Thread: George Chuamp passes away

Contribute to D2

Default Re: George Chuamp passes away

An amazing football coach. And a nice guy.

They talk about coaches having oversized egos. You didn't see that egoism with Chaump but he was a great leader.

He had a great football mind. Especially for offense.

3. Default Re: George Chuamp passes away

Chaump was the coach (along with AD Frank Cignetti) who in 1982 took IUP football in a new direction and into a modern era that culminated with unparrelled success with the latter man at the helm. As the article states Chaump had high-profile stops at Ohio State, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL, Marshall and the US Naval Academy. He deserves to be considered an IUP legend for the job that he did during his stint here from 1982-85.

It is very sad to consider that such guys from those teams like Coach Chaump, Rich Ingold, Dave Seidel and Troy Jackson are no longer with us upon this mortal coil. Time has passed and with it some amazing guys who more than left their mark here.

-

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post

They talk about coaches having oversized egos. You didn't see that egoism with Chaump but he was a great leader.

He was able to convince Woody Hayes that he had a mind for offense.

At Ohio State, Chaump is credited with helping to change the Buckeyes' offense. Although Hayes at first did not take to what Chaump wanted to do offensively, the assistant was able to convince the head coach to diversify the offense by throwing the ball more. That change in offensive approach helped the Scarlet and Gray to the 1968 national championship, the third of the four Hayes won during his time in charge at Ohio State.
    https://247sports.com/college/ohio-s...-83-132169686/

A gift to be great and not have the oversized ego. for the good guys

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Chaump was the coach (along with AD Frank Cignetti) who in 1982 took IUP football in a new direction and into a modern era that culminated with unparrelled success with the latter man at the helm. As the article states Chaump had high-profile stops at Ohio State, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL, Marshall and the US Naval Academy. He deserves to be considered an IUP legend for the job that he did during his stint here from 1982-85.

It is very sad to consider that such guys from those teams like Coach Chaump, Rich Ingold, Dave Seidel and Troy Jackson are no longer with us upon this mortal coil. Time has passed and with it some amazing guys who more than left their mark here.

-

I think one of the coolest places on the whole IUP campus is actually in the lobby of Memorial Field House. I love to read all the plaques on the wall. Time forgets so many people.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2019...tball-man.html

This is a great article (link above) Read it.

Believe it or not I first became aware of George Chaump in the late 60's when he was in the last stages of his stint at John Harris High. In about '67 I became interested in sports and never looked back. I was only 8 then but my brother was 9 years older than me and he told me all about John Harris High's success. I didn't know Chaump by name then but as it turns out George Chaump was considered the #1 high school football coach in America. 58-4 at John Harris from 1962-67, competing at the highest level of high school football was an incredible thing. As proof of this he jumped from being a high school coach to the staff at tOSU.

Years later, I was honored to have met him and worked with him in the early '80's when I worked in the External Relations Department at IUP. At that time, we were all trying to make IUP into a higher profile place. It did work to a certain extent. Football was one of the successes and Chaump could be considered the Father of it. We will never know what would have happened if Frank Cignetti hadn't brought Chaump in as HC in '82. Most likely, history would be different. But he did and the rest is history.

Default George Chuamp passes away

Oh that is sad news. He was the head coach when I entered IUP. He got the ball rolling.

RIP

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2019...tball-man.html

This is a great article (link above) Read it.

Believe it or not I first became aware of George Chaump in the late 60's when he was in the last stages of his stint at John Harris High. In about '67 I became interested in sports and never looked back. I was only 8 then but my brother was 9 years older than me and he told me all about John Harris High's success. I didn't know Chaump by name then but as it turns out George Chaump was considered the #1 high school football coach in America. 58-4 at John Harris from 1962-67, competing at the highest level of high school football was an incredible thing. As proof of this he jumped from being a high school coach to the staff at tOSU.

Years later, I was honored to have met him and worked with him in the early '80's when I worked in the External Relations Department at IUP. At that time, we were all trying to make IUP into a higher profile place. It did work to a certain extent. Football was one of the successes and Chaump could be considered the Father of it. We will never know what would have happened if Frank Cignetti hadn't brought Chaump in as HC in '82. Most likely, history would be different. But he did and the rest is history.
    I spent the best part of a quarter-century editing David Jones' columns, and this one might have been the best.

How many times in life do you meet somebody who you know is a special individual just by talking to them? George Chaump was that guy. Soft-spoken, but a man of action. And he never forgot about the young lives he touched, either. That was always his top priority. They do not make 'em like George anymore.