Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

  1. #1

    Default CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...099f95220.html

    The Tacoma Dome will no longer host high school playoff games, due to the 100% fact that the Tacoma Dome, well, sucks. The WIAA is looking for 3 or so different locations to host the state championships. With a newly remodeled turf stadium with lights, CWU has reached out to the WIAA to ask that they consider CWU to host games. Ellensburg is an ideal central location in the middle of the state with plenty of hotels and restaurants, and although fall in the Burg can get chilly, it is considerably less wet than the rainy fall on the Westside. Hopefully the WIAA strongly considers Tomlinson to host some games going forward.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,573
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...099f95220.html

    The Tacoma Dome will no longer host high school playoff games, due to the 100% fact that the Tacoma Dome, well, sucks. The WIAA is looking for 3 or so different locations to host the state championships. With a newly remodeled turf stadium with lights, CWU has reached out to the WIAA to ask that they consider CWU to host games. Ellensburg is an ideal central location in the middle of the state with plenty of hotels and restaurants, and although fall in the Burg can get chilly, it is considerably less wet than the rainy fall on the Westside. Hopefully the WIAA strongly considers Tomlinson to host some games going forward.
    It would help that one Oregon team too if they make it, who just missed the playoffs last year and won the 5A Oregon title the year before. I'd like to see the other choices before offering a final voice though. I'd expect it to be more the 2A and lower and not the 3A for Hermiston if CWU hosted 2 divisions.

    I also know a few years ago Tri-Cities hosted the baseball tournament for 3A-4A, so I guess that could be possible in theory to not have it on the West side of the state.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Grandview, WA
    Posts
    24,839
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/spor...099f95220.html

    The Tacoma Dome will no longer host high school playoff games, due to the 100% fact that the Tacoma Dome, well, sucks. The WIAA is looking for 3 or so different locations to host the state championships. With a newly remodeled turf stadium with lights, CWU has reached out to the WIAA to ask that they consider CWU to host games. Ellensburg is an ideal central location in the middle of the state with plenty of hotels and restaurants, and although fall in the Burg can get chilly, it is considerably less wet than the rainy fall on the Westside. Hopefully the WIAA strongly considers Tomlinson to host some games going forward.
    "can get chilly" might be understating it.

  4. Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Khan View Post
    It would help that one Oregon team too if they make it, who just missed the playoffs last year and won the 5A Oregon title the year before. I'd like to see the other choices before offering a final voice though. I'd expect it to be more the 2A and lower and not the 3A for Hermiston if CWU hosted 2 divisions.
    Oregon teams don't play in our playoffs. Oregon and Washington teams don't play each other except for some early season non-conference games.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14,949
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Oregon teams don't play in our playoffs. Oregon and Washington teams don't play each other except for some early season non-conference games.
    Hermiston HS is a member of the WIAA.

  6. Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Hermiston HS is a member of the WIAA.
    Oh wow I stand corrected. I just Googled it. Wow weird. But yeah having playoff games somewhere in Central WA would be nice for teams out here.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Grandview, WA
    Posts
    24,839
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Oh wow I stand corrected. I just Googled it. Wow weird. But yeah having playoff games somewhere in Central WA would be nice for teams out here.
    I went to a game at Ellensburg HS once late in the season and remember sitting in the snow, wishing I had the propane heaters they had on the sideline.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    90 miles outside Wildcat Country
    Posts
    19,573
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: CWU Making Push to Host High School Playoff Games

    Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Oh wow I stand corrected. I just Googled it. Wow weird. But yeah having playoff games somewhere in Central WA would be nice for teams out here.
    It was a very, very extreme case. Hermiston High is 1600 students, so would be 6A in Oregon and closest schools in that division would be either Portland league or Bend/Salem league. With that distance, the Portland league told them they would have to play all league games in Portland on top of the distance of 180ish miles each way in all sports. In Washington, there were already 8 schools within 40 miles that were similar size willing to travel to Hermiston (and already having non-league games with them) so they reached out for a waiver to play in Washington. One of their wrestlers got 3rd in the state this year.

    It actually made another change for the state, as Spokane and Tri-Cities moved into the same district instead of Spokane and Vancouver to help both the Spokane and Vancouver schools.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •