against the top East teams and could also draw some of the West Big 3 (IUP, Cal, SRU). Avoiding those three this year helps a lot in the regular season.
    I think it plays out that way. Those 5 wins that you have and split the rest for an 8-3 mark. The line play has slowly gotten worse every year since the NC run, culminating in last year. They just haven't been a physical unit and that goes for the DL as well. Run game is going to be paramount to balance a pretty good passing unit. They will have playmakers at multiple spots, but they need to have some semblance of balance.

I know I've already penciled in a trip to Sheperdstown in October for a Bagent-Mussina shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram040506 View Post
    I think it plays out that way. Those 5 wins that you have and split the rest for an 8-3 mark. The line play has slowly gotten worse every year since the NC run, culminating in last year. They just haven't been a physical unit and that goes for the DL as well. Run game is going to be paramount to balance a pretty good passing unit. They will have playmakers at multiple spots, but they need to have some semblance of balance.
    Welcome to the PSAC - nobody makes it out unscathed. The last team to make it into the playoffs undefeated was Cal in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Welcome to the PSAC - nobody makes it out unscathed. The last team to make it into the playoffs undefeated was Cal in 2007.
    You misspelled "IUP in 2017"

You sure about that one?

You actually have to look WAY back in the history book to 2018.
    Last edited by Horror Child; 06-26-2019 at 12:38 PM.

19. Default Re: Midsummer football talk...

Rock has the 19 roster up with a new candidate to replace Wes Hills....Desean Dinkins 6-1 220 Itawamba College ( looks like they play in the Mississippi juco conference) He ran for about 500 yards and 5.6 ypc.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    Rock has the 19 roster up with a new candidate to replace Wes Hills....Desean Dinkins 6-1 220 Itawamba College ( looks like they play in the Mississippi juco conference) He ran for about 500 yards and 5.6 ypc.

They have 24 transfers listed. What must Dr. Evil be thinking?

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast