Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

  1. #1

    Default LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    I called this one a while back. Gannon, ESU and now Lock Haven have it. I'm looking for Bloom to add it and then others.

    http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21947

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    97,410
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Ms. Taylor is probably bouncing off the walls wherever she’s at...

  3. #3

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    How many females are wrestling on the high school level? I can't assume many?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,490
    Rep Power
    70212

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    How many females are wrestling on the high school level? I can't assume many?
    Yes but its growing at a surprisingly rapid pace. I imagine the PIAA will vote on adding it within the next five years.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    61097

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Yes, it's growing slowly. A number of schools around here fielded females in the low weights this year.

    Gettysburg High has a very good wrestler named Montana Delawder, wrestled in districts at 119, I think. She's nationally ranked among females.

    This got sidetracked in 2014 when the Roman Catholic Diocese in Harrisburg mandated that if one of its non-public schools was to face a female on the wrestling mat, the parochial male would have to forfeit the match. I don't know what adjustments have been made since.

    https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2014...harrisbur.html

  6. #6

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    How many females are wrestling on the high school level? I can't assume many?
    This is the most recent stats I could find *(below). It's from 2017-18. So, in 2017-18, there were 16,562 girls wrestling nationwide. So, now it's ~20,000. The number of state athletic associations that have sanctioned girl's wrestling is approaching 20. Maryland is the most recent - just in the last month. New Jersey has. It's really taking off. It has to be the fastest growing scholastic sport. PIAA will have to act soon on it.

    "Supporters say the ultimate goal is to increase the sport’s overall participation. Wrestling has seen a dip over the past decade. In 2007-08, there were 265,215 wrestlers (boys and girls) nationwide, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). Last year, that total was 262,126.
    But girls’ national participation has more than tripled in that span, from 5,527 to 16,562. The growth has come largely because states are adding girls’ wrestling."

    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...hs/2349243002/

  7. #7

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Ms. Taylor is probably bouncing off the walls wherever she’s at...
    It's a natural thing for LHU to have women's wrestling. They had a fledgling program in the 2000's for several years. The first American Olympic medalist in Women's Wrestling was from LHU. Sara McMann won silver at the 2004 Olympics and became the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in the sport. She worked out with the men.

    Here's a pretty cool video of Sara in the '04 Olympics.




    Of course, this also helps men's sports for Title IX reasons. That's why Bloom will be next.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 05-23-2019 at 09:18 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Yes, it's growing slowly. A number of schools around here fielded females in the low weights this year.

    Gettysburg High has a very good wrestler named Montana Delawder, wrestled in districts at 119, I think. She's nationally ranked among females.

    This got sidetracked in 2014 when the Roman Catholic Diocese in Harrisburg mandated that if one of its non-public schools was to face a female on the wrestling mat, the parochial male would have to forfeit the match. I don't know what adjustments have been made since.

    https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2014...harrisbur.html
    It's growing rapidly nationwide and the pre-eminent wrestling state of PA is behind the times. Not surprising. With NJ and MD making it a sanctioned sport PA will soon follow. These college programs will fuel the growth of girls' wrestling in PA.
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 05-23-2019 at 12:48 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Can't see Bloom adding women's wrestling. They have a hard enough time recruiting for the men. High school wrestling seems to have fallen off, and it surely has affected the college product. In high school girls wrestle boys, maybe that is how it should be in college. If Bloom added a women's team, it should be rugby, since they have a good club team.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    61097

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Well, if we close our eyes and just wish, maybe the PSAC will catch up to the men's lacrosse boom.

    Nahhhhhh.

  11. #11

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Well, if we close our eyes and just wish, maybe the PSAC will catch up to the men's lacrosse boom.

    Nahhhhhh.
    They want to pretend like it doesn't exist.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,620
    Rep Power
    23737

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Women can add whatever they want but guys have to make cuts every year b/c of the horrid title 9 crap!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,490
    Rep Power
    70212

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Women can add whatever they want but guys have to make cuts every year b/c of the horrid title 9 crap!
    You obviously don't have a daughter or care about fairness. Women are 60% of all college students. Before Title IX they were 10% of the opportunities to play collegiate sports. IUP is 58% women.
    Last edited by Fightingscot82; 05-24-2019 at 07:59 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Another article.

    http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21957

    There has been a lot of pressure from the women's side recently at Lock Haven (even though the women have a better situation at LH than most places.) More pending lawsuits, etc. Adding women's wrestling is a great response to that pressure. As I said, it helps the men's sports, too, in terms of Title IX.

    The article above doesn't go into detail about what the men's coach (Scott Moore) really thinks. However, I know that Wrestling is a business in Lock Haven. Not only will LHU be a national leader in Womens Wrestling but there will be Camp opportunities. Revenue $$$.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    97,410
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    You obviously don't have a daughter or care about fairness. Women are 60% of all college students. Before Title IX they were 10% of the opportunities to play collegiate sports. IUP is 58% women.

    The other side of that argument is what percentage of the female population at a school is even interested in sports compared to the men. I’m think not many ladies give a flip about playing any sport while the percentage of the male population who does is much higher. The reason for Title IX is good but it’s execution just hampered opportunities for men.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    The other side of that argument is what percentage of the female population at a school is even interested in sports compared to the men. I’m think not many ladies give a flip about playing any sport while the percentage of the male population who does is much higher. The reason for Title IX is good but it’s execution just hampered opportunities for men.
    I agree with all of this, including the part about laws made with good intentions but having horrible unintended consequences.

  17. #17

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    The other side of that argument is what percentage of the female population at a school is even interested in sports compared to the men. I’m think not many ladies give a flip about playing any sport while the percentage of the male population who does is much higher. The reason for Title IX is good but it’s execution just hampered opportunities for men.
    That's like saying girls shouldn't study math because there's just not as many female doctors, engineers and scientists as their male counterparts.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lionville, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    97,410
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    That's like saying girls shouldn't study math because there's just not as many female doctors, engineers and scientists as their male counterparts.

    But I’m not saying they shouldn’t have expanded spirts for women. They should have just created women’s teams. IUP should not have had to cut men’s soccer or wrestling. They should have just added women’s sports.

    The fact is on average men play sports far more than women. So what Title IX is doing is just cutting opportunities for men. What It should have done is make schools expand sports programs for women.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    61097

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    But I’m not saying they shouldn’t have expanded spirts for women. They should have just created women’s teams. IUP should not have had to cut men’s soccer or wrestling. They should have just added women’s sports.

    The fact is on average men play sports far more than women. So what Title IX is doing is just cutting opportunities for men. What It should have done is make schools expand sports programs for women.
    Totally agree with this.

  20. #20

    Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

    Title IX is an abomination for 1 reason ans 1 reason only. Football. There is no other sport out there that requires the numbers like football does, so that drastically skews the numbers in the men side too much. At a D1 level you would need 4 women sports offering 20 scholarships each to equal a football team. There just were not that many type of sports out there to equalize football. If people would have just used their brains and exempt football from title IX or qualified it at 1/4 or 1/2 of the ratio (instead of using 85 they only counted 22 or even 44 of the 85) then many men sports could have been saved. But that would have taken thought and effort and leadership from politicians and Colleges Administrations so we are in our current state because neither group are capable of such matters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •