Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PSU vs NWMSU 10/12/19 @ Arrowhead?

Default Re: PSU vs NWMSU 10/12/19 @ Arrowhead?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    After the way Sporting Park backed out of their commitment to hosting the D2 national championship game, I'd be very leery if I'm an MIAA AD or football coach in wanting to schedule a neutral site game at Sporting Park.
    Not sure it would do anything for recruiting the way Arrowhead supposedly does, but Sporting Park would obviously be a better setting for the NW games in KC, be they against Pitt State, Central or anyone else. However, I'm obviously in agreement with all of the other posters on here that no MIAA AD or football coach would want to work with the Sporting KC people on something like that.

The 2016 NW-UCM game at Arrowhead had an attendance of 15,349. If you weren't at the Pitt State-NW games in 2002 or 2004, you would probably think the games with 15-18k were special, but to see it pretty consistently dwindle over time was a little sad. I hope the absence of the game from Arrowhead for a few years helps this year bounce back. If both teams are 5-0, I think it will be well attended, but I think Pitt State's attendance will plummet, both at home and at Arrowhead, if a loss comes prior to October 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Right View Post
    Well the MIAA certainly has it' fair share of bling. Was impressed the Bearcats go back to back for football (and a few more)
    ++ Mens basketball team wins back to back. Pretty impressive. But that's just one school holding it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    That comment was made by the CentralMO coach after his team became the 3rd different MIAA women's team to win a national championship in the last 15 years. Washburn won in 2005 and Emporia in 2010. The GLIAC and the Northeast 10 have had 2 different national champions in that time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    I don't track other sports at all. Even Basketball. That said, I'm pretty sure Pitt won a natty in track last year or the year before. Maybe one for the men and one for the women, but not sure?
    Part of me thinks Slifer was getting on Lindenwood leaving the league after just five years when all the talk when they entered the league was that it was just going to be a stepping stone to DI.

If we go back 15 years the MIAA has had two different schools win football championships (NWMSU & PSU), two win men's basketball championships (NWMSU & UCM), three win women's basketball championships (ESU, UCM & WU), three win women's outdoor track & field (LU, UCM & PSU), two win women's indoor track & field (UCM & LU), two win wrestling (UNK & UNO), one win women's soccer (UCM), one win softball (UCO), one win men's indoor track & field (PSU).
    Not to mention runners-up in women's soccer (TSU), softball (ESU), men's outdoor track & field (LU), baseball (ESU), and men's golf (UCM).
    That's nine different schools (UCM, UCO, ESU, LU, UNK, UNO, NWMSU, PSU, WU) since 2005 with at least one national championship in a sport with multiple schools winning titles in six different sports. If you add the runner-up finishes that's eight sports where ten (out of a total of 16) different schools finished the season as one of the top teams in the nation.
    If you just take the last ten years the MIAA has won a third of the possible national championships in football, men's and women's basketball. With four different schools winning them.

I don't have time right now to do the full research but it would be interesting to see how many other conferences have that kind of depth across the board in all of their sports including the "revenue" sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Part of me thinks Slifer was getting on Lindenwood leaving the league after just five years when all the talk when they entered the league was that it was just going to be a stepping stone to DI.

If we go back 15 years the MIAA has had two different schools win football championships (NWMSU & PSU), two win men's basketball championships (NWMSU & UCM), three win women's basketball championships (ESU, UCM & WU), three win women's outdoor track & field (LU, UCM & PSU), two win women's indoor track & field (UCM & LU), two win wrestling (UNK & UNO), one win women's soccer (UCM), one win softball (UCO), one win men's indoor track & field (PSU).
    Not to mention runners-up in women's soccer (TSU), softball (ESU), men's outdoor track & field (LU), baseball (ESU), and men's golf (UCM).
    That's nine different schools (UCM, UCO, ESU, LU, UNK, UNO, NWMSU, PSU, WU) since 2005 with at least one national championship in a sport with multiple schools winning titles in six different sports. If you add the runner-up finishes that's eight sports where ten (out of a total of 16) different schools finished the season as one of the top teams in the nation.
    If you just take the last ten years the MIAA has won a third of the possible national championships in football, men's and women's basketball. With four different schools winning them.

I don't have time right now to do the full research but it would be interesting to see how many other conferences have that kind of depth across the board in all of their sports including the "revenue" sports?
    Thanks for putting all that together. Pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Honestly, I think the GSC and MIAA are pretty equal, as far as all sports go. VSU women's softball has one championship and 2 runner ups. Football 4 championship and a loss to G.V.
    Like Hornetfan says, there are a lot of 2nd places which speaks well for its school. I think the GLIAC is pretty competitive as well ...

Here is link for GSC Championship history.
    https://gscsports.org/documents/2010...ip_History.pdf
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat_420 View Post
    Sporting Park can burn to the ground and I'll cheer. I hope Sporting KC loses all its games, all its fan support, and the franchise has to fold at a large financial loss to the owners.
    Couldn't agree more!!! F-SPKC!!!

6. Default Re: PSU vs NWMSU 10/12/19 @ Arrowhead?

Well I see the problem there, CMSU let us down attendance wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Bearcat Fan View Post
    Well I see the problem there, CMSU let us down attendance wise.
    It's been UCM (not cmsu) since 2006. Take your medicine (you old fart) and go back to bed....lol. Had the game been played at Walton Stadium in Warrensburg (instead of Arrowhead) I think Mules and Bearcat fans would have put 15,000 in the stadium. A few years back UCM and NW drew 14,000 to a game at Walton Stadium and that was before the stadium remodel and expansion. Campus games just seem to have the right feel and atmosphere. Arrowhead is great for a big D1 match-up, but it just seems like overkill for D2. Having said that, Arrowhead is still a good experience for the players and if it makes financial sense for the universities then let it continue.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 06-14-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaBred View Post
    If both teams are 5-0, I think it will be well attended, but I think Pitt State's attendance will plummet, both at home and at Arrowhead, if a loss comes prior to October 12.
    I think Pitt fans will need to be ready to see an opening day loss and then maybe an opening day home loss.

I think we go into Arrowhead with at least 1 loss possible 2

Quote Originally Posted by PSR View Post
    I think Pitt fans will need to be ready to see an opening day loss and then maybe an opening day home loss.

I could see a UCO loss, but Emporia?

In other news....running back Josh Caldwell (MoWest & Northwest) was a tryout player at the Chiefs mandatory minicamp this week. After the camp was over Josh signed a contract with the Chiefs. Way to go, Josh.

Congrats and good luck to Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Mule View Post
    In other news....running back Josh Caldwell (MoWest & Northwest) was a tryout player at the Chiefs mandatory minicamp this week. After the camp was over Josh signed a contract with the Chiefs. Way to go, Josh.
    Surprising...Josh Caldwell is nowhere near the RB XO was or for that matter Germaine Race. Good luck to him though.
    Sent from my GorillaPad

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
    It's been UCM (not cmsu) since 2006. Take your medicine (you old fart) and go back to bed....lol. Had the game been played at Walton Stadium in Warrensburg (instead of Arrowhead) I think Mules and Bearcat fans would have put 15,000 in the stadium. A few years back UCM and NW drew 14,000 to a game at Walton Stadium and that was before the stadium remodel and expansion. Campus games just seem to have the right feel and atmosphere. Arrowhead is great for a big D1 match-up, but it just seems like overkill for D2. Having said that, Arrowhead is still a good experience for the players and if it makes financial sense for the universities then let it continue.
    To this day I still consider it CMSU, at least that is what my baseball jacket says..ahahahah... UCM Baseball has been dominant a better part of 20 years with Emporia State sprinkled in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
    To this day I still consider it CMSU, at least that is what my baseball jacket says..ahahahah... UCM Baseball has been dominant a better part of 20 years with Emporia State sprinkled in there as well.
    You better check that jacket again.....at your advanced age it probably says Normal School No. 2....ahahahah.

You better check that jacket again.....at your advanced age it probably says Normal School No. 2....ahahahah.
    While there may be some truth to that, it still says CMSU Baseball, and as far as I am concerned UCM is still CMSU...

Quote Originally Posted by PSR View Post

I would pick a loss at UNK over a home loss to ESU at this point.

I understand the lack of CMSU attendance at Arrowhead. It's probably fairly difficult to leave the county without all those ankle bracelets going off.

Not really liking our QB situation right now. Plus ESU hits some big pass plays and it could get scary. Last year that RB had 100 yards almost in the 1st quarter. Coach Higgins seems to have developed talent better right now than Beck has.

Not saying we lose, but it's not out of question. We will come into this year unprepared at the QB spot, which just makes me wonder what this staff is doing. Plus, QBs seem fragile at that, as at one time we had all 3 hurt last year. Not all 3 out but hurt. So now we are going to run them more?

Makes me think that the Gym where the Coaches offices are is called the Weede for another reason????

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
    I would pick a loss at UNK over a home loss to ESU at this point.
    People have been expecting too much out of UNK since they have become a member. They have been right where I figured them to be and I don't expect too much different out of them this year. Wasn't impressed with them in the least last year. Looked pretty bad when I saw them.

I'm surprised they are allowing NW back. I've been to the last two Arrowhead games and the parking lot was trashed, mainly by drunk students, and we noticed bottles shoved under tires of several vehicles including ours when we returned after the game.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast