Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed New Bracket Structure for 2019

Contribute to D2

Default Proposed New Bracket Structure for 2019

From the NCAA D2 Championships Committee's April 4 teleconference:

a. Revised bracketing model for the Division II Football Championship.

(1) Recommendation. That once the Division II Football Committee selects the seven teams from each of the four super regions (no change from previous selection process), those teams will be placed in the bracket as follows:

• The top four teams in each of the four super regions will remain in their original seed (as selected) and be placed in their home super region.
    • The No. 1 seed will still receive a bye in the first round as has been the case in prior years.
    • Teams ranked 5, 6 and 7 in each super region (at the point of selections as determined by the national committee on Selection Sunday) will be placed in the bracket in any region. The first priority in placing all unseeded teams will be to minimize potential flights.
    • Teams selected in the 5th, 6th, and 7th spots from each super region will not have a seed affiliated with them when they are placed into the bracket.

(2) Effective date. 2019 championship.

(3) Rationale. The recommended model from the Division II Football Committee was proposed as a way to address rising travel costs over recent years, particularly since regions were realigned in 2017 to accommodate the addition of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. While overages in the past two years have been handled within the overall championships budget, the Championships Committee and the Football Committee both agreed that alternative models should be sought to mitigate expenses in the future. Championships Committee members believe the Football Committee’s proposal is worth implementing for the short term; however, the Football Committee shall continue to review the matter and explore alternatives (including a re-examination and financial analysis of regional alignments, travel party size, etc.) in case this model does not produce the intended results.

(4) Estimated budget impact. A minimum of $198,000 (2 charter flights) to a maximum of $594,000 (six charter flights) are the potential savings for a given year of the championship.

(5) Student-athlete impact. The proposed bracketing model would result in more teams taking ground transportation to first- or second-round sites, which in turn will allow families, friends and program supporters increased opportunities to attend playoff contests in support of their teams.

Not sure how to react to this proposal, to be honest...
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Default Re: Proposed New Bracket Structure for 2019

Interesting and thanks for posting. I suspect that this won't impact the densely populated northeast/SR1.

Morons.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    From the NCAA D2 Championships Committee's April 4 teleconference:

a. Revised bracketing model for the Division II Football Championship.

(1) Recommendation. That once the Division II Football Committee selects the seven teams from each of the four super regions (no change from previous selection process), those teams will be placed in the bracket as follows:

• The top four teams in each of the four super regions will remain in their original seed (as selected) and be placed in their home super region.
    • The No. 1 seed will still receive a bye in the first round as has been the case in prior years.
    • Teams ranked 5, 6 and 7 in each super region (at the point of selections as determined by the national committee on Selection Sunday) will be placed in the bracket in any region. The first priority in placing all unseeded teams will be to minimize potential flights.
    • Teams selected in the 5th, 6th, and 7th spots from each super region will not have a seed affiliated with them when they are placed into the bracket.

(2) Effective date. 2019 championship.

(3) Rationale. The recommended model from the Division II Football Committee was proposed as a way to address rising travel costs over recent years, particularly since regions were realigned in 2017 to accommodate the addition of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference. While overages in the past two years have been handled within the overall championships budget, the Championships Committee and the Football Committee both agreed that alternative models should be sought to mitigate expenses in the future. Championships Committee members believe the Football Committee’s proposal is worth implementing for the short term; however, the Football Committee shall continue to review the matter and explore alternatives (including a re-examination and financial analysis of regional alignments, travel party size, etc.) in case this model does not produce the intended results.

(4) Estimated budget impact. A minimum of $198,000 (2 charter flights) to a maximum of $594,000 (six charter flights) are the potential savings for a given year of the championship.

(5) Student-athlete impact. The proposed bracketing model would result in more teams taking ground transportation to first- or second-round sites, which in turn will allow families, friends and program supporters increased opportunities to attend playoff contests in support of their teams.

Not sure how to react to this proposal, to be honest...
    Never in favor of any proposal that lessens the competitive integrity of a competition.

It's completely absurd for an organization with revenues North of 1 Billion to be concerned about 2 charter flights which is less than a rounding error.

I've been holding tight to my don't play the players stance but man the NCAA continually makes incoherent decisions. If they are going to run "amateur" sports as a business, it's time to blow up the entire organization and pay the employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
    Never in favor of any proposal that lessens the competitive integrity of a competition.

It's completely absurd for an organization with revenues North of 1 Billion to be concerned about 2 charter flights which is less than a rounding error.

I've been holding tight to my don't play the players stance but man the NCAA continually makes incoherent decisions. If they are going to run "amateur" sports as a business, it's time to blow up the entire organization and pay the employees.
    Well by "NCAA", you mean the coaches and administrators from the representative institutions.

So this was a recommendation to be effective this year, but when will it be voted on?

It would have been good if they included an example of how this would have changed the field for the past couple of seasons.

Hopefully, this is a first step to eliminating rigid regions in Division II.

I have no problem with measures to reduce costs. Potentially, this could also be accomplished by selecting the 28 participants and then constructing the bracket based upon geography.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Interesting and thanks for posting. I suspect that this won't impact the densely populated northeast/SR1.
    I don't think SR1 has ever had a problem in the travel arena. Most of the games are played in PA, WV, and OH with an occasion side trip to NE. The issue is the Midwest and Far West which almost require air travel just to play league games. Can't see that flying any SR1 school any where will result in savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I have no problem with measures to reduce costs. Potentially, this could also be accomplished by selecting the 28 participants and then constructing the bracket based upon geography.
    If I understand this correctly it will allow for teams from the same conference to meet later in the playoffs - potentially all the way to the championship game.
    Like Brandon said it could be the first step towards a less regionalized bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    If I understand this correctly it will allow for teams from the same conference to meet later in the playoffs - potentially all the way to the championship game.
    Like Brandon said it could be the first step towards a less regionalized bracket.
    Then why not just go all the way, scrap the regions and schedule the 28 best teams with proximity as the guide for scheduling. And then things can be as subjective as the FBS

That proposal would be even worse for competitive integrity.

Take 28 teams. Bracket 1-28. Give all travelling teams a set amount. Then the teams can decide whether to bus or fly based on what they can afford. Probably favors GV and their fleet of private aircraft.
    Last edited by Taxman; 05-03-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    But not a better, more competitive bracket. It would potentially be worse. Hey, let's send a 5-7 seed NW to Mankato, MN instead of to BFE, AR to save a flight.

What is the mileage now for flights? Thought they raised it a bit recently to make more teams bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Horror Child View Post
    Well by "NCAA", you mean the coaches and administrators from the representative institutions.

So this was a recommendation to be effective this year, but when will it be voted on?

It would have been good if they included an example of how this would have changed the field for the past couple of seasons.
    Similar minds dreamed up the super conference MIAA which has resulted in a turn style of institutions coming and going.

This is the beginning of the end.

But not a better, more competitive bracket. It would potentially be worse. Hey, let's send a 5-7 seed NW to Mankato, MN instead of to BFE, AR to save a flight.

What is the mileage now for flights? Thought they raised it a bit recently to make more teams bus.
    500 miles or further and you get to fly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    500 miles or further and you get to fly.
    That was the old threshold. It was changed to 600 two or three years ago, if I’m not mistaken. Taxman alluded to this earlier.

That proposal would be even worse for competitive integrity.

Take 28 teams. Bracket 1-28. Give all travelling teams a set amount. Then the teams can decide whether to bus or fly based on what they can afford. Probably favors GV and their fleet of private aircraft.
    Our 737 Max is out for repairs so I am not sure what we can do now...I would be all for anything that saves money but I do think this is a stretch at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Carlson View Post
    That was the old threshold. It was changed to 600 two or three years ago, if I’m not mistaken. Taxman alluded to this earlier.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware it had changed.

Here's how the 2018 bracket could have looked with this in place:

#1 Notre Dame (OH)
    #4 Kutztown vs. Texas A&M Commerce
    #2 LIU Post vs. Slippery Rock
    #3 West Chester vs. New Haven

#1 Valdosta State
    #4 Bowie State vs. Wingate
    #2 West Georgia vs. Florida Tech
    #3 Lenoir–Rhyne vs. West Alabama

#1 Ouachita Baptist
    #4 Indianapolis vs. Harding
    #2 Ferris State vs. Azusa Pacific
    #3 Grand Valley State vs. Hillsdale

#1 Minnesota State
    #4 Colorado Mines vs. CSU Pueblo
    #2 Tarleton State vs. Fort Hays State
    #3 Minnesota–Duluth vs. Northwest Missouri State

Note that only Azusa Pacific and Texas A&M Commerce would need to travel over 600 miles in the first round. There are a number of ways that the matchups could work out while maintaining only two flights. The 2017 season is a lot muddier, requiring four first-round flights.

But not a better, more competitive bracket. It would potentially be worse.
    It could be worse in terms of when teams meet but better in terms of teams selected.

It could be worse in terms of when teams meet but better in terms of teams selected.
    Meaning you could exclude a lot of teams or perhaps an entire region ? I've sensed this desire on this MB for some time now. Maybe since I first joined.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast