Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preseason rankings

Default Preseason rankings

Slippery Rock checks in at No. 7 in both Street and Smith and Lindy's preseason rankings.

West Chester is 15 in Lindy's and IUP is 23 in Street and Smith.

I don't put much stock in these rankings. I'd rather go the entire season unranked and end up in the regional final like last year, but it's fun to look at in May.

Default Re: Preseason rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Slippery Rock checks in at No. 7 in both Street and Smith and Lindy's preseason rankings.

West Chester is 15 in Lindy's and IUP is 23 in Street and Smith.

I don't put much stock in these rankings. I'd rather go the entire season unranked and end up in the regional final like last year, but it's fun to look at in May.
    I actually feel better about this upcoming IUP team than I did at this time a year ago (when they got way too much summer hype).

But, the reality is Week 1 is the only game of importance as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I actually feel better about this upcoming IUP team than I did at this time a year ago (when they got way too much summer hype).

That's what concerns me this year. But all Lutz has to do to quell any overconfidence is remind them of a) how close we were to losing to Kentucky State and b) the fact that we **did** lose to Shippensburg. If not for that comeback in Week 1, our season would have been over Sept. 8.

Wayne State isn't on the level of Ferris or Grand Valley, but it's still a GLIAC team and probably won't be a pushover.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Are you telling us that they only play one game at a time, or that the opponent puts on his pants one leg at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Are you telling us that they only play one game at a time, or that the opponent puts on his pants one leg at a time?
    Jonathan Moxon's only one man.

No. 7 is way too high.

Yes, they only lose one starter on Defense; and there are high expectations for the stud DL from West Virginia (Jevon Lang) but he still will be a true freshmen.

On offense, they lose their single season rushing record holder (Hills); they lost their best two OL (Gaviglia/Raabe); their top two TE (Alexander/Cirillo) both of who were excellent blockers. Also, lost Merhaut their possession receiver and maybe more importantly Chapla's holder. Plus their best kick returner (Carter) was not on the Spring roster. Plus add in a new Offensive Coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by SRU 88 View Post
    No. 7 is way too high.

Yes, they only lose one starter on Defense; and there are high expectations for the stud DL from West Virginia (Jevon Lang) but he still will be a true freshmen.

On offense, they lose their single season rushing record holder (Hills); they lost their best two OL (Gaviglia/Raabe); their top two TE (Alexander/Cirillo) both of who were excellent blockers. Also, lost Merhaut their possession receiver and maybe more importantly Chapla's holder. Plus their best kick returner (Carter) was not on the Spring roster. Plus add in a new Offensive Coordinator.
    It's early. The 'game changer' recruiting season just started now that D1 grades are out.

No. 7 is way too high.

Quite a few transfers added on offense, the coaches are confident. Carter is gone. Slightly different approach on offense this fall but should look good with Rivers at the helm. The team still sees themselves as underdogs, that's a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by RockNation View Post
    Quite a few transfers added on offense, the coaches are confident. Carter is gone. Slightly different approach on offense this fall but should look good with Rivers at the helm. The team still sees themselves as underdogs, that's a good thing!
    Nothing is wrong with some expectations, even if its also from the "Talking Heads".

Don't quite understand how they can sell the "underdogs" role to the team, but if it works then cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Nothing is wrong with some expectations, even if its also from the "Talking Heads".

Don't quite understand how they can sell the "underdogs" role to the team, but if it works then cool.
    The way they sell it to the team is pretty much Wes hills being gone . Everyone knows they depended on him so much that NOW it’s time to show up. All their recruiting was offense . Plus they got a 6’5 WR and another track star we both transfers who coming in. And 2 running backs . 1 from Rutgers

Anyone have any names for these transfers we have coming in?

12. Default Re: Preseason rankings

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post

Wes Hills was a hell of a football player. I agree with MadBoss, his loss has been enough to motivate the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNation View Post
    Wes Hills was a hell of a football player. I agree with MadBoss, his loss has been enough to motivate the team.
    True; but I would argue that losing your best 2 OL and your top 2 TE's creates a bigger hole. Hills' backup, Fochtman averaged 5.3 a carry.

14. Default Re: Preseason rankings

True; but I would argue that losing your best 2 OL and your top 2 TE's creates a bigger hole. Hills' backup, Fochtman averaged 5.3 a carry.

They were very good run blockers. New TE's looked good during the spring game; not as good blockers yet, but better receivers.

OL, I hope the new squad can measure up. You couldn't ask for a better OL coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Anyone have any names for these transfers we have coming in?
    Victor Talley Tiffin Dragons
    Height: 6-4
    Weight: 210
    WR
    YDS
    YDS/G
    TD

Any news out of CalU ? You'd think they would be in the mix this year with their 2nd year star QB.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Any news out of CalU ? You'd think they would be in the mix this year with their 2nd year star QB.

You mean Saban didn’t steal him away to Alabamastan?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    #football-strong

I'm sure I'm forgetting how recent it has been, but I can't seem to recall at this time ---- Shepherd not being ranked in a preseason poll. Looking at the team on paper, they are pretty solid so I'm 'assuming' that the move to the PSAC and scheduling Ohio Dominican early on has played a part in being left off this year. From top to bottom, this is a much tougher conference but I really thought they'd get a few votes since they've played the teams in this conference and region 1 pretty tough in the past. Hopefully, they can use the excitement of moving to the conference with the 'something' to prove to their advantage. But, as mentioned above - would rather start off the list and finish the year on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nova2wv View Post
    I'm sure I'm forgetting how recent it has been, but I can't seem to recall at this time ---- Shepherd not being ranked in a preseason poll. Looking at the team on paper, they are pretty solid so I'm 'assuming' that the move to the PSAC and scheduling Ohio Dominican early on has played a part in being left off this year. From top to bottom, this is a much tougher conference but I really thought they'd get a few votes since they've played the teams in this conference and region 1 pretty tough in the past. Hopefully, they can use the excitement of moving to the conference with the 'something' to prove to their advantage. But, as mentioned above - would rather start off the list and finish the year on it.
    More likely the intern assembling the 'rankings' just forgot about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast