Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSC considering adding e-Sports

Contribute to D2

Default WSC considering adding e-Sports

Link: http://norfolkdailynews.com/news/way...5b3e27928.html

Wayne State Plans to Create E-Sports Club, Build Facility
    Norfolk Daily News

Wayne State College is exploring esports -- competitive online gaming -- as a new club activity, and administrators hope to build a facility to accommodate the sport.

The program would be a welcome addition to the college, which currently has 13 varsity programs and six club programs, said Mike Powicki, Wayne State director of athletics.

"It's an opportunity for Wayne State College to show students that we're fairly dynamic and trying to meet the needs of the next generation of students coming in," he said.

Esports on campus includes a team of students competing against another student team on gaming platforms, such as sports and first-person shooters. It has steadily grown in interest among college students who want to continue their passion for competitive gaming -- and administrators are taking advantage of it as another recruitment and retention tool, Powicki said.

"As a culture, esports has grown; it's infiltrated onto college campuses and you see students bring this desire and say, 'We'd like to have an esports team,' just like flag football or soccer team," he said. "They want a place to compete and college campuses have embraced that....It's a recruitment tool, engagement tool, encourages connection between colleges."

There are 500 esports club programs across the country, and 90 varsity teams complete with a coach, Powicki said. But whether it's at the varsity or club level, most campuses that formalize esports have an arena: a computer lab with powerful PCs and gaming consoles for team members to practice as well as compete against other teams.

Within Wayne State's NCAA Division II conference, some other colleges have already added esports to their lineup of competitive sports at both the club and varsity levels.

Powicki said the club program at Wayne State would give on-campus students who are already into gaming a more formalized outlet for their interest, as well as bring in more students who are passionate about gaming.

In the 2019-20 academic year, administrators plan to coordinate resources to build the arena and announce the formal program, and by 2020-21, officially launch the club sport complete with its own facility, Powicki said.

Currently, Powicki and others are doing their homework to bring the program to life by talking to other colleges who have esports programs, researching equipment, identifying potential spaces for the facility.

While esports is growing in popularity, some college administrators have misgivings at promoting games that include a lot of violence and an activity that is predominantly male, Powicki said.

But Powicki said he believes the pros outweigh the cons.

"It's still a question mark for a lot of campuses....Those are some of the challenges we're wrangling with," he said. "All in all, it has lots of pluses to it."

Default Re: WSC considering adding e-Sports

That's awesome. Best of luck with it. There's definitely money to be had with this

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    That's awesome. Best of luck with it. There's definitely money to be had with this
    Humans are born with a competitive drive, not evryone have the physical nature for athletic endeavors. What a great outlet for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Humans are born with a competitive drive, not evryone have the physical nature for athletic endeavors. What a great outlet for competition.
    Totally agree with you. I know quite a few people who could have done this in college, that have no business on an athletic field at college level
    Last edited by zimmy21; 06-20-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Totally agree with you. I know white a few people who could have done this in college, that have no business on an athletic field at college level
    Zimmy my friend. That is quite the Freudian slip in your sentence. HaHa!

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Zimmy my friend. That is quite the Freudian slip in your sentence. HaHa!
    Hahahaha that's too funny.... editing now

I know Midland University in Fremont offers esports and provides scholarships for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    I know Midland University in Fremont offers esports and provides scholarships for it.
    That's great. I think Bethany Lutheran here in Kato is looking at adding it

Stole this from another thread but seemed appropriate.

10. Default Re: WSC considering adding e-Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Liver View Post
    Stole this from another thread but seemed appropriate.

You must not watch a whole lot of football.

Quote Originally Posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Lol I'm glad someone else thought that

I watch football every chance I get. Have never played a video game, though. Sausage party? Had to look it up. Thought it was an allusion to "workin' without Annette". Similar, imo, to playin' a video game. Go for it. Exercise those fingers 'n thumbs.

I watch football every chance I get. Have never played a video game, though. Sausage party? Had to look it up. Thought it was an allusion to "workin' without Annette". Similar, imo, to playin' a video game. Go for it. Exercise those fingers 'n thumbs.
    Lots of women play videogames, it is a valid way for people to learn cooperation and teamwork

I am happy you work your fingers on all forums you comment on.

15. Default Re: WSC considering adding e-Sports

So like... you want a medal or something? Maybe it's time to stop commenting on something you don't know much about.

If your angle is "eSports is a sasuage party," then I suggest you start counting the dudes you see on the football field, sidelines, and in the stands. You'll be surprised at how many there are.

Cool! I watched the national finals a few weeks back on ESPN.

It was fun to watch (and thankfully the commentator knew most of the viewers didn't have a clue about gaming).

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post
    Cool! I watched the national finals a few weeks back on ESPN.

It was fun to watch (and thankfully the commentator knew most of the viewers didn't have a clue about gaming).
    Absolutely. I like playing video games but I will absolutely never be able to do what these people can do!

18. Default Re: WSC considering adding e-Sports

Absolutely. I like playing video games but I will absolutely never be able to do what these people can do!
    It takes a ton of discipline - IMO, far greater than any traditional sport at this point in time. It's so much easier to get distracted.

Not only do you have to have your mind in check, but you have to have your body in check as well. Some of these guys are heavy into fitness for that reason - so they do the work on the sticks, then they hit the gym.

It takes a ton of discipline - IMO, far greater than any traditional sport at this point in time. It's so much easier to get distracted.

Not only do you have to have your mind in check, but you have to have your body in check as well. Some of these guys are heavy into fitness for that reason - so they do the work on the sticks, then they hit the gym.
    No chance. You did state it was your opinion though, and I respect that part of it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    No chance. You did state it was your opinion though, and I respect that part of it :)
    Yeah, I get that we are all pretty friendly on this site, but I think the "esports as a real sport" thing is a little over the top. They are games, they do take skill and time to master but they are not true sports and do not take the same dedication, effort, etc. as real sports. I get that is a way to appeal to some students but I personally don't support school-backed esports. However, a lot of people (probably rightfully) state that universities throw way too much money at athletics already so this is really just another way to enhance the collegiate experience for some students.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast