Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Contribute to D2

Default Re: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Quote Originally Posted by UCObluejay View Post
    I'm working with the assumption that UCONN goes FBS independent in football.

Then what does the AAC and Big East do?
    Standing pat at 11 is an odd number, no pun intended, but it has precedent B1G and the Southland Conference.
    AAC-simplest answer would be to add Army as a football only member (as is Navy), and poach an A-10/MVC team? SLU? VCU?
    Big East-Saint Louis comes to mind (Catholic Jesuit school to boot.)

Other options for the AAC would be to poach another CUSA, Sun Belt team, and see if those conferences would take another team, NMSU, a SLC team etc.
    That would be fun to discuss but I think it won't happen.
    Of the potential A-10 poachees the Big East could target, St. Louis makes the most sense. SLU seems to fit in the western edges of the Big East's footprint (Creighton, DePaul, Marquette) better than they do as the westernmost school in the A-10 as their nearest eastern-most A-10 rival is Dayton.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Street View Post
    I stand corrected. For some reason i was thinking they were ACC.
    For what it's worth, I personally would've thought the ACC would be a better fit for UConn rather than the Big East. At least their train wreck of a football program would have a conference to call home and would blend in perfectly with other ACC football train wrecks like Boston College.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

3. Default Re: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Dayton makes most sense to make Big East even number of teams, if Xavier is okay with that addition.

One possibility would be a scheduling alliance with the MAC, for UMass also. I wonder if 4-6 MAC home and home non-conference games, MAC would allow both as football only.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioD2 View Post
    One possibility would be a scheduling alliance with the MAC, for UMass also. I wonder if 4-6 MAC home and home non-conference games, MAC would allow both as football only.
    If UConn wants to be in a conference for football - I get it that they might need to go the MAC or Sunbelt route (if those conferences will have them). However, if they want a scheduling alliance, I would think bigger and knock on the B1G and ACC doors.

As bad as they have been at football lately, UConn is still a brand name and a state flagship university. Both the B1G and the ACC have Northeast schools and networks that need content. Both have made recent expansion and venue investments (bowl games, championship tournaments, etc) in the Northeast. Games against Maryland, Rutgers and Penn State / Boston College, Pitt and Syracuse make sense. Then, mix some of the other schools in there on a less regular basis. I don't think that all series would be on a home and home basis, but I would think some matrix that provides a decent number of home games could be worked out.

I would think that both the B1G/Fox/BTN and the ACC/ESPN/ACCN could work something out where Fox/BTN and ESPN/ACCN get carriage rights to all games. If you got 3 games a year from each arrangement, that would give you 6 P5 games a year. Honestly, I would even think that 2.5 games a year from each conference would really help.

Edit: Almost forgot - no need for a Big XII arrangement, but just a fairly regular series with WVU should also be considered.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 06-27-2019 at 10:19 AM.

5. Default Re: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    If UConn wants to be in a conference for football - I get it that they might need to go the MAC or Sunbelt route (if those conferences will have them). However, if they want a scheduling alliance, I would think bigger and knock on the B1G and ACC doors.

As bad as they have been at football lately, UConn is still a brand name and a state flagship university.
    Our perception of UConn football is on polar ends. They would need to add something to be football only in a G5 conference. They add nothing to P5 scheduling alliance.
    The pride of the school will probably end them up as an independent with NMSU, UMass, & Liberty when really should be in the CAA with JMU, Maine, & Delaware.

I don’t know that our perception is different. I picture UConn replacing MAC/CUSA/Sunbelt types on the schedule. This would not be a P5 school’s premier out of conference game.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Has UConn said anything about their football program- other than "we are looking into possibilities". I'm trying to think of what they can offer any conference as a football only member. I'm betting on the independence route like UMass, since they will be too stubborn to go FCS.

8. Default Re: OT - College Realignment June 2019 edition

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I don’t know that our perception is different. I picture UConn replacing MAC/CUSA/Sunbelt types on the schedule. This would not be a P5 school’s premier out of conference game.
    My impression is that the B!G will continue schedule down to MAC locally and the SEC loves it self some late season FCS Southern and early CUSA/Sunbelt.
    Unless the perception changes of a team that's only win was against a middle of the pack FCS CAA school by one score, then they get leftovers.
    They may need to big in more than one FCS a year to get some home games.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    Looks like more realignment shakeups are occurring now that summer is upon us.
    In the last six month, Augustana (South Dakota), Dixie State (Utah), and now Bellarmine (Kentucky) have all decided to move up to Division 1.
    Metro State and Colorado Mesa were linked to the WAC but neither moved.

Now, UConn is backing out of the American Conference to rejoin their friends in the Big East Conference.
    Missouri-Kansas City has informed the WAC that they are bailing out next year and will join the Summit (Dakotas, Nebraska, and Colorado).

Now that the WAC is light another member, What other changes lay in store?
    So, apparently the outgoing President at Tarleton was against moving up. With his departure, does that mean the AD will be in full court pressure mode for the new President?

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    Has UConn said anything about their football program- other than "we are looking into possibilities". I'm trying to think of what they can offer any conference as a football only member. I'm betting on the independence route like UMass, since they will be too stubborn to go FCS.
    They can offer a tune up game that counts as a conference game? Other than that and a trip to Connecticut every other year, not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    So, apparently the outgoing President at Tarleton was against moving up. With his departure, does that mean the AD will be in full court pressure mode for the new President?
    Probably. Then again, if I was on the hiring committee for my boss, I would pay attention to the topic
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

It wasn't just Dottavio.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUPops View Post
    It wasn't just Dottavio.
    Yeah, just heard from some alums how their fundraisers are setting new records every year and that the incoming Pres is on board for D1. So, here it goes again a new round of pushing D1. I will say this in their defense, they are in a lot better financial shape than Bellarmine and Dixie State to make the move.

Not sure where this info is coming from, but it is incorrect. Moving up to D1 and 15,000 enrollment is part of the master plan put forth by the current prez just a few years ago. Members of the Stephenville business community are also in support of the move up as they believe a move up helps the tax base.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanFan View Post
    Not sure where this info is coming from, but it is incorrect. Moving up to D1 and 15,000 enrollment is part of the master plan put forth by the current prez just a few years ago. Members of the Stephenville business community are also in support of the move up as they believe a move up helps the tax base.
    Not sure when he wasn’t so enthused with the idea. There is a lot of undercurrent. One thing is for sure he has been one of the most successful University Presidents in the state of Texas.

I’ve heard talk of raising admissions standards to slow growth. That would definitely not be to his liking.

Not sure when he wasn’t so enthused with the idea. There is a lot of undercurrent. One thing is for sure he has been one of the most successful University Presidents in the state of Texas.
    I’ve heard talk of raising admissions standards to slow growth. That would definitely not be to his liking.
    I haven't had enough conversations with Dr. Dottavio to know his true stance on the issue. He could be in favor of it because it grows the Tarleton brand. He could be against it because it pulls resources away from other capitol projects. This is a common dilemma on college campuses.

Moving to D1 has been in the Campus Master plan since the early-2000s and we've seen the most stride in making that a reality under his watch. A dedicated athletic fee has increased, facilities have improved, a consultant was hired for the move and recommended it, and stakeholders from around the university have echoed it. The item truely preventing the move seems to be a lack of spot in D1. The Southland is preferred but not ready to move. Based on gossip, the WAC was ready to offer but Tarleton has not accepted because football needs a home
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu View Post
    I haven't had enough conversations with Dr. Dottavio to know his true stance on the issue. He could be in favor of it because it grows the Tarleton brand. He could be against it because it pulls resources away from other capitol projects. This is a common dilemma on college campuses.

Moving to D1 has been in the Campus Master plan since the early-2000s and we've seen the most stride in making that a reality under his watch. A dedicated athletic fee has increased, facilities have improved, a consultant was hired for the move and recommended it, and stakeholders from around the university have echoed it. The item truely preventing the move seems to be a lack of spot in D1. The Southland is preferred but not ready to move. Based on gossip, the WAC was ready to offer but Tarleton has not accepted because football needs a home
    I believe this statement to be 100% true. The WAC cannot be choosy or picky. Might as well scratch Chicago State next with little to no funding and no one within several hundreds of miles from them why even bother. I cannot understand why they will NOT sponsor FCS football and at the very least give the Conference a fighting chance. Even if it is a separate like the Missouri Valley FCS.

The WAC also offered Metro State, Colorado Mesa and Dixie State. Only Dixie made the jump and I am not sure that their football program will survive the jump. The other two declined.
    Last edited by Techster88; 07-01-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12