Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UNC-Pembroke Football / The MEC

Contribute to D2

Default Re: UNC-Pembroke Football / The MEC

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Fairmont hasn't...but they have been consistently good (#2 or #3) for the last three years. Last year they lost by 3 to Notre Dame and finished second in the MEC with two losses. Maybe they "break out" this coming year and become the next MEC team to win the Region?

FYI...UC didn't win the MEC in 2015. They finished second with 1 loss.
    Fully aware. But that was the year they made the playoffs and, as been pointed out earlier, lost at home by 26 points to a PSAC school.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    So a team that was 2-8 this past year should do a 180 degree turn and be extremely good? Guess I have to keep an eye on their season....
    I believe a lot of their optimism comes from the fact that they are returning 21 out of 22 starters, including all of their skill players. Add in the fact that their coach knew that last season would be a rebuilding year, so he also went ahead and red-shirted a lot of his top recruited players. My Brave's friend may be right about them being loaded for at least the next couple of years. I'll be watching them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    I believe a lot of their optimism comes from the fact that they are returning 21 out of 22 starters, including all of their skill players. Add in the fact that their coach knew that last season would be a rebuilding year, so he also went ahead and red-shirted a lot of his top recruited players. My Brave's friend may be right about them being loaded for at least the next couple of years. I'll be watching them too.
    I understand they are bringing back most of their starters, plus only losing to 7 SRs/RS SRs. But they were 2-8 this past season with victories against 1-win Elizabeth City State and 2-win Concord. Now had the team went 5-5, then I would maybe agree with his optimism. But hey, I guess he knows his team, so like I stated, I will keep an eye on their upcoming season.

One year "turn around" is possible, but not probable. More likely that it takes at least two years. If the returning players are as good as your friend thinks, the players who were redshirted last year are as good as your friend says they are AND there are some gems in this years recruiting haul, a two year rebuild is quite possible. I'd look for 5 to 6 wins this year which would set them up to step up to the 8 win plateau the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle74 View Post
    For Richardson's sake they better hope they can turn things around. Richardson rode the wave that Shinnick left for long enough, but now it's time for him to show he can build the program back up after back to back 2-8 seasons.

One thing that really makes me wonder is why he can't keep QBs. UNCP goes 10-2 in 2016 but then the QB transfers to Catawba. In 2017 they start a RS freshman who had video game numbers in high school, he took some lumps but showed promise; however, he ended up leaving. Now the back up from last year, who saw some decent game action has left to give it a try at Cal. I got to wonder what is going on at UNCP as it relates to the QB position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12