Thread: What is the situation on the LSC/Heartland Merger updates?

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.
    Contribute to D2

Default What is the situation on the LSC/Heartland Merger updates?

I know that the LSC swallowing up the Heartland Conference is basically beginning now. What are the total ramifications of this move? Will it help football or damage it? Will any of the former Heartland teams (at least in Texas) add football? Has it completely reshaped scheduling for basketball and the Olympic Sports? Basically I'm just curious what you all think.
    Go Bronchos!

Default Re: What is the situation on the LSC/Heartland Merger updates?

Quote Originally Posted by UCObluejay View Post
    I know that the LSC swallowing up the Heartland Conference is basically beginning now. What are the total ramifications of this move? Will it help football or damage it? Will any of the former Heartland teams (at least in Texas) add football? Has it completely reshaped scheduling for basketball and the Olympic Sports? Basically I'm just curious what you all think.
    Not that I know anything for sure but here are some guesses.

1. Divisions in Basketball, going to be a rough conference to get out of. A few deserving schools will miss the tournament.

2. I have a strange feeling it'll hurt. Can't stop thinking about a reverse Big East situation

3. Doubt it. They'd be well behind in a rough conference.

4. See number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes88 View Post

1. Divisions in Basketball, going to be a rough conference to get out of. A few deserving schools will miss the tournament.

2. I have a strange feeling it'll hurt. Can't stop thinking about a reverse Big East situation

4. See number one.
    Pods - will only play someone outside your pod once a year. So Midwestern will only play West Texas A&M once during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes88 View Post

4. See number one.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 LSC BB teams and 2 RMAC teams make the playoffs. Same for SB. Maybe VB. RMAC does great in some track, cross country etc..

There was also this thread.

http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=94179

I have not heard official confirmation of who is in which POD. I know that Tarleton was not happy with the POD they ended up in.

North Division:
    Ark - FT Smith
    Ok Christian
    Cameron
    Midwestern St
    TX A&M Commerce
    Texas Woman's (Women)
    Dallas Baptist (Men)

South Division:
    TX A&M Kingsville
    TX A&M International
    St Mary's
    St Edwards
    UT Tyler
    Tarleton State

West Division:
    West Texas A&M
    Eastern NM
    Western NM
    UTPB
    Angelo State
    Lubbock Christian

I'm happy with annual games in Austin and San Antonio but not sold on our pod

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Tarleton State Texan
    Texas State Bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Observer View Post
    Pods - will only play someone outside your pod once a year. So Midwestern will only play West Texas A&M once during the regular season.
    Meant Conference Tourney. And thanks for reminding me it's possible.
    Last edited by Vulpes88; 06-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UCObluejay View Post
    Leaning damage to the LSC brand of football with so many non football members. You might as well add UT Dallas because they are talking up the move so you will soon have another non football playing school in the conference. Add to that if the SLC decides to invite Tarleton you lose a football member with no replacement.

Only school even talking about adding football is UT Tyler and they weren’t a Heartland school. But, you are talking 5+ years down the road if then.

Heck, I heard St Mary’s tennis teams use the public tennis courts in San Antonio because their courts are in such bad shape and they can’t afford to get them resurfaced. So, no way in h3ll can they afford football if they can’t afford repairs of tennis courts.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    Leaning damage to the LSC brand of football with so many non football members. You might as well add UT Dallas because they are talking up the move so you will soon have another non football playing school in the conference. Add to that if the SLC decides to invite Tarleton you lose a football member with no replacement.

Only school even talking about adding football is UT Tyler and they weren’t a Heartland school. But, you are talking 5+ years down the road if then.

Heck, I heard St Mary’s tennis teams use the public tennis courts in San Antonio because their courts are in such bad shape and they can’t afford to get them resurfaced. So, no way in h3ll can they afford football if they can’t afford repairs of tennis courts.
    How long can a 19 team conference stay together? I doubt even five years.

I think this format could work. Play the first 2 games at the home team school. This is for the Women's Side. I just assumed the Higher Seeds won.

I'm not sure there is enough time to play five games in the conference post-season. Looks to me that the better plan would be to take the top 2 out of each pod and then add the 2 with the best conference records from the remaining teams. That would give you 8 teams to go to Frisco.

The last format for BB that I heard being discussed was 12 teams with top 4 getting a bye. 5-12 play at the home Monday/Tuesday of higher seed with winners joining the top 4 for the regular tourney schedule. Think it might be Monday if tourney starts on Wednesday as usual. Don't know what has been discussed for VB.

Leaning damage to the LSC brand of football with so many non football members.
    I don't think so at all. When people think about LSC Football, they don't think about Cameron or Texas Women's College. They think of Kingsville and WT and Commerce, etc. The non-football playing schools might as well not exist to football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I don't think so at all. When people think about LSC Football, they don't think about Cameron or Texas Women's College. They think of Kingsville and WT and Commerce, etc. The non-football playing schools might as well not exist to football fans.
    You have a valid point about that. My real concern is if non football schools have an equal vote and become a stumbling block for the conference as far as football goes.

You have a valid point about that. My real concern is if non football schools have an equal vote and become a stumbling block for the conference as far as football goes.
    That is THE problem that can arise. It should be simple: If you sponsor football, you can vote on football issues.

The ENTIRE NCAA membership used to vote on issues affecting other divisions. They changed the rules so that schools only vote in decisions that affect their division.

When the PSAC and RMAC attempted to reduce scholarships in 2004, only schools that sponsored football (along with a single vote from every conference that sponsored football) were allowed to vote on the issue.

Same here. If they do, I see them voting together for their best interests.

I would hope that the presidents of the football playing schools took care of any problems like this prior to the announcement of the merger. If they didn't, then we all need new presidents. I can't imagine that they would take a chance of letting the new members control anything about football.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    I would hope that the presidents of the football playing schools took care of any problems like this prior to the announcement of the merger. If they didn't, then we all need new presidents. I can't imagine that they would take a chance of letting the new members control anything about football.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    I would hope, but unlike the ncaa where as a whole there are more FB schools than not, the lsc is now a conference of 10 non football schools and 9 football schools. 9 football schools with almost no other options for football as far as conference membership goes.

The LSC really messed up when we didnt fight to keep the old north schools when they bolted for the GAC.