Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Butler Co, PA
    Posts
    198
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Probably the best PSAC baseball player to come through in recent years was Dan Altavilla. He pitched at Mercyhurst who has now sent a few players to the majors.

    For those unaware, Altavilla pitches for Seattle. He started this year in AAA, but spent much of last year in the majors. He’s got back end of the bullpen stuff. Upper 90s fastball, big slider.. He’s nasty.

    I played against Altavilla growing up and in high school. He was hands down the best baseball player I ever stepped onto a baseball field with or against. Which is saying something, considering that my high school team spent a week in Columbia, South Carolina every March playing SC schools during our exhibition season. I played against a couple guys that went to South Carolina and Clemson. Some of them got drafted.

    Altavilla actually threw a no-hitter against my high school team my senior year. I was on the mound for us on the losing end of it. Lol..

    He was hands down the best player I ever played with or against.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t follow PSAC baseball much. Was Matt Adams (SRU) one of the most successful PSAC guys in MLB. He’s still active with over 730 games played over 8 seasons, over 2200 plate appearances, his next HR will be #100 and maybe his most impressive stat is 4 stolen bases (I have no idea how he stole even one base). I think he has a World Series ring too.

    I know the scout for the Twins that was on him game after game but he couldn’t convince the brass to draft Matt. They didn’t see the potential, all they saw was the weight. It’s still something that bothers the scout.

  2. #22

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    The Huskies and Millersville should represent the PSAC well in regionals, and perhaps beyond.
    Will be interesting to see which 6 teams get in. I assume Shepherd is out and will be replaced by MEC tourney champ NDC or Charleston. Winston-Salem isn't in a conference, thus doesn't receive an automatic bid. It's their final year as a program, so does the NCAA throw them a bone and give them a bid? They have played a decent schedule and have an OK record. So I think yes.

    Also of note is the new format this year. I'm not a fan of a 3-team regional, but I guess it makes finishing these things easier in terms of weather.

    With that in mind, I think the NCAA goes this route:

    Millersville gets the top seed and has a regional with Gannon (4) and the MEC champ (5)
    West Chester gets the two seed and has a regional with Bloomsburg (3) and WSSU (6)

    That second line could just as easily be Bloomsburg (2) in a regional with West Chester (3) and Mercyhurst (6). But I think the Lakers dropping their final series to Gannon plus going 0-2 in Johnstown keeps them out.

    I'm also curious to see if these smaller regionals are played on campus sites or if Millersville will host at a place like Owls Field again.

  3. #23

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    From BU sports:

    "The championship is a monumental accomplishment for the Huskies as they earned the school's fourth overall title after winning in 1955, 1956, and 1965. The first two championships came when the school was known as Bloomsburg State Teachers College while the last title came five years after the school changed its name to Bloomsburg State College. Since the Huskies last championship, the United States of America has seen ten different presidents including Lyndon B. Johnson who was the country's leader in 1965. The cost of a stamp was five cents, a gallon of gas was 31 cents, and the price of milk was a whopping 95 cents. Fifty-four years ago, the Sound of Music was released, the St. Louis Arch was constructed, and the Vietnam War was still going on - just to put into perspective the historical nature of the Huskies' championship."

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    61097

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Will be interesting to see which 6 teams get in. I assume Shepherd is out and will be replaced by MEC tourney champ NDC or Charleston. Winston-Salem isn't in a conference, thus doesn't receive an automatic bid. It's their final year as a program, so does the NCAA throw them a bone and give them a bid? They have played a decent schedule and have an OK record. So I think yes.
    Winston-Salem's surprisingly solid history in the regional will weigh heavily in its favor.

    I still see Millersville as a solid favorite here. They can throw two next-level starters in their first two games, and has quite a few guys who have been deep in the tournament previously. WCU probably has the single most dangerous bat in Jared Melone, but I don't know if their rotation lines up well. Bloomsburg would have beaten this field in April, saw its red-hot April sticks cool off, and is just now beginning to hit its stride again. Haven't seen enough of Gannon or Mercyhurst to give a really good read on them.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 05-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #25

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Winston-Salem's surprisingly solid history in the regional will weigh heavily in its favor.

    I still see Millersville as a solid favorite here. They can throw two next-level starters in their first two games, and has quite a few guys who have been deep in the tournament previously. WCU probably has the single most dangerous bat in Jared Melone, but I don't know if their rotation lines up well. Bloomsburg would have beaten this field in April, saw its red-hot April sticks cool off, and is just now beginning to hit its stride again. Haven't seen enough of Gannon or Mercyhurst to give a really good read on them.
    Welp, WSSU baseball is officially defunct. I agree with the committee's decision to put Mercyhurst in over WSSU but I wouldn't have disagreed had they taken the Rams over the Lakers. Mercyhurst had such a bad finish to the season. But now they get a mulligan. And an immediate rematch with Bloomsburg.

    Some interesting super regional possibilities: West Chester vs. Millersville; Gannon vs. Merchyhurst; Bloomsburg vs. West Chester, etc.

    I love the idea of super regionals in D2. I think super regionals in D1 are a very underrated part of that tournament. Plus, this format will help the D2 pitching staffs. Three or four games in a weekend is a lot more manageable than 7 or 8.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Will be interesting to see which 6 teams get in. I assume Shepherd is out and will be replaced by MEC tourney champ NDC or Charleston. Winston-Salem isn't in a conference, thus doesn't receive an automatic bid. It's their final year as a program, so does the NCAA throw them a bone and give them a bid? They have played a decent schedule and have an OK record. So I think yes.

    Also of note is the new format this year. I'm not a fan of a 3-team regional, but I guess it makes finishing these things easier in terms of weather.

    With that in mind, I think the NCAA goes this route:

    Millersville gets the top seed and has a regional with Gannon (4) and the MEC champ (5)
    West Chester gets the two seed and has a regional with Bloomsburg (3) and WSSU (6)

    That second line could just as easily be Bloomsburg (2) in a regional with West Chester (3) and Mercyhurst (6). But I think the Lakers dropping their final series to Gannon plus going 0-2 in Johnstown keeps them out.

    I'm also curious to see if these smaller regionals are played on campus sites or if Millersville will host at a place like Owls Field again.
    Well done sir.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Winston-Salem's surprisingly solid history in the regional will weigh heavily in its favor.

    I still see Millersville as a solid favorite here. They can throw two next-level starters in their first two games, and has quite a few guys who have been deep in the tournament previously. WCU probably has the single most dangerous bat in Jared Melone, but I don't know if their rotation lines up well. Bloomsburg would have beaten this field in April, saw its red-hot April sticks cool off, and is just now beginning to hit its stride again. Haven't seen enough of Gannon or Mercyhurst to give a really good read on them.
    Did you really just put those statements next to each other? Bloomsburg's bats batted .173 and scored 11 runs in their 4 regular season games against West Chester. Granted, the WCU starter struggled against the Huskies in Johnstown. With six teams, it could be only three games each week.

  8. #28

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Little bit of coverage in the Trib ...


    https://triblive.com/sports/seton-wa...omsburg-title/

  9. #29

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Little bit of coverage in the Trib ...


    https://triblive.com/sports/seton-wa...omsburg-title/
    I give Seton Hill's coach credit for not complaining. If you allow your season to come down to winning the PSAC tournament, that's playing with fire (or rain).

    I'm interested to see how this new format unfolds over the next two weeks.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    I give Seton Hill's coach credit for not complaining. If you allow your season to come down to winning the PSAC tournament, that's playing with fire (or rain).
    True. After Seton Hill swept through the PSAC tournament last season and was one bad inning away from forcing a final regional championship game against Hurst last year, so they tend to get hot at the right time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    I'm interested to see how this new format unfolds over the next two weeks.
    First observation is the region was reduced from 7 teams to 6 teams rather than increased to 8 teams like half the regions. Now, a team could win the region by winning just 3 games and then the super region the following week with another 2 games. So it's still 5 wins, but over two weeks, which means only 3 starting pitchers are needed, instead of 4 or 5 like in the PSAC tournament or in the NCAA's prior to the super regional format.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Etters PA
    Posts
    1,314
    Rep Power
    61097

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    And the 4-5 starters are the make-and-break point for a lot of these clubs. The difference between throwing a 3.50 ERA guy against an 8.50 ERA guy.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,917
    Rep Power
    172233

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    First observation is the region was reduced from 7 teams to 6 teams rather than increased to 8 teams like half the regions.
    It looks as though the number of bids per region depends on how many schools sponsor the sport within the region, with the four largest regions allocated eight bids apiece and the four smallest regions allocated six bids apiece:

    Central: 39 teams, 8 bids (GAC: 12; MIAA: 12; NSIC: 15)
    Midwest: 37 teams, 8 bids (GLIAC#: 8; GLVC: 14; GMAC: 13; Independents*: 2)
    South: 36 teams, 8 bids (GSC: 13; SIAC: 12; SSC: 11)
    East: 35 teams, 8 bids (CACC: 12; ECC: 8; NE-10: 15)
    Atlantic: 32 teams, 6 bids (MEC: 12; PSAC: 16; Independents*: 4)
    Southeast: 32 teams, 6 bids (CC: 10; PBC: 11; SAC: 11)
    West: 27 teams, 6 bids (CCAA: 12; GNAC: 6; PacWest: 9)
    South Central: 25 teams, 6 bids (Heartland^: 8; LSC^: 7; RMAC: 10)

    NOTES

    * - Atlantic Region independents include Bluefield State, St. Augustine's, Virginia State and Winston-Salem State (Lincoln-PA, which previously competed in the CIAA when that league sponsored baseball, is an associate member in the East Coast Conference and, thus, is listed in the East Region).
    ** - Midwest Region independents include Oakland City (Ind.) and Salem (W.Va.).
    # - The GLIAC was in danger of losing their automatic qualifier bid after the GMAC split as there were only five teams remaining which sponsored the sport - Ashland, Grand Valley, Northwood, Saginaw Valley and Wayne State. However, (1) Davenport and Purdue-Northwest began their transition from NAIA to D2 and (2) Wisconsin-Parkside leaving the GLVC to join the GLIAC gave the league eight teams from this season onward.
    ^ - The Heartland Conference and Lone Star Conference will merge on July 1, 2019. Current HC members Newman and Rogers State will be joining the MIAA from 2019-2020 onward; the newly expanded LSC will have 13 baseball teams, which reduce the South Central region's count to 23 when factoring in Newman and Rogers State moving to the Central Region, the departure of Dixie State from the RMAC to D1 and the addition of Texas-Tyler (transition from D3).

    Now, a team could win the region by winning just 3 games and then the super region the following week with another 2 games. So it's still 5 wins, but over two weeks, which means only 3 starting pitchers are needed, instead of 4 or 5 like in the PSAC tournament or in the NCAA's prior to the super regional format.
    I'm getting a migraine trying to figure out how this sub-regional bracket works... maybe I'll give it another go in the morning.
    Last edited by ctrabs74; 05-14-2019 at 03:29 AM.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    It looks as though the number of bids per region depends on how many schools sponsor the sport within the region, with the four largest regions allocated eight bids apiece and the four smallest regions allocated six bids apiece:

    Central: 39 teams, 8 bids (GAC: 12; MIAA: 12; NSIC: 15)
    Midwest: 37 teams, 8 bids (GLIAC#: 8; GLVC: 14; GMAC: 13; Independents*: 2)
    South: 36 teams, 8 bids (GSC: 13; SIAC: 12; SSC: 11)
    East: 35 teams, 8 bids (CACC: 12; ECC: 8; NE-10: 15)
    Atlantic: 32 teams, 6 bids (MEC: 12; PSAC: 16; Independents*: 4)
    Southeast: 32 teams, 6 bids (CC: 10; PBC: 11; SAC: 11)
    West: 27 teams, 6 bids (CCAA: 12; GNAC: 6; PacWest: 9)
    South Central: 25 teams, 6 bids (Heartland^: 8; LSC^: 7; RMAC: 10)

    NOTES

    * - Atlantic Region independents include Bluefield State, St. Augustine's, Virginia State and Winston-Salem State (Lincoln-PA, which previously competed in the CIAA when that league sponsored baseball, is an associate member in the East Coast Conference and, thus, is listed in the East Region).
    ** - Midwest Region independents include Oakland City (Ind.) and Salem (W.Va.).
    # - The GLIAC was in danger of losing their automatic qualifier bid after the GMAC split as there were only five teams remaining which sponsored the sport - Ashland, Grand Valley, Northwood, Saginaw Valley and Wayne State. However, (1) Davenport and Purdue-Northwest began their transition from NAIA to D2 and (2) Wisconsin-Parkside leaving the GLVC to join the GLIAC gave the league eight teams from this season onward.
    ^ - The Heartland Conference and Lone Star Conference will merge on July 1, 2019. Current HC members Newman and Rogers State will be joining the MIAA from 2019-2020 onward; the newly expanded LSC will have 13 baseball teams, which reduce the South Central region's count to 23 when factoring in Newman and Rogers State moving to the Central Region, the departure of Dixie State from the RMAC to D1 and the addition of Texas-Tyler (transition from D3).
    Thanks for all of your detailed research on this. It seemed odd that the Atlantic had only 6 teams while the East had 8, but i suppose the cutoff point is in that area of 33-34 teams in a region.

  14. #34

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    I think the NCAA's logic is messed up in the differing regional bracket sizes. It doesn't change the fact that it's easier to make the CWS from a smaller region. It's still a finite pool of teams in each region battling for a single CWS spot, regardless of how many make the regional.

    An extreme example of the NCAA's faulty logic is in men's soccer, where the Central region only has nine teams total and is allotted only two postseason spots, but those teams get first- and second-round byes and start in the regional final.

  15. #35

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    It looks as though the number of bids per region depends on how many schools sponsor the sport within the region, with the four largest regions allocated eight bids apiece and the four smallest regions allocated six bids apiece:

    Central: 39 teams, 8 bids (GAC: 12; MIAA: 12; NSIC: 15)
    Midwest: 37 teams, 8 bids (GLIAC#: 8; GLVC: 14; GMAC: 13; Independents*: 2)
    South: 36 teams, 8 bids (GSC: 13; SIAC: 12; SSC: 11)
    East: 35 teams, 8 bids (CACC: 12; ECC: 8; NE-10: 15)
    Atlantic: 32 teams, 6 bids (MEC: 12; PSAC: 16; Independents*: 4)
    Southeast: 32 teams, 6 bids (CC: 10; PBC: 11; SAC: 11)
    West: 27 teams, 6 bids (CCAA: 12; GNAC: 6; PacWest: 9)
    South Central: 25 teams, 6 bids (Heartland^: 8; LSC^: 7; RMAC: 10)

    NOTES

    * - Atlantic Region independents include Bluefield State, St. Augustine's, Virginia State and Winston-Salem State (Lincoln-PA, which previously competed in the CIAA when that league sponsored baseball, is an associate member in the East Coast Conference and, thus, is listed in the East Region).
    ** - Midwest Region independents include Oakland City (Ind.) and Salem (W.Va.).
    # - The GLIAC was in danger of losing their automatic qualifier bid after the GMAC split as there were only five teams remaining which sponsored the sport - Ashland, Grand Valley, Northwood, Saginaw Valley and Wayne State. However, (1) Davenport and Purdue-Northwest began their transition from NAIA to D2 and (2) Wisconsin-Parkside leaving the GLVC to join the GLIAC gave the league eight teams from this season onward.
    ^ - The Heartland Conference and Lone Star Conference will merge on July 1, 2019. Current HC members Newman and Rogers State will be joining the MIAA from 2019-2020 onward; the newly expanded LSC will have 13 baseball teams, which reduce the South Central region's count to 23 when factoring in Newman and Rogers State moving to the Central Region, the departure of Dixie State from the RMAC to D1 and the addition of Texas-Tyler (transition from D3).



    I'm getting a migraine trying to figure out how this sub-regional bracket works... maybe I'll give it another go in the morning.
    It's more or less the same as in Division 1. The winners from the 4-team (or 3-team) double-elimination regionals advance to best-of-3 Super Regionals to earn a spot in Omaha ... I mean Cary. The only difference in the D2 bracket is each 'region' has two double-elimination brackets. The winners meet in a Super Regional, which determines who wins the region and a spot in the CWS. Hopefully that didn't just confuse you more haha

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    It's more or less the same as in Division 1. The winners from the 4-team (or 3-team) double-elimination regionals advance to best-of-3 Super Regionals to earn a spot in Omaha ... I mean Cary. The only difference in the D2 bracket is each 'region' has two double-elimination brackets. The winners meet in a Super Regional, which determines who wins the region and a spot in the CWS. Hopefully that didn't just confuse you more haha
    It's the 3 team subregional that weird. The two lower seeds play (Bloomsburg/Mercyhurst) on opening day, then the loser of game 1 (for example Mercyhurst) plays the host (Millersville) on the second day. If the host (Millersville) wins, then Mercyhurst is eliminated it becomes a best of three between the two remaining teams (Bloomsburg and Millersville).

    But if the host (Millersville) loses (to Mercyhurst), then the host (Millersville) plays the the opening day winner (Bloomsburg) immediately.
    A) If Bloomsburg wins, Millersville is eliminated and Mercyhurst would have to beat Bloomsburg twice on day 3.
    B) If Millersville defeats Bloomsburg, everybody has one loss. Then Millersville plays Mercyhurst and the winner of that game plays Bloomsburg for the region championship.

  17. #37

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    It's the 3 team subregional that weird. The two lower seeds play (Bloomsburg/Mercyhurst) on opening day, then the loser of game 1 (for example Mercyhurst) plays the host (Millersville) on the second day. If the host (Millersville) wins, then Mercyhurst is eliminated it becomes a best of three between the two remaining teams (Bloomsburg and Millersville).

    But if the host (Millersville) loses (to Mercyhurst), then the host (Millersville) plays the the opening day winner (Bloomsburg) immediately.
    A) If Bloomsburg wins, Millersville is eliminated and Mercyhurst would have to beat Bloomsburg twice on day 3.
    B) If Millersville defeats Bloomsburg, everybody has one loss. Then Millersville plays Mercyhurst and the winner of that game plays Bloomsburg for the region championship.
    Yeah when you have an odd numbered of teams in a double elimination bracket, it gets all kinds of goofy. I hadn't looked at the format they're using. I figured the winner of Game 1 would then play the host, then both losers would play with the surviving team needing to win twice on the last day. Either way, smarter people than me put these tournaments together haha

  18. #38

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Yeah when you have an odd numbered of teams in a double elimination bracket, it gets all kinds of goofy. I hadn't looked at the format they're using. I figured the winner of Game 1 would then play the host, then both losers would play with the surviving team needing to win twice on the last day. Either way, smarter people than me put these tournaments together haha
    It's not just odd numbers. Six is awkward also. Basically anything that isn't a power of two.

  19. #39

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Inkblot View Post
    It's not just odd numbers. Six is awkward also. Basically anything that isn't a power of two.
    Right. I was mainly speaking for each 3-team bracket. But if you combined them into a 6-team, double-elim bracket, that would get awkward.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lalaland
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    21956

    Default Re: PSAC baseball in Johnstown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    Right. I was mainly speaking for each 3-team bracket. But if you combined them into a 6-team, double-elim bracket, that would get awkward.
    All 8 softball regions had 8 teams or 2 4-team sub-regionals. So more schools sponsor softball than baseball in the Atlantic, Southeast, South Central and West regions I guess.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •