Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Contribute to D2

Default OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Looks like more realignment shakeups are occurring now that summer is upon us.
    In the last six month, Augustana (South Dakota), Dixie State (Utah), and now Bellarmine (Kentucky) have all decided to move up to Division 1.
    Metro State and Colorado Mesa were linked to the WAC but neither moved.

Now, UConn is backing out of the American Conference to rejoin their friends in the Big East Conference.
    Missouri-Kansas City has informed the WAC that they are bailing out next year and will join the Summit (Dakotas, Nebraska, and Colorado).

Now that the WAC is light another member, What other changes lay in store?
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

Default Re: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Wouldn't be surprised if UConn went FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes88 View Post
    They have been before.

From all indications, they're not even considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblot View Post
    So they'll keep football in the AAC?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    In the last six month, Augustana (South Dakota), Dixie State (Utah), and now Bellarmine (Kentucky) have all decided to move up to Division 1.

Now, UConn is backing out of the American Conference to rejoin their friends in the Big East Conference.
    Missouri-Kansas City has informed the WAC that they are bailing out next year and will join the Summit (Dakotas, Nebraska, and Colorado).

I wonder if Dixie State football has a snow ball’s chance in h3ll in the withering WAC. Someone in the WAC head office needs to wake up and sponsor FCS or face complete dissolution of the conference. They are a just one defection and one Chicago State collapse from not being a Conference.

State of Illinois has lost 100,000 student enrollment between 2008-18. I assume by now Chicago State have either 1000 or less undergrads. I have to give it those running the University because they have done a great job keeping the situation mum all the while scarfing up as much as they can from the slush fund.

Augustana would be a good fit for the Summit. Although, the school is just too small to carry the financial burden of D1. I really think they need to get their enrollment numbers up before trying to make the move.

They'll probably end up as an independent.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post

UConn to the Big East, in my opinion, is a Big Mistake. Granted, they'll renew rivalries with St. John's, Villanova and Georgetown, but I would think that the ACC would've been a better fit, especially since they'd be reunited with Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Virginia Tech and Miami (more so the first three than the latter two).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Since they're leaving the AAC, they can't keep their football program in that league. The only viable option other than being an independent (ask UMass how that's working out; it doesn't look too good up in Amherst) could be the MAC.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Since they're leaving the AAC, they can't keep their football program in that league. The only viable option other than being an independent (ask UMass how that's working out; it doesn't look too good up in Amherst) could be the MAC.
    https://watchstadium.com/news/how-uc...6-24-2019/amp/

Seems that the MAC isn't interested in football only.

https://watchstadium.com/news/how-uc...6-24-2019/amp/

Seems that the MAC isn't interested in football only.
    Yeah, the MAC wants full members not football only. In any event, UConns football isnt great anyway.
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

I keep wondering if FOX (who owns BE basketball rights and a decent percentage of B1G football rights), the B1G, and BTN (Fox/B1G jointly owned) have something up their sleeve that everyone is missing. Maybe the B1G guarantees a certain number of out of conference FB games to UConn. Maybe BTN gets to air the games --even the UConn home games. Maybe there are some B1G/UConn BB games negotiated too. The B1G has certainly been trying to increase its presence in the NYC and eastern markets. Could this present a way of doing it and making money on it without adding a member?

I haven't thought this all the way through, but feel like there should be some kind of a fiscal and scheduling win-win-win for UConn, the B1G and Fox here.

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

I'm working with the assumption that UCONN goes FBS independent in football.

Then what does the AAC and Big East do?
    Standing pat at 11 is an odd number, no pun intended, but it has precedent B1G and the Southland Conference.
    AAC-simplest answer would be to add Army as a football only member (as is Navy), and poach an A-10/MVC team? SLU? VCU?
    Big East-Saint Louis comes to mind (Catholic Jesuit school to boot.)

Other options for the AAC would be to poach another CUSA, Sun Belt team, and see if those conferences would take another team, NMSU, a SLC team etc.
    That would be fun to discuss but I think it won't happen.
    Go Bronchos!

Quote Originally Posted by UCObluejay View Post
    I'm working with the assumption that UCONN goes FBS independent in football.

Then what does the AAC and Big East do?
    Standing pat at 11 is an odd number, no pun intended, but it has precedent B1G and the Southland Conference.
    AAC-simplest answer would be to add Army as a football only member (as is Navy), and poach an A-10/MVC team? SLU? VCU?
    Big East-Saint Louis comes to mind (Catholic Jesuit school to boot.)

Other options for the AAC would be to poach another CUSA, Sun Belt team, and see if those conferences would take another team, NMSU, a SLC team etc.
    That would be fun to discuss but I think it won't happen.
    All indications are the AAC will stay with 11.
    The best team I've seen affiliated with a conference change is Appalachian State.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblot View Post
    I don't think any member of a P5 conference is going to be leaving a P5 conference. That would be like an NFL franchise leaving the league to join Arena league.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    I don't think any member of a P5 conference is going to be leaving a P5 conference. That would be like an NFL franchise leaving the league to join Arena league.
    UCONN is not in a P5 (Big 12, Big 10, ACC, SEC, and PAC 12) conference. They are in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) which is a G5 conference (2nd tier of FBS). Granted the AAC is arguably the top of the G5 (AAC, Sun Belt, MAC, Mountain West, and Conference USA) but there is a large gap between the AAC and the P5 conferences.

Last I seen/heard they will be a football independent if the move happens.

Quote Originally Posted by texcap View Post
    UCONN is not in a P5 (Big 12, Big 10, ACC, SEC, and PAC 12) conference. They are in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) which is a G5 conference (2nd tier of FBS). Granted the AAC is arguably the top of the G5 (AAC, Sun Belt, MAC, Mountain West, and Conference USA) but there is a large gap between the AAC and the P5 conferences.
    I stand corrected. For some reason i was thinking they were ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Hawk View Post
    Last I seen/heard they will be a football independent if the move happens.
    So, wanting to be UMass I see. Well good luck.

Uconn went from a little country side school surrounded by cow pastures to what they are now on basketball. Football is an afterthought there, and always will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast