Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    All 8 softball regions had 8 teams or 2 4-team sub-regionals. So more schools sponsor softball than baseball in the Atlantic, Southeast, South Central and West regions I guess.
    Maybe. Going to two 4-team brackets would have added one of the following to each bracket: California, Seton Hill, Shepherd or WSSU. Not sure anyone would argue that adding two of those teams would have made the overall Atlantic Regional tournaments worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Maybe. Going to two 4-team brackets would have added one of the following to each bracket: California, Seton Hill, Shepherd or WSSU. Not sure anyone would argue that adding two of those teams would have made the overall Atlantic Regional tournaments worse.
    That's a good way of looking at it. It adds two games to the overall sub-regional schedule:
    6 team region - Day 1 - 1 game, Day 2 - 2 games, Day 3 - 2 games
    8 team region - Day 1 - 2 games, Day 2 - 3 games, Day 3 - 2 games

Adelphi doesn't have lights, so Day 2's start times are 9am, noon, 3 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    That's a good way of looking at it. It adds two games to the overall sub-regional schedule:
    6 team region - Day 1 - 1 game, Day 2 - 2 games, Day 3 - 2 games
    8 team region - Day 1 - 2 games, Day 2 - 3 games, Day 3 - 2 games

Adelphi doesn't have lights, so Day 2's start times are 9am, noon, 3 pm.
    Which PSAC schools have lights? Bloom doesn't. I would much rather watch baseball at night, than football.

TV sports piece on Bloom: https://wnep.com/2019/05/15/bloomsbu...e-in-54-years/

I'm pretty sure nobody in the East has lights.

I'm a little ticked that Millersville promised steaming on all games, including Bloomsburg-Mercyhurst today, but it's not on.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    It would be a terrible investment.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It would be a terrible investment.
    Oh, I don't agree with that at all if it's a community investment. The college doesn't have to be the only occupant.

Oh, I don't agree with that at all if it's a community investment. The college doesn't have to be the only occupant.
    Communities are the ones that are usually opposed to schools having lights at their outdoor athletic facilities.

Rock is the only on-campus baseball field that has lights that I can recall.

Does any school pimp their field out to the oustside community? They usually get pretty territorial ... especially if it's a natural surface.

Admitting this thread is the most I've read about PSAC baseball in 20+ years combined.

It's Mercyhurst 4, Bloomsburg 2, bottom 4. Bad defensive second inning for the Huskies.

Does any school pimp their field out to the oustside community? They usually get pretty territorial ... especially if it's a natural surface.

Admitting this thread is the most I've read about PSAC baseball in 20+ years combined.
    SRU does. They have District 10 and PIAA playoff games at Critchfield Park.

Regarding lights, as mentioned above, SRU has them but rarely uses them anymore. I'm not sure why. Weather is almost certainly a factor, but the years I was in school, the last home DH of the year almost always started around 4 or 5 p.m. and finished under the lights. And we usually had a midweek home game with Mercyhurst (when they were GLIAC members) under the lights.

To be honest, in PSAC East territory, there are nicer high school (or legion) fields to use for postseason games. Hershey, Northern York, Owls Field (West Lawn), Muhlenberg, Wenger come to find. I'm probably missing a few.

It's Mercyhurst 4, Bloomsburg 2, bottom 4. Bad defensive second inning for the Huskies.
    Millersville hopes this game just keeps going and going. Tied 8-8 in the 12th

I'm a little ticked that Millersville promised steaming on all games, including Bloomsburg-Mercyhurst today, but it's not on.
    https://millersvilleathletics.com/wa...=858&type=Live

Be funny if this goes another 90 mins or so and it's stopped due to darkness haha

8-8 top 16

Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    SRU does. They have District 10 and PIAA playoff games at Critchfield Park.

Regarding lights, as mentioned above, SRU has them but rarely uses them anymore. I'm not sure why. Weather is almost certainly a factor, but the years I was in school, the last home DH of the year almost always started around 4 or 5 p.m. and finished under the lights. And we usually had a midweek home game with Mercyhurst (when they were GLIAC members) under the lights.

To be honest, in PSAC East territory, there are nicer high school (or legion) fields to use for postseason games. Hershey, Northern York, Owls Field (West Lawn), Muhlenberg, Wenger come to find. I'm probably missing a few.
    At minimum it's a grand to turn them on. And, being baseball draws 7-8 fans a game ... the math is simple.

That's the link, but it's not streaming.

Entering bottom 17, and relievers Russell Lamovec for Mercyhurst and Jared Marshman for Bloomsburg have been stretcched to 120 and 95 pitches, respectively. Something has to give soon.

8-8 after 17 complete.

That's the link, but it's not streaming.

Entering bottom 17, and relievers Russell Lamovec for Mercyhurst and Jared Marshman for Bloomsburg have been stretcched to 120 and 95 pitches, respectively. Something has to give soon.
    I am watching.

8-8 after 17 complete.
    Lakers take the lead in top of 18th. I guess it's good this is the only game at this particular site. Can you imagine the backlog if this was a the first of a tripleheader?

At minimum it's a grand to turn them on. And, being baseball draws 7-8 fans a game ... the math is simple.
    I don't know about other PSAC schools, but SRU does not charge admission to baseball games. So I don't think it's a money thing. I think it's them being smart and not playing at night when it's 40 degrees haha. Plus, those lights get a lot of use. There aren't many bright, sunny days at SRU in March and April.

IMO, hosting state playoff games is a huge plus for the baseball program in terms of recruiting. It's a chance for the school to show off the best park in the PSAC. And after this year, we need all the recruiting help we can get.

Lakers win, 9-8, in 18 innings. I'm sure Millersville is pleased with that game length haha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast