Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrades.

Contribute to D2

Default A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrades.

Per the AD's office, the turf will be reinstalled this year and the massive Lion Logo will be replaced by regular turf. There will be a Logo at the 50 Yard line, but a much smaller one.

Also, construction has started on a 7,800 square foot addition to the current locker rooms in the North End Zone to complete the Football facility. (Side Facing the Highway. This should cover most of the highway and probably will add a visitor dressing room.

Excited, first home game is not until late September, and the building should be completed by Senior Day.

Default Re: A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrad

Quote Originally Posted by TheLionWire View Post
    Per the AD's office, the turf will be reinstalled this year and the massive Lion Logo will be replaced by regular turf. There will be a Logo at the 50 Yard line, but a much smaller one.

Also, construction has started on a 7,800 square foot addition to the current locker rooms in the North End Zone to complete the Football facility. (Side Facing the Highway. This should cover most of the highway and probably will add a visitor dressing room.

Excited, first home game is not until late September, and the building should be completed by Senior Day.
    Hope so. The current V DR is the worst!!

Default Re: A&M-Commerce's Hawkins Field @ Memorial Stadium getting some big upgrad

Woohoo, glad they are getting rid of the giant lion head. Made watching games difficult!

I liked the lion head, but man it made it impossible to find flags when they were thrown

Another coat of lipstick instead or what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    Another coat of lipstick instead or what we need.
    https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/...v1Sxwsy-Q.jpeg

Like What? I really am curious, because I do agree that we need a new press box on the west side and do something about the bathrooms on that side of the stadium as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    I liked the lion head, but man it made it impossible to find flags when they were thrown
    What flags??

Like What? I really am curious, because I do agree that we need a new press box on the west side and do something about the bathrooms on that side of the stadium as well.
    At some point it needs to dawn on the big shots around here that continuing to throw money at that stadium by slapping on new additions every year or 2 is a losing proposition. It's a 70 yr old facility with terrible stands, rest rooms, and very poor handicap access. If they do anything at all to it, it should be with an eye toward making it a top notch track and field facility and they should be tucking this money away for construction of a football only venue. Enough is enough with this stadium. If Bailiff manages to not screw up what Colby left him here, we should continue to be a premier d2 program. They need to start thinking like that will be the case for the foreseeable future and invest in excellence instead of propping up an outdated, inferior facility with quick fixes.

That's reserved for whatever has been done in past few years and what will probably be done with Javelina Stadium in light of the recent storm damage.
    Last edited by LSC Fan; 06-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeTAMUC View Post
    At some point it needs to dawn on the big shots around here that continuing to throw money at that stadium by slapping on new additions every year or 2 is a losing proposition. It's a 70 yr old facility with terrible stands, rest rooms, and very poor handicap access. If they do anything at all to it, it should be with an eye toward making it a top notch track and field facility and they should be tucking this money away for construction of a football only venue. Enough is enough with this stadium. If Bailiff manages to not screw up what Colby left him here, we should continue to be a premier d2 program. They need to start thinking like that will be the case for the foreseeable future and invest in excellence instead of propping up an outdated, inferior facility with quick fixes.
    I 'd really like to know from the WTAM and Tarleton folks on here if they care to chime in is how they got the ball rolling on their new facilities? Did they have to raise student fees and pay for it all on a local level? Or did the BOR allow each school to use some of the creative funding things like some schools have used to circumvent the ban on state funding being used to get some of the facility work done like calling their basketball facility/arena a health center and use it for classrooms and student activities when not used by the athletic department. I think some of the football field houses have been granted the same status if they have classroom and administrative space in them? Or has it been a combo of both student fees and BOR allocated funds with some private fundraising mixed in?

TAMUK is the exact same boat and if the BOR is funding some of this stuff straight from A&M system money, we need to find a way to force ourselves to the front of the line. That pic I posted with the storm damage is the same stand where during a high school football playoff game a few years back, a fan fell through bleachers a few rows up. I was there sitting on the other side that evening and it was quite a scene. Luckily the fan only had minor injuries, but he and others were lucky they were not sitting higher.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    I 'd really like to know from the WTAM and Tarleton folks on here if they care to chime in is how they got the ball rolling on their new facilities? Did they have to raise student fees and pay for it all on a local level? Or did the BOR allow each school to use some of the creative funding things like some schools have used to circumvent the ban on state funding being used to get some of the facility work done like calling their basketball facility/arena a health center and use it for classrooms and student activities when not used by the athletic department. I think some of the football field houses have been granted the same status if they have classroom and administrative space in them? Or has it been a combo of both student fees and BOR allocated funds with some private fundraising mixed in?

TAMUK is the exact same boat and if the BOR is funding some of this stuff straight from A&M system money, we need to find a way to force ourselves to the front of the line. That pic I posted with the storm damage is the same stand where during a high school football playoff game a few years back, a fan fell through bleachers a few rows up. I was there sitting on the other side that evening and it was quite a scene. Luckily the fan only had minor injuries, but he and others were lucky they were not sitting higher.
    The majority of funding at WT came from a fee increase that the students voted on and approved a few years back. I dont know what Tarleton did for the funding.

I think SISD kicked in some and Tarleton used some state bond money that has to be repaid from athletics funds.
    Last edited by AngeloFan; 06-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.

If I remember correctly, about $30M at WT came from students voting for a fee increase to pay for a bond issue. About another $10M will be paid for by revenue mostly from the sale of stadium based/athletic department advertising, luxury boxes, ticket revenue, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    If I remember correctly, about $30M at WT came from students voting for a fee increase to pay for a bond issue. About another $10M will be paid for by revenue mostly from the sale of stadium based/athletic department advertising, luxury boxes, ticket revenue, etc.
    Stadium Cost: $38,800,000
    Student Athletic Fee Increase: -$32,500,000
    Revenue Financing System Debt Proceeds and Interest Income: -$6,300,000

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    How large was the fee increase? And I would guess the bond would be one of those very long term types that will be paid off when today's current student great grandchildren are attending?

TAMUK increased their student athletic fees to pay for the tennis, beach volleyball and intramural complex on campus which was opened up a couple years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure this was the best way utilize that method as it should have been a card to do the much need renovations to Javelina Stadium and some of the other facilities that need some minor updating like baseball and softball fields. But then again the guy who was AD at the time decide to lower football's profile and we are paying the price for it.

I don't think we need a complete stadium rebuild as we can still use the bones of the concrete side of the stadium. But what we do need as witnessed by the pic I posted on the storm damage thread is total rebuild of the west side in the form of a concrete structure and with that a relocation of the main press box to that side of the stadium with the addition of suites and other amenities. And a new locker room/ training complex located either on the south of north end zone. This will get us on the right track for sure.

How large was the fee increase? And I would guess the bond would be one of those very long term types that will be paid off when today's current student great grandchildren are attending?

TAMUK increased their student athletic fees to pay for the tennis, beach volleyball and intramural complex on campus which was opened up a couple years ago. At the time, I wasn't sure this was the best way utilize that method as it should have been a card to do the much need renovations to Javelina Stadium and some of the other facilities that need some minor updating like baseball and softball fields. But then again the guy who was AD at the time decide to lower football's profile and we are paying the price for it.

I don't think we need a complete stadium rebuild as we can still use the bones of the concrete side of the stadium. But what we do need as witnessed by the pic I posted on the storm damage thread is total rebuild of the west side in the form of a concrete structure and with that a relocation of the main press box to that side of the stadium with the addition of suites and other amenities. And a new locker room/ training complex located either on the south of north end zone. This will get us on the right track for sure.
    $12.00 per semester hour.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloFan View Post
    I think SISD kicked in some and Tarleton used some state bond money that has to be repaid from athletics funds.
    I also think some of the stadium money was from the state legislature. Also received some money from Stephenville ISD for locker rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    $12.00 per semester hour.
    $180 more a semester @ 5 classes....or $1,440 per student who graduates with a Bachelors. And since most kids take student loans, and interest runs between 3.4%-8%.....tag on another 5% interest.

That's a HEFTY price to pay for a handful of games a year that the majority of kids couldn't give a rats azz about. YIKES!

That will only take about 26K+ graduating students to pay. DOUBLE YIKES!!

A lot of alums and fans are upset with the Lion head going away, but I don't have a problem with it. It will save us 65k a year in maintaining the field and that can go to a new or revamped press box or the numerous issues with the West Side of the stadium, like new bathrooms, wheelchair access, and other things. Still, that stadium has come a country mile from where it was when I first set foot on campus.

Plus, I would be more excited for a 7800 square feet addition to the Locker Rooms for an actual football facility than a huge logo on the field.

Either way, McMurray is a smart AD and I trust him. Sometimes being a leader means doing the unpopular thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast