Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Manny Machado freaks out

Default OT: Manny Machado freaks out

If you haven't seen this video check it out below. So, the Major League Baseball Players Association have delivered a 1 game suspension for this which Machado is challenging.

Oh, please. As a fan I do not want to see this nonsense. This fine example of a sportsman making over 30 million a year (hitting all of .268) and he thinks he runs the game.

Should be suspended for 30 games, IMO. And the Padres, if they had any integrity, would challenge the players association and do their own suspension (benching). I am glad the Phillies did not sign this guy.

Default Re: OT: Manny Machado freaks out

Looks like the Gannon football team on their last visit to IUP -- but they also started a brawl.

Ironically they had one player get one game, too.

#LIT-AF

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    If you haven't seen this video check it out below. So, the Major League Baseball Players Association have delivered a 1 game suspension for this which Machado is challenging.

Oh, please. As a fan I do not want to see this nonsense. This fine example of a sportsman making over 30 million a year (hitting all of .268) and he thinks he runs the game.

Should be suspended for 30 games, IMO. And the Padres, if they had any integrity, would challenge the players association and do their own suspension (benching). I am glad the Phillies did not sign this guy.

Here's my questions.

1. Is it a strike?
    2. Is Manny Machado worth a $300 million contract?
    3. Is the MLB players association too powerful?
    4. Is Manny Machado good for the game?

Here's my questions.

1. Is it a strike?
    1. Close but likely a blown call
    2. One is worth what somebody will pay
    3. Probably
    4. He freaked. Overall, he has a pretty clean record. He's a saint compared to many stars in the NFL and NBA.

Here's my questions.

1. Is it a strike?
    1) Yes it was a strike, all it has to do is nick the black of the plate.
    2) Absolutely not worth 300 million, no player is. It's a game!!!
    3) The players association is all sports allows these players to be jerks. 1 game suspension over 162 is a joke!
    4) Machado sucks, let's talk about the great players in the game. Guys like Mike Trout, Andrew McCutcheon, etc. Those guys are great and not douche bags!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    1. Close but likely a blown call
    2. One is worth what somebody will pay
    3. Probably
    4. He freaked. Overall, he has a pretty clean record. He's a saint compared to many stars in the NFL and NBA.
    1. It's not a blown call.
    2. Sure, it's whatever the market will bear but another way of looking at his worth is 1) on-field performance, and 2) increase in merchandise sales. I think the Padres might be experiencing some buyer's remorse.
    3. Looking for a yes or no here.
    4. A clean record? This is Manny Machado. Are we talking about the same person? Your comparison to NBA and NFL players is apples and orages. With Machado, these eruptions are in the game, on the field things. You are comparing to off the field issues, I think. Unless you are thinking of Jim Haslett stepping on Terry Bradshaw's head but that was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    1) Yes it was a strike, all it has to do is nick the black of the plate.
    2) Absolutely not worth 300 million, no player is. It's a game!!!
    3) The players association is all sports allows these players to be jerks. 1 game suspension over 162 is a joke!
    4) Machado sucks, let's talk about the great players in the game. Guys like Mike Trout, Andrew McCutcheon, etc. Those guys are great and not douche bags!
    The black is actually not a part of home plate.

I saw a stat that MLB umpires miss 14% of close ball/strike calls.

1. It's not a blown call.
    2. Sure, it's whatever the market will bear but another way of looking at his worth is 1) on-field performance, and 2) increase in merchandise sales. I think the Padres might be experiencing some buyer's remorse.
    3. Looking for a yes or no here.
    4. A clean record? This is Manny Machado. Are we talking about the same person? Your comparison to NBA and NFL players is apples and orages. With Machado, these eruptions are in the game, on the field things. You are comparing to off the field issues, I think. Unless you are thinking of Jim Haslett stepping on Terry Bradshaw's head but that was a long time ago.

He got fired up and had a tirade. It happens constantly in MLB. Players and managers get ejected constantly. How is it any different than a pitcher tossing a 95 mph fastball at somebody for breaking one of the 'old-timers' unwritten rules? Or, a mound charge ... or countless other examples.

Arguing about balls and strikes is as old as baseball. As long as a human is doing it ... it will never change.

As for the money ... Manny could care less what we think. He got paid. He had a slow start, sure, but he's coming on lately. And, his career to this point obviously made somebody feel he was worth it. If they have buyers' remorse that's their problem -- not his. You could easily say the same about Bryce Harper or countless others. There is no other way to look at it. He was a free agent. Highest bidder wins. Manny collects. Good for him. He's far from the worst mega contract ever given out in professional sports. If the Padres didn't pay him somebody else would have ... all about market value.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The black is actually not a part of home plate.

I saw a stat that MLB umpires miss 14% of close ball/strike calls.
    Are you sticking up for Machado or just commenting on umpiring accuracy?

Are you sticking up for Machado or just commenting on umpiring accuracy?
    Just commenting on umpiring. I have coached youth baseball since 1989 and believe I have a pretty good grasp of the rules.

Years ago I umped 10 year old baseball. I had a real hard time calling the low end of the strike zone because you just can't see it. By midseason I looked forward to the times when I'd have to ump the game on my own because I could call balls/strikes from behind the pitcher's mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Years ago I umped 10 year old baseball. I had a real hard time calling the low end of the strike zone because you just can't see it. By midseason I looked forward to the times when I'd have to ump the game on my own because I could call balls/strikes from behind the pitcher's mound.
    We played a double header at the Urban Youth Academy. The umpires were great, but both had been calling high school games. The guy behind the plate was at least 6'5" and our kids are 10 years old. The strike zone was mid-thigh to the shoulders.

It's easier to see high/low from the dugout that it is behind the plate. I never complain about in/out but I'll sometimes chirp about things up and down.

Sometimes we get caught up in the moment. Ump must have made a few calls that day, never know what's being said in the dugout.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony33 View Post
    Sometimes we get caught up in the moment. Ump must have made a few calls that day, never know what's being said in the dugout.
    No different than all the mound charges, fights, manager freak-outs, retaliations for breaking unwritten rules by 90-year-olds, purposely beaning a batter or throwing behind him, etc.

At least it didn't last as long as the normal baseball 'fight' in which all 50 or so guys run to home plate, jump up and down, don't touch anybody (maybe punch a water cooler) and then all go back to their pens and dugouts.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    No different than all the mound charges, fights, manager freak-outs, retaliations for breaking unwritten rules by 90-year-olds, purposely beaning a batter or throwing behind him, etc.

At least it didn't last as long as the normal baseball 'fight' in which all 50 or so guys run to home plate, jump up and down, don't touch anybody (maybe punch a water cooler) and then all go back to their pens and dugouts.
    I understand all the things you are saying but I do think it's different.

Machado is the highest paid player (on an annual basis).
    It wasn't a bad call.
    He winged his bat (violently) into the netting behind home plate where there are fans seated behind the netting. This is the second time he has done that.
    His profane tirade from the dugout is just over the top.
    But baseball is worried about Pete Rose

I understand all the things you are saying but I do think it's different.

Machado is the highest paid player (on an annual basis).
    It wasn't a bad call.
    He winged his bat (violently) into the netting behind home plate where there are fans seated behind the netting. This is the second time he has done that.
    His profane tirade from the dugout is just over the top.
    But baseball is worried about Pete Rose
    Stars get star treatment. Manny sells tickets.

Not saying I agree with that premise but it's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    You think Andrew McCutchen is better than Manny Machado? Maybe at his prime. Certainly not in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    You think Andrew McCutchen is better than Manny Machado? Maybe at his prime. Certainly not in 2019.
    One thing I can say about Andrew McCutchen is that the Phillies winning percentage was .550 before he got injured and it's .375 since then.

One thing I can say about Andrew McCutchen is that the Phillies winning percentage was .550 before he got injured and it's .375 since then.
    It sounds like the Phillies have a problem with their pitching staff, which is probably a more likely reason the Phillies are stumbling.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    I don't think he meant that comment from a talent perspective, but how they conduct themselves on and off the field, particularly Trout. You rarely ever see Trout pose at the plate or flip his bat after hitting a home run, for example.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast