Thread: Do D2 Coaches get Fired?

Default Do D2 Coaches get Fired?

It seems to me that D2 Coaches never get fired for mediocrity. They usually are asked to resign and get a nice write up for services and move on.

I guess some do fired but not do to performance but due to other unscrupulous activities such as Commerce Basketball Assistant.

Default Do D2 Coaches get Fired?

We fired ours after Tarleton beat us 80-14 in 2014. Sixth game of the season too.

Our Women’s basketball coach contract was not renewed after this season ended , so does that count as a firing?

Default Re: Do D2 Coaches get Fired?

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    We fired ours after Tarleton beat us 80-14 in 2014. Sixth game of the season too.

Our Women’s basketball coach contract was not renewed after this season ended , so does that count as a firing?
    80-14? That deserves firing.

Don Carthel was fired in grand style, press conference and all. Since then, our football team has sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Techster88 View Post
    It seems to me that D2 Coaches never get fired for mediocrity. They usually are asked to resign and get a nice write up for services and move on.

I guess some do fired but not do to performance but due to other unscrupulous activities such as Commerce Basketball Assistant.
    I'd say it depends. For instance, WT softball's Abrams "resigned" today after a 32-15 second season. I bet it wasn't a voluntary resignation. Had her record been 15-32 she still may have been given the chance to "resign." But everyone would know she was fired. Or like LSC fan said, it would have been announce that her contract was not being renewed.......that means fired.

Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post

Don Carthel was fired in grand style, press conference and all. Since then, our football team has sucked.
    Don wasn’t fired for his coaching. He was fired for stuff away from the game.

I’m talking about being fired for just being average or below average.

Dale Carr
    Will Wagner

[QUOTE=LSC Fan;2383043]We fired ours after Tarleton beat us 80-14 in 2014. Sixth game of the season too.

This is what I’m talking about. This does not seem to be the norm in D2.

In D1 you are wrote up as fired like Arkansas basketball coach. No D2 write up about niceties and other offers or your time spent at University.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    I'd say it depends. For instance, WT softball's Abrams "resigned" today after a 32-15 second season. I bet it wasn't a voluntary resignation. Had her record been 15-32 she still may have been given the chance to "resign." But everyone would know she was fired. Or like LSC fan said, it would have been announce that her contract was not being renewed.......that means fired.
    Was this the first year coach y’all were discussing making head scratcher decisions? She must’ve gotten caught up in the drama that can sometimes overtake you coaching softball.

Was this the first year coach y’all were discussing making head scratcher decisions? She must’ve gotten caught up in the drama that can sometimes overtake you coaching softball.
    Yep. 2nd year coach. 32-15 for WT softball won't cut it. Period. I bet our AD has more like 42-5 in mind. He gave her her chance. Not good enough was the result.

Yep. 2nd year coach. 32-15 for WT softball won't cut it. Period. I bet our AD has more like 42-5 in mind. He gave her her chance. Not good enough was the result.
    I hear ya! But, is there a shorter leash for some sports over others?

Say football goes 6-5 again with a couple of blowouts like last year does HC continue on?
    Last edited by Techster88; 05-14-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Evidently. The football team has sucked since 2013. Nesbitt only had a winning record because we played teams like OPSU, McMurry, and Kingsville when they were down. I still hope Hughes will be a success, but he's running out of time. We'll see if the new OC can improve Houghtaling's play. Maybe we can win 7 games this year.

Say football goes 6-5 again with a couple of blowouts like last year does HC continue on?
    6-5 again and I hope they show him the door or give him a 1 year warning to improve or else

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
    6-5 again and I hope they show him the door or give him a 1 year warning to improve or else
    Hughes will get a chance thru 2020, barring a total collapse this year, something like a 4 win season. My guess is if WT doesn't make the playoffs in 2020 Hughes might be out. Our AD is determined to see football succeed.

Guy Morriss

Quote Originally Posted by WT_TKW View Post

Actually his boss should have taken part of the sword too. Unfortunately we had to go through another few years of his tenure before he left on his own and part of the reason we are stuck in sucksville is some of the decisions he made such as lowering football's status at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by LionFan View Post
    Guy Morriss
    Did your administration really think he was going to have success at Commerce? Or was it sort of a Hail Mary type hire and if it worked... great. If not, roll the dice again? Kind of like Herm Edwards at Arizona State or heck, your new coach for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by LSC Fan View Post
    Did your administration really think he was going to have success at Commerce? Or was it sort of a Hail Mary type hire and if it worked... great. If not, roll the dice again? Kind of like Herm Edwards at Arizona State or heck, your new coach for that matter.
    I think - at the time - that we had people making decisions for the athletic department that had no idea what they were doing and thought they were making a "splash" hire. By they I mean Carlton Cooper. He basically just wanted to use his D1 past to bring in D1 people because hey, D2 should be easy to win in, and they have to be better if they were in D1 right? I had concerns from go with Morriss but tried to ignore them thinking they wouldnt play out, but they did. A lot of people from the outside are concerned with the same thing with Bailiff, but having spent time with him, he and Morriss are nowhere remotely close to each other and I dont have concerns about Bailiff the way I did Morriss. I won't go into the details about Morriss because I actually thought he was a really nice man and was always good to me, but he and Bailiff are nothing alike in terms of why Morriss didn't succeed in Commerce.

I think - at the time - that we had people making decisions for the athletic department that had no idea what they were doing and thought they were making a "splash" hire. By they I mean Carlton Cooper. He basically just wanted to use his D1 past to bring in D1 people because hey, D2 should be easy to win in, and they have to be better if they were in D1 right? I had concerns from go with Morriss but tried to ignore them thinking they wouldnt play out, but they did. A lot of people from the outside are concerned with the same thing with Bailiff, but having spent time with him, he and Morriss are nowhere remotely close to each other and I dont have concerns about Bailiff the way I did Morriss. I won't go into the details about Morriss because I actually thought he was a really nice man and was always good to me, but he and Bailiff are nothing alike in terms of why Morriss didn't succeed in Commerce.
    I hope you are right about Bailiff for your sanity. Seriously I go back to that season he had at SWT with that transfer QB from the U of H where he ran down the clock with plenty of time to try to win the playoff game and go for OT and they ended up losing. That was SWT's best shot since 83 to go to national title game and I don't think despite two coaching changes since then on top of the new hire, they recovered from that meltdown.

Hughes will get a chance thru 2020, barring a total collapse this year, something like a 4 win season. My guess is if WT doesn't make the playoffs in 2020 Hughes might be out. Our AD is determined to see football succeed.
    Reruns of 6-5 season, WAITING for a miracle. Been there; done that.

Hmmmm. But yet another D1 coaching hire. Hopefully, this one WILL be a "splash" hire.