Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNAC looking at a new school

Default GNAC looking at a new school

Bellevue College in Bellevue, Wa has be contacted multiple times in the last year in hopes that they would be interested in joining the GNAC.

Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Hope the GNAC requires them to add football BEFORE joining.

Bellevue College used to be a JC in the NWAACC. Yakima CC, Wenatchee CC, and Walla Walla CC had football, but don't remember any others that did.

4. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

I'd assume they wont be required to add football if they join and from chatter they are considered a insurance policy if CWU would to leave the GNAC.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAC_Fan View Post
    I'd assume they wont be required to add football if they join and from chatter they are considered a insurance policy if CWU would to leave the GNAC.
    Where would CWU go? Not the FCS

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Where would CWU go? Not the FCS
    NSIC to replace Augustana when they leave............

Quote Originally Posted by GNAC_Fan View Post
    What league would CWU join? Big Sky not expanding in near or distant future.

Also, Bellevue doesn't have sports right now, why ask them? Wouldn't Southern or Eastern Oregon be more attractive? They actually have this thing called an athletic department.

Quit the craziness GNAC.

8. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Also, Bellevue doesn't have sports right now, why ask them? Wouldn't Southern or Eastern Oregon be more attractive? They actually have this thing called an athletic department.
    What are you talking about? They have almost everything but track/XC and football. They even have golf and tennis. https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/athletics/sports/

This makes total sense. Bellevue now offers 4 year degrees so I figured it was only a matter of time before they at least jumped to NAIA. But it would be great to have them join the GNAC.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

9. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Bellevue College used to be a JC in the NWAACC. Yakima CC, Wenatchee CC, and Walla Walla CC had football, but don't remember any others that did.
    They still are a JC in the NWAC for athletics, though academically they do now offer 4 year degrees. They do not have an official football team though there is a local club team based in Bellevue that plays in a local junior college club football league.
    Follow my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/CWUCrimsonCommitted

My bad, didn't know they were Bellevue CC.

11. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Bellevue offers 12 4 year degrees and would be the 2nd biggest school in the league behind SFU. All their facilities are upgraded or new besides their gym and that is in the 1st stage of upgrading. According to those I know at Bellevue College GNAC feels CWU will leave sooner than later. So they want to protect themselves as a league I'm sure GNAC are looking at all options but I can only speak for the BC option and what I know of that.

Which West region league is CWU joining?

13. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Not sure nor do I care where CWU might go I was told BC has been contacted by GNAC b/c of they feel CWU is looking elsewhere.

My Eburg contact says they're not looking to move right now. He's pretty connected.

15. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Maybe the GNAC just recognizes an up and coming school that would be a long term asset to the conference. In order to remain strong and viable its good to have a depth of quality institutions, that way if you have a defection or two you aren’t scrambling. Plus an infusion of new blood is generally a good thing. They should be proactive about increasing the talent pool and brand of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy34 View Post
    Maybe the GNAC just recognizes an up and coming school that would be a long term asset to the conference. In order to remain strong and viable its good to have a depth of quality institutions, that way if you have a defection or two you aren’t scrambling. Plus an infusion of new blood is generally a good thing. They should be proactive about increasing the talent pool and brand of the conference.
    I agree with looking at other schools, I'd prefer they make their pitches to schools with football -- Carroll, SOU, EOU -- but maybe they have. Bellevue would be interesting, I guess. I just don't believe CWU is D-1 bound, unless they plan on cutting football and joining the we-take-everybody-WAC, and since CWU just spent a lot in football stadium improvements, I doubt they're cutting the sport.

GNAC has 11 schools. They would not have to seek a "replacement" in any kind of quick time frame.

CWU is not looking to go anywhere. THis is poor conjecture.

GNAC has 11 schools. They would not have to seek a "replacement" in any kind of quick time frame.

CWU is not looking to go anywhere. THis is poor conjecture.
    Also, when people say, "I don't know what league," it's just happening, a school has to have a conference to join. The Big Sky is not adding right now or in the near future and I've heard they want to get out of the smaller, regional schools -- NAU, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Dixie, etc. -- and would like to get something more Montana-like and less Southern Utah (5K stadium). That's just what I've heard.

It's like the UAA guy who came in here last year blasting D2 and saying UAA has to go up. UAA in many ways profiles like a D-1 mid-major, but what league are they joining? Let's break it down in the West. The Pac-12 isn't taking any D2 or any FCS schools, period. If they expand, it will be Texas and Oklahoma, they tried that once. They don't even want any more small stadium schools like OSU and WSU. Next up the WAC, which doesn't have football, but has UM-Kansas City, Chicago State, and others. They just added Cal Baptist. Would they add an Alaska school with already having the most travel of any conference in America? Doubtful. The WCC (no football) is a private school only league and won't even let Seattle U. back in.

The Mountain West would love to trade San Jose State for a school that wins in football and gets great crowds, they'd basically love BYU to rejoin. They're not adding anyone from the Big Sky, case closed.

This isn't the East, South, or Midwest, where there are plenty of leagues to join. I get crickets when I say what league will these teams join? That's step 1, not step 5. You can't just be D1 or FCS because you want to, you have to have a league to join.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Also, when people say, "I don't know what league," it's just happening, a school has to have a conference to join. The Big Sky is not adding right now or in the near future and I've heard they want to get out of the smaller, regional schools -- NAU, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Dixie, etc. -- and would like to get something more Montana-like and less Southern Utah (5K stadium). That's just what I've heard.

It's like the UAA guy who came in here last year blasting D2 and saying UAA has to go up. UAA in many ways profiles like a D-1 mid-major, but what league are they joining? Let's break it down in the West. The Pac-12 isn't taking any D2 or any FCS schools, period. If they expand, it will be Texas and Oklahoma, they tried that once. They don't even want any more small stadium schools like OSU and WSU. Next up the WAC, which doesn't have football, but has UM-Kansas City, Chicago State, and others. They just added Cal Baptist. Would they add an Alaska school with already having the most travel of any conference in America? Doubtful. The WCC (no football) is a private school only league and won't even let Seattle U. back in.

The Mountain West would love to trade San Jose State for a school that wins in football and gets great crowds, they'd basically love BYU to rejoin. They're not adding anyone from the Big Sky, case closed.

This isn't the East, South, or Midwest, where there are plenty of leagues to join. I get crickets when I say what league will these teams join? That's step 1, not step 5. You can't just be D1 or FCS because you want to, you have to have a league to join.
    I would say step 1 of a D1 move has 3 parts. a) Number of sports sponsored, b) Finances, c) Conference invite. D1 requires 14 total sports sponsored where CWU has 13 NCAA sports, I doubt CWU has the budget that will support highly competitive D1 teams, and CWU does not have a conference invite.

20. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    I would say step 1 of a D1 move has 3 parts. a) Number of sports sponsored, b) Finances, c) Conference invite. D1 requires 14 total sports sponsored where CWU has 13 NCAA sports, I doubt CWU has the budget that will support highly competitive D1 teams, and CWU does not have a conference invite.
    I'm sure the GNAC would love to add one or more teams. I have heard the same rumors around Bellevue before, but they would have to invest significantly in facilities to meet the NCAA D2 standard. In addition, their athletic budget would have to expand significantly. Same goes for the NAIA schools making the jump. NAIA doesn't have as strict compliance standards as the NCAA. It can be done, but it requires a significant investment for the schools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast