Contribute to D2

Default Targeting protocols approved for football

Targeting protocols approved for football

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...roved-football

Default Re: Targeting protocols approved for football

Quote Originally Posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    Targeting protocols approved for football

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...roved-football
    The blind side blocking rule was instituted in HS last year via NFHS. I think it is great to see at the NCAA level. There isn't anything special about blocking someone in that manner. It is a horrible football play.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
    The blind side blocking rule was instituted in HS last year via NFHS. I think it is great to see at the NCAA level. There isn't anything special about blocking someone in that manner. It is a horrible football play.
    I have to agree there is nothing special about clocking a guy that does not even know you are coming. I think these are good rule changes. I also hope we continue to encourage young men right out of college football to give back and become an official...Agree to at least try it for a year or so..that should be part of every programs exit interview with their guys.

In theory I love the blindside rule but I am worried how "forcible contact" could be judged differently from official to official.

5. Default Re: Targeting protocols approved for football

Like this?

Ha Ha Ha...

But yes. You should be allowed to block someone that close to the ball carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    In theory I love the blindside rule but I am worried how "forcible contact" could be judged differently from official to official.
    The HS rule is pretty straight forward:

The committee stated that the blindside block “involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone.”

The initial contact has to be made with open hands. We coach it as similar to a pick in basketball but leading with your hands.

I remember during the Championship game against Pitt, we intercepted, and their star RB , Germaine Race , was absolutely leveled by defensive end, Calvin English.
    His performance suffered greatly after that ... Had it been a penally back then, wonder if the game would have turned our diffentely. It's a good rule and
    English took a cheap shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide_Right View Post
    I remember during the Championship game against Pitt, we intercepted, and their star RB , Germaine Race , was absolutely leveled by defensive end, Calvin English.
    His performance suffered greatly after that ... Had it been a penally back then, wonder if the game would have turned our diffentely. It's a good rule and
    English took a cheap shot.
    Pitt should have kept pounding the football.