Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

Default Re: LHU adding Women's Wrestling

Women's Wrestling named as an Emerging Sport by the NCAA for all 3 NCAA divisions.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21986

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/21985

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    In my experience schools have cut programs that are under supported. Not under performing - under supported. So when IUP cut wrestling it wasn't because IUP wrestling had the worst record - it was because it wasn't drawing the type of support IUP basketball or football gets. If IUP's enrollment continues to shift toward more women (and demographic data suggests that its likely) expect baseball to be next.
    And by support you mean money? Very few sports at any school get as much support as their football and men’s basketball teams do.

When Temple dropped 7 sports 5 years ago due to lack of support, 5 were men’s and 2 were women’s.

As IUPNation said, it’s not just total enrollment but interest in athletic participation. Many schools have a lot of good men’s club sports that either used to be or could be NCAA programs but for Title IX.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    As IUPNation said, it’s not just total enrollment but interest in athletic participation.
    That's a static view. When I was growing up in the '60's and '70's I was socialized to play sports. All the guys were, pretty much. Not too many girls, though, just the "tomboys."

Fast forward 20 years, it's all changing. Another 20 years it changes more. And on and on.

That is actually one of the key objectives for Title IX as it applies to sports participation. To increase it for the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That is actually one of the key objectives for Title IX as it applies to sports participation. To increase it for the girls.
    I (and most people I know) have no problem with that. The problem is the way it is written allowed it to be at the expense of men sports opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefln View Post
    I (and most people I know) have no problem with that. The problem is the way it is written allowed it to be at the expense of men sports opportunities.
    It was always meant to be at the expense of men's opportunities. Equal protection means equal access and women were getting significantly less access and treatment.

I actually thought about it over the weekend while reading a book that mentioned the interpretations of Title IX. Equality should mean that a school has around the same number of participation numbers for men and women. However, most schools have been using an equity measure to resemble enrollment (most schools are ~55% female). The federal law only says equal but case law has successfully shifted it to equitable.

So schools either have to get more men to enroll (using the equity model) or argue for a full split of opportunity (using the equality model). I feel like its a Catch 22 situation - who do you want to piss off? The bitter baseball and wrestling alumni are less likely to sue than the women wanting their interpretation to become practice.

To put it simply, I fall off the Title IX bus right around the time it's interpreted to mean fewer opportunities for men rather than more opportunities for women. Don't want to hear about finances in this context; you're better than you were before, or you're worse than you were before. Period.

If the University of West-Central Pennsylvania wants to get rid of baseball, it will not be an improvement in the landscape. If it wants to add women's wrestling without losing a men's sport, than that is an improvement.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 06-10-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    To put it simply, I fall off the Title IX bus right around the time it's interpreted to mean fewer opportunities for men rather than more opportunities for women. Don't want to hear about finances in this context; you're better than you were before, or you're worse than you were before. Period.

If the University of West-Central Pennsylvania wants to get rid of baseball, it will not be an improvement in the landscape. If it wants to add women's wrestling without losing a men's sport, than that is an improvement.
    What if it can't afford to offer 8 men's sports and add a 12th women's sport?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123