Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Poll- Your Opinion

Contribute to D2

Default Preseason Poll- Your Opinion

Does anyone have any early season opinions on any teams? Do you have any kind of Preseason Poll that you personally made? I can't seem to make too many assumptions with not being able to find too much info on teams. I know the Muleriders could struggle this year with a new QB. I could possibly see some low scoring games with a solid D returning, just don't know if the offense will be able to get going. Running game will be very important this year.

Default Re: Preseason Poll- Your Opinion

There was so much parity after the top 2-3 teams last season that it's difficult to have any real guess as to a 1 thru 12 rankings of the league.

Here are some things I expect to see:

- OBU will be the preseason favorite and should be. Have a good chance to win a third straight title if things continue to break right.
    - I expect Harding to be a solid #2 in preseason polls. They return a lot and should have a chip on their shoulder after losing two games by a combined 9 points last year.
    - I think HSU and Tech will both be improved. HSU returns basically the entire offense, 90% of whom were first-year starters in 2018, so you should see the Reddies rebound from a down year. I anticipate Tech will do the same under a new regime. No reason ATU can't win 6 or 7 and be a tough out in year one under a new staff.
    - On the flip side, I expect SAU to take a small step back in the post-Renner/Higgins/Lison era. Still probably a Top 4-5 squad, but its tough to lose that many difference-makers and improve.
    - Southeastern Oklahoma should be the best Oklahoma school once again, but don't overlook Oklahoma Baptist, who went 5-6 last year and all five wins were against fellow Oklahoma schools.
    - UAM is a wild card team for me. They had a nice year last season, but lost their OC. I just don't trust them and they're going to have to force me to before I project them as a real contender.

Going into the season knowing what we do:

The Favorites: Ouachita Baptist, Harding
    The Contenders: Southern Arkansas, Henderson State, Arkansas Tech, Southeastern Oklahoma
    Middle Tier: UAM, NWOSU, Oklahoma Baptist
    Likely Bottom Tier: SWOSU, East Central, Southern Nazarene

Quote Originally Posted by ReddieMade View Post
    There was so much parity after the top 2-3 teams last season that it's difficult to have any real guess as to a 1 thru 12 rankings of the league.

Here are some things I expect to see:

- OBU will be the preseason favorite and should be. Have a good chance to win a third straight title if things continue to break right.
    - I expect Harding to be a solid #2 in preseason polls. They return a lot and should have a chip on their shoulder after losing two games by a combined 9 points last year.
    - I think HSU and Tech will both be improved. HSU returns basically the entire offense, 90% of whom were first-year starters in 2018, so you should see the Reddies rebound from a down year. I anticipate Tech will do the same under a new regime. No reason ATU can't win 6 or 7 and be a tough out in year one under a new staff.
    - On the flip side, I expect SAU to take a small step back in the post-Renner/Higgins/Lison era. Still probably a Top 4-5 squad, but its tough to lose that many difference-makers and improve.
    - Southeastern Oklahoma should be the best Oklahoma school once again, but don't overlook Oklahoma Baptist, who went 5-6 last year and all five wins were against fellow Oklahoma schools.
    - UAM is a wild card team for me. They had a nice year last season, but lost their OC. I just don't trust them and they're going to have to force me to before I project them as a real contender.

Going into the season knowing what we do:

The Favorites: Ouachita Baptist, Harding
    The Contenders: Southern Arkansas, Henderson State, Arkansas Tech, Southeastern Oklahoma
    Middle Tier: UAM, NWOSU, Oklahoma Baptist
    Likely Bottom Tier: SWOSU, East Central, Southern Nazarene
    Wow, what a great analysis. I would have thought that you were a professional sports writer.

Feel pretty confident saying the league is decided on Thursday night of week 1. OBU brings a lot back. HU brings a lot back. Both teams prepping for each other for months in advance. Don’t think it’ll be 7-3, but it’s going to be low scoring affair again.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    Feel pretty confident saying the league is decided on Thursday night of week 1. OBU brings a lot back. HU brings a lot back. Both teams prepping for each other for months in advance. Don’t think it’ll be 7-3, but it’s going to be low scoring affair again.
    I remember a couple years ago when HSU beat Harding in week one and everyone thought that game might decide it early. Then HSU ended up 6-5, Harding started 0-3 and ended up winning like 12 straight games and getting to the national semifinals, but still didn't win the league.

All of that to say this: no game in week one is going to decide the GAC, doesn't matter how big it is. There's been too much weird stuff happen in the past, particularly for you guys, for you to truly believe that. 10 weeks of games for one or both of those two teams to trip somewhere.

I remember a couple years ago when HSU beat Harding in week one and everyone thought that game might decide it early. Then HSU ended up 6-5, Harding started 0-3 and ended up winning like 12 straight games and getting to the national semifinals, but still didn't win the league.

All of that to say this: no game in week one is going to decide the GAC, doesn't matter how big it is. There's been too much weird stuff happen in the past, particularly for you guys, for you to truly believe that. 10 weeks of games for one or both of those two teams to trip somewhere.
    I mean I’m aware we have to play 10 more times. I think the winner of that game wins the GAC. It’s a fairly simple take. Your prediction was OBU and HU were the favorites. One would think the team who wins that game likely wins GAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Divisiontwo View Post
    I mean I’m aware we have to play 10 more times. I think the winner of that game wins the GAC. It’s a fairly simple take. Your prediction was OBU and HU were the favorites. One would think the team who wins that game likely wins GAC.
    I still see SAU being in the middle tier, with Arkansas Tech being improved, but not great.

Who were the bowl teams last year? We climb from the depths and are finally moving up. Give the Delta a break......all we need is the Interstate to be finished.....

#EatEmUp

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
    Who were the bowl teams last year? We climb from the depths and are finally moving up. Give the Delta a break......all we need is the Interstate to be finished.....

#EatEmUp
    And maybe for your business school to become accredited. Weevil Watcher it's tough. UAM really could be good, but who do you see taking a dip? I don't see how UAM is going to beat HSU, HU, and OBU.

B School accreditation is in process, retirements in process. It’s the absolute tallest uphill climb for any GAC school but it’s happening.

I think there is opportunity to beat HSU and OBU this year. Need a few years to catch up with the Buffalo.

B School accreditation is in process, retirements in process. It’s the absolute tallest uphill climb for any GAC school but it’s happening.

I think there is opportunity to beat HSU and OBU this year. Need a few years to catch up with the Buffalo.
    What in the heck are you smoking??? Or do you mean Oklahoma Baptist???

I don’t know what you call it, I got it from some guy in Arkadelphia. He said it was TigerTales, which I immediately called BS because I knew you had a corner on that.

Let’s get this party started!!! ^^^^

I don’t know what you call it, I got it from some guy in Arkadelphia. He said it was TigerTales, which I immediately called BS because I knew you had a corner on that.
    Let's be real. You guys will get a few wins but the majority will be against the Oklahoma stepchildren. Almost every Arkansas game could easily be an L for you guys this year.

The Hootens book just came out! I got my copy yesterday! I will post their preseason poll when I get down to my car at lunch.

I believe it is somewhat of what last years standings were at the end of the season, as usual. HSU 7th. OBU 1, HU 2 etc....

I think HSU will do much better this year.
    Last edited by Redready; 06-27-2019 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redready View Post
    I believe it is somewhat what last year standings were at the end of the season, as usual. HSU 7th. OBU 1, HU 2 etc....

I think HSU will do much better this year.
    HSU seventh really, really low if you're doing your homework. Shoot, they finished sixth last year going 5-6 and the 2019 team should be a good bit better than the last two squads.

1. OBU
    2. Harding

After that it is wide open. SAU loses much more than HSU, Southeastern lost their coach, UAM lost their OC, ATU has a whole new staff and won just 3 games last year...

You could make a pretty rational argument for HSU third. Reddies should be no worse than 5th IMO. I would split the difference and put them 4th.

HSU seventh really, really low if you're doing your homework. Shoot, they finished sixth last year going 5-6 and the 2019 team should be a good bit better than the last two squads.

1. OBU
    2. Harding

After that it is wide open. SAU loses much more than HSU, Southeastern lost their coach, UAM lost their OC, ATU has a whole new staff and won just 3 games last year...

You could make a pretty rational argument for HSU third. Reddies should be no worse than 5th IMO. I would split the difference and put them 4th.
    Yep. SAU was listed 3rd. No surprise to me. Again, it is typically the final standings of the previous year. Since the Reddies were 3rd in 2014, they were picked 3rd in the Hootens picks for 2015. HSU won GAC in 2015.

By the way Weevil, UAM is picked 8th, just behind HSU.

Armo's predictions usually had rationale. Hooten should use the resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Redready View Post
    Yep. SAU was listed 3rd. No surprise to me. Again, it is typically the final standings of the previous year. Since the Reddies were 3rd in 2014, they were picked 3rd in the Hootens picks for 2015. HSU won GAC in 2015.

By the way Weevil, UAM is picked 8th, just behind HSU.

Armo's predictions usually had rationale. Hooten should use the resource.
    Armo is the professional armchair QB.

Off-Season is hard

Let's get to week one already!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast