Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to PSAC

Contribute to D2

Default New to PSAC

Sheoherd Rams coming to PSAC, looking for pointers on watching upcoming games. Is there a central place to watch games or is it based on each school to broadcast?

Default Re: New to PSAC

PSAC streaming app on Roku/Fire/AppleTV, etc

Bigger the game ... worse the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Bigger the game ... worse the feed.
    It seems like that sometimes, Probably 2/3 of the teams have decent feeds though, Some like IUP, Cal SRU, Kutz, Seton Hill and Ship are really good - if you ignore the student announcers. A few, Gannon in particular, seem like some guy, with an old camera, that moves it to follow the action after each play -less if its cold.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaniup View Post
    It seems like that sometimes, Probably 2/3 of the teams have decent feeds though, Some like IUP, Cal SRU, Kutz, Seton Hill and Ship are really good - if you ignore the student announcers. A few, Gannon in particular, seem like some guy, with an old camera, that moves it to follow the action after each play -less if its cold.
    Gannon's basketball feed is liking watching The Blair Witch. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ek327 View Post
    Sheoherd Rams coming to PSAC, looking for pointers on watching upcoming games. Is there a central place to watch games or is it based on each school to broadcast?
    Bottom line: The PSAC website has a composite schedule for each sport. On there, they keep up with video links very well for each game. I'd say it's one of the best things they do.

And it will be a rare football or basketball game that isn't streamed.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Bottom line: The PSAC website has a composite schedule for each sport. On there, they keep up with video links very well for each game. I'd say it's one of the best things they do.

And it will be a rare football or basketball game that isn't streamed.
    ... except over the 7-week XMAS break. The majority of schools don't broadcast the games during that eternity of a break.

Ship always did. IUP doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Ship always did. IUP doesn't?
    IUP does not.

Well, the video's finally working for me for a good PSAC East matchup this morning, Millersville-Bloomsburg. Eli Nabholz vs. Ashton Raines; won't be many runs here. 0-0 after inning and a half.

Was that the guy who wiped the lens of the camera off, albeit infrequently?

I think the best part of our streams are the announcers. They aren't students. I don't know if they're local radio guys or what. But I like them. I think SRU does a really good job all around with our football broadcasts.

I'm going to stick up for the IUP student announcers. Yes, there are times when they don't seem to know what they are talking about and that can be frustrating for a listener; however, I think it's a great experience for them so I would rather have it that way. IUP has a great journalism and communications media (is that what they call it now?) school. After all, it is a university-sponsored webcast so I accept it. I think it's a good thing. Although it can be maddening at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ek327 View Post
    Without knowing your situation (where you live, your work sked, etc.) my advice: go to some of the games. Living outside Philly, I can't get back to SRU as much as I would like. But I think going to road games is a lot of fun. In recent years, we've been to West Chester, Shippensburg, Kutztown and Shepherd (have only won once in those games (don't get me started on the KU and Ship losses), but it's still fun). Hopefully you can get to some games this year and enjoy the PSAC. Good luck in your first year as a member!

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I'm going to stick up for the IUP student announcers. Yes, there are times when they don't seem to know what they are talking about and that can be frustrating for a listener; however, I think it's a great experience for them so I would rather have it that way. IUP has a great journalism and communications media (is that what they call it now?) school. After all, it is a university-sponsored webcast so I accept it. I think it's a good thing. Although it can be maddening at times.
    Still really nice opportunity for STUDENTS to get a running start on a potentially very satisfying career. Several meteorology majors at CAL U have added media course work to line up some nice forecaster gigs.

16. Default Re: New to PSAC

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Still really nice opportunity for STUDENTS to get a running start on a potentially very satisfying career. Several meteorology majors at CAL U have added media course work to line up some nice forecaster gigs.
    True, but too many of them think they now have a soapbox and they go off on the refs and the coaches for no reason other than they now have a microphone. The ones who take the job seriously do pretty well

Obvious lack of adult mentorship with the broadcasts. Not so much for editorial purposes but to review the broadcast with them, point out areas for improvement, etc. Its like kids doing ham radio in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I agree and it’s really fun to listen to when they have really strong yinzer accents.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    I agree and it’s really fun to listen to when they have really strong yinzer accents.

I think only twice since my junior year has the crew both been from western PA. Last year was a western PA crew. Prior to that it was a couple year run of kids from the east side of Harrisburg.

I’ve caught a lot of “wooter” coming through the speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Obvious lack of adult mentorship with the broadcasts. Not so much for editorial purposes but to review the broadcast with them, point out areas for improvement, etc. Its like kids doing ham radio in the 70s.
    I have to agree with you Fightingscot. By the end of the season the same young announcers are still making the same errors. VERY difficult to listen to, even though it is a good start for them. They need some mentorship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast