Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GNAC looking at a new school

Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

UAA doesn’t have football either so I’m sure a non-football conference would suit them fine. There was a couple years ago a lot of talk about a jump to D1, especially with the facilities that UAA had built. Right now they have this gorgeous state of the art facilities, nicest of any D2 schools and probably quite a few D1s. At best the men’s team probably 1/2 fills the place. So people look at the facilities and say, there must be something bigger planned or why did they spend all that money. Also the Hockey program already competes at the D1 level so that adds fuel to the fire. But as the years have gone on those talks have sort of died. Maybe the explored the overall cost of a jump to D1 in all programs? The state has taken quite an economic downturn the last few years, to the point that there has been discussions if some of the teams between UAA and UAF might go away, or they would combine in some fashion but those talks have been held off to this point. We will see moving forward as we have a governor who is very hell bent on cutting the states overall budget in half.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGNAC View Post
    I'm sure the GNAC would love to add one or more teams. I have heard the same rumors around Bellevue before, but they would have to invest significantly in facilities to meet the NCAA D2 standard. In addition, their athletic budget would have to expand significantly. Same goes for the NAIA schools making the jump. NAIA doesn't have as strict compliance standards as the NCAA. It can be done, but it requires a significant investment for the schools.
    Carroll College already has enough sports to go DII, and there budget would be above mid pack in the GNAC. SOU has the sports, and would be just below GNAC budget levels. EOU would have to add sports, and they would be at the bottom of the GNAC. CoI has the sports, a natural rival in the GNAC, and deep pockets for alums and area support.

BC would probably be the worst addition possible to the GNAC. They are not even close to being ready.

3. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    Carroll College already has enough sports to go DII, and there budget would be above mid pack in the GNAC. SOU has the sports, and would be just below GNAC budget levels. EOU would have to add sports, and they would be at the bottom of the GNAC. CoI has the sports, a natural rival in the GNAC, and deep pockets for alums and area support.

BC would probably be the worst addition possible to the GNAC. They are not even close to being ready.
    Carroll had started the transition to D2 several years ago... I think around the same time Simon Fraser joined. Not sure what happened. Maybe they will revisit based on today's news that Lewis and Clark State is moving to the Cascade Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGNAC View Post
    Carroll had started the transition to D2 several years ago... I think around the same time Simon Fraser joined. Not sure what happened. Maybe they will revisit based on today's news that Lewis and Clark State is moving to the Cascade Conference.
    LC State is not that big a deal in the Frontier. It makes sense since LC is baseball and hoops, where as the Frontier is mostly about football and hoops. The CCC sponsors 10 of LCSC's 12 sports, whereas the Frontier only supports seven. With NAIA hoops moving to only one division in 2020-21, it becomes an even more no brainer as the CCC will effectively be on par with the Frontier.

The big deal with Carroll is that they are concerned about moving to D2 and losing "natural rivals" in Tech, Western and Rocky Mountain.
    Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 05-20-2019 at 06:33 PM.

What sports would EOU have to add? EOU and SOU have the same sports. They have all the GNAC sports except baseball and men's and women's golf and also have wrestling.

Blog Entries

It must be late May....... spring ball is done, fall workouts are 2 1/2 months away....... it's the moving up thread! CWU ain't going anywhere. Stadium is great, but is half the size of Eastern and it's my belief that the Big Sky wants nothing to do with us, which is great!

Carroll and SOU....... I'll believe it when I see it. UAA and UAF, no idea how they move up.

Not being negative, always enjoy the banter and points made, but just wanted to add my $0.02.

Blog Entries

Also........ if the GNAC adds another non-FB school, I'm going to lose my @×%#%&%÷.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    What sports would EOU have to add? EOU and SOU have the same sports. They have all the GNAC sports except baseball and men's and women's golf and also have wrestling.
    My mistake. I was going off past knowledge. I see they added softball, and not sure what they added on the men's side. They do have teh number of sports to go DII. They still have a below average athletic budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Goods View Post
    Also........ if the GNAC adds another non-FB school, I'm going to lose my @×%#%&%÷.
    I will be there with you. No football, NO GNAC!

I will be there with you. No football, NO GNAC!
    Yep on all accounts. College of Idaho and Carroll College are each at the NAIA max for football scholarships, which is 24 or 25, they each would transition well to D2, IMO.

11. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Quote Originally Posted by Goods View Post
    It must be late May....... spring ball is done, fall workouts are 2 1/2 months away....... it's the moving up thread! CWU ain't going anywhere. Stadium is great, but is half the size of Eastern and it's my belief that the Big Sky wants nothing to do with us, which is great!

Carroll and SOU....... I'll believe it when I see it. UAA and UAF, no idea how they move up.

Not being negative, always enjoy the banter and points made, but just wanted to add my $0.02.
    Neither UAF nor UAA is going anywheres; especially UAF (you know, other than circling the drain, that is). OMG. Go not revive the talks of UAA going DI or I will lose my, how do you say it?... &*#%@%... And nobody and nobody's friends on here want me to lecture on UAA's facilities, why they have it, why it doesn't matter, why it rubs me wrong, why I hate it and on and on. Many of the problems in Alaska are highlighted by our newly elected governor and it seems likely that any moves towards longterm stability will be fraught for the moment. I really love living here for many reasons, but man, the problems loom large.

Yes. It is late May... Happy summer/down season!

12. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Neither UAF nor UAA is going anywheres; especially UAF (you know, other than circling the drain, that is). OMG. Go not revive the talks of UAA going DI or I will lose my, how do you say it?... &*#%@%... And nobody and nobody's friends on here want me to lecture on UAA's facilities, why they have it, why it doesn't matter, why it rubs me wrong, why I hate it and on and on. Many of the problems in Alaska are highlighted by our newly elected governor and it seems likely that any moves towards longterm stability will be fraught for the moment. I really love living here for many reasons, but man, the problems loom large.

Yes. It is late May... Happy summer/down season!
    I love watching games there, ha.

But no one was more angry than UAA Hockey fans about the Ak Air Center. The basketball team got those facilities while the D1 hockey team stayed in the dumpy Sullivan Arena. I don’t watch hockey though so I was cool with it.

UAA is not going D1 anytime soon. It will be lucky to have a D2 bball program.

The AAC is one of the reasons the public is not very supportive of the university system funding. Between it and the $250 million UAF power plant, there has been very little fiscal responsibility. Couple that will boneheaded gaffs like getting the accreditation of the teacher certification program pulled at UAA, and the university management has little credibility with the general public. Result is that funding is going to be hard to come by for some time - so athletics are going to have a tough road.

Blog Entries

15. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_AK View Post
    UAA is not going D1 anytime soon. It will be lucky to have a D2 bball program.

The AAC is one of the reasons the public is not very supportive of the university system funding. Between it and the $250 million UAF power plant, there has been very little fiscal responsibility. Couple that will boneheaded gaffs like getting the accreditation of the teacher certification program pulled at UAA, and the university management has little credibility with the general public. Result is that funding is going to be hard to come by for some time - so athletics are going to have a tough road.
    If you look at the crossroads initiative, the one idea of the three that received the most support was UAA and UAF combining to become just the University of Alaska. Basketball would be played down here, Hockey up in Fairbanks at the Carlson Center and the rest split up between the two campuses. But I don’t think anyone sees a scenario that basketball won’t be played in Anchorage with that Arena. I also don’t think there is public support for a loss of athletics completely. Not to get too deep into local politics but even the legislature seems to be ignoring the governor. So I don’t think there is much chance we won’t see basketball played in Anchorage but I agree the D1 ship sailed long ago. But I don’t want to leave people thinking basketball in Anchorage is in major trouble, most I have talked to doesn’t believe that is the case or I would have sent my son to play at a different school. I wouldn’t have wanted him involved in that sort of mess.

It mentioned MSU Billings dropping. Not sure I see that scenario given their recent investments in coaches.

17. Default Re: GNAC looking at a new school

It mentioned MSU Billings dropping. Not sure I see that scenario given their recent investments in coaches.
    The Frontier conference has been consistently losing teams. They only have 6 and basketball teams were playing each other 3x during conference play which is very unusual. I'm not sure why it would make sense for MSUB to drop down except from a travel/budget perspective.

MSU-Billings has been a nice member of the GNAC and just had a killer baseball season, making the tough Western Regionals. They aren't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    MSU-Billings has been a nice member of the GNAC and just had a killer baseball season, making the tough Western Regionals. They aren't going anywhere.
    Mick Durham agrees with you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12