Thread: Bart Starr dies

Contribute to D2

Default Bart Starr dies

I thought it appropriate to post.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...yer-ever-lived

2. Default Re: Bart Starr dies

Certainly one of the iconic NFL players of all-time. The first Super Bowl hero I suppose as he was named MVP of the first two games though they were not officially coined the SB at that time (and some felt that a badly hung over Max McGee should have been given the award in the first game). Unquestionably the play that Starr is most remembered for is the winning QB sneak at the end of the ultra-frigid 1967 New Years Eve NFC title game against the Dallas Cowboys upon the literally frozen tundra of Lambeau Field. Starr was about as big a hero as the game could ever have with his early relevance in the advent of the Super Bowl era. I know that when I first started reading about the history of the game when I was seven or so---I was in awe of him. He was the very first QB to win SB titles.

He later coached the Packers in the mid-1970s up through the early 1980s though not to a lot of success.

The game of football owes guys like Starr and Vince Lombardi a lot.

-

Default Re: Bart Starr dies

I'm old enough to remember watching that game. I was 15. It's an indelible memory. Starr wasn't all that physically gifted. But, he was a WINNER.

We only had three stations on our TV back in backwater eastern Oklahoma. CBS, NBC, and ABC. We got the Cowboys game every Sunday. From 1960 on I watched every game I could.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I'm old enough to remember watching that game. I was 15. It's an indelible memory. Starr wasn't all that physically gifted. But, he was a WINNER.

We only had three stations on our TV back in backwater eastern Oklahoma. CBS, NBC, and ABC. We got the Cowboys game every Sunday. From 1960 on I watched every game I could.
    Agreed on the winner part. Look at his stats and even back then they suggested “game manager”, especially compared to Unitas and the high-flying AFL offenses. But that term would suggest an inferior quarterback, and Starr wasn’t inferior.

You watch that drive at the end of the Ice Bowl and that drive was every bit as good as anything Montana, Brady, or Elway (and Unitas) ever did. He was just flat out clutch, and I certainly wouldn’t call him a game manager.

Cowboys fans like my dad must have thought they would never win the big one after that.

The Ice Bowl was one of my first real memories of watching football. I was 6 or 7, and of course rooted for the packers because they usually won, and was a huge Bart Starr Fan after that.