Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Default G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Over the past month I had a chance to attend five D2 spring games/practices; two in the GLIAC and three from G-MAC. Spoke to head and assistant coaches on a variety of subjects, below is a synopsis of their updates/predictions.

1. By 2020 both Ashland & Northwood will be leaving the GLIAC for the G-MAC
    2. I asked if UIndy would be joining either GLIAC or G-MAC and while all of the coaches would love to see UIndy in their league, none of them felt UIndy would be leaving their current conference
    3. I inquired if any Indiana or Michigan NAIA school would make the jump to D2, specifically Indiana Wesleyan since they have excellent facilities & quality sports teams and could excel in either league, none of those five coaches or their staff thought that was a possibility
    4. Inquiring that if both Ashland & Northwood left the GLIAC, leaving just seven football schools remaining, the two GLIAC coaches thought that scenario would be a disaster
    5. The G-MAC coaches seem more optimistic on their conference's future, even with Malone dropping football and Lake Erie's program on life support...noted their geography as being in their favor to continue to expand
    6. My final question to the G-MAC coaches was if Notre Dame College would leave the MEC and come over...all three loved that idea and stated they had no knowledge of NDC's intentions but suggested they would likely not leave since they are having so much success in that conference

Not a lot of updates...but maybe some info that is new to some of you and worth more discussion and/or investigation

Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

While I would be happy to have Northwood in the G-MAC, I just can't imagine that ever happening. Of course, you're a GLIAC fan so you would know more about their thoughts than I do. I think Ashland will jump and would not be surprised if UIndy stays where they are, although they would be a great add.

I still believe that the Falcons will eventually end up in the GMAC. It makes way too much sense not happen. However, I agree with point number 6 above. Recent success and a perceived easier path to playoffs may delay the move for awhile.

4. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Ashland has point blank stated they are not headed to the GMAC. I would be surprised if they would leave for a less competitive conference anyways. Northwood is in the heart of their conference and would be a huge financial stress to start traveling through Ohio to Kentucky. GMAC is looking to add institutions that support all of their sports, most notably wrestling, and men’s/women’s lacrosse. Seton Hill May be making jump before anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidesource View Post
    Ashland has point blank stated they are not headed to the GMAC.
    In 2018 they said they would revisit the issue in 2020.

6. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Ashland has point blank stated they are not headed to the GMAC. I would be surprised if they would leave for a less competitive conference anyways. Northwood is in the heart of their conference and would be a huge financial stress to start traveling through Ohio to Kentucky. GMAC is looking to add institutions that support all of their sports, most notably wrestling, and men’s/women’s lacrosse. Seton Hill May be making jump before anyone else.
    If the GMAC were able to pluck Notre Dame, I’m not sure you could say that the GLIAC would be a more competitive conference. Of course you will have GVSU, and then a cycle of FSU/SVSU, and the occasional surprise team, but the remainder of that conference is not much better then the middle of the GMAC. A conference containing Hillsdale, ODU, UF, Tiffin, Notre Dame, and Ashland would be a conference that would challenge for the Region 1 Championship each year. I would also contend that a lineup like that, would put them above the PSAC.

I highly doubt that Seton Hill would give up membership in a league there at least five of their divisional rivals are two hours or less away from Greensburg for travel deep into West Virginia, Kentucky and Nashville. Cal U AND IUP are about 45 minutes to the west and northeast, respectively; Pitt-Johnstown is about an hour east; and Clarion and Slippery Rock are about 90 minutes away.

By contrast, Alderson Broaddus would be Seton Hill's closest rivals in the GMAC (two hours); Walsh/Malone are 2 hr, 30 min between Greensburg and Canton); Lake Erie is about 2 hr, 45 min away.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

8. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    In 2018 they said they would revisit the issue in 2020.
    An update was provided to GMAC Athletic administrators at the NCAA conference in January that “more than likely they would be staying in GLIAC.” Although things may change, esp after fiscal year resets, I would be surprised if they make the jump

9. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I highly doubt that Seton Hill would give up membership in a league there at least five of their divisional rivals are two hours or less away from Greensburg for travel deep into West Virginia, Kentucky and Nashville. Cal U AND IUP are about 45 minutes to the west and northeast, respectively; Pitt-Johnstown is about an hour east; and Clarion and Slippery Rock are about 90 minutes away.

By contrast, Alderson Broaddus would be Seton Hill's closest rivals in the GMAC (two hours); Walsh/Malone are 2 hr, 30 min between Greensburg and Canton); Lake Erie is about 2 hr, 45 min away.
    KWC and TNU have already openly discussed leaving the GMAC due to their travel. Seton Hill wants a conference to fit all their needs athletically. GMAC would be the best fit for them and have already expressed interest to the conference to become full members.

My best guesses are that no one is interested in joining the G-MAC and that even schools currently in the G-MAC aren't interested in being in the G-MAC.

11. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    My best guesses are that no one is interested in joining the G-MAC and that even schools currently in the G-MAC aren't interested in being in the G-MAC.
    You aren’t wrong - the recent GMAC alignment was put together to save the schools in financial trouble. Other than Hillsdale, Cedarville, and maybe TN, the rest are in the red (some worse than others). Malone is a prime example. LEC may not be far behind

12. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Perhaps these schools should consider making a move to D3..honestly it might be the best solution for them.

13. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

You aren’t wrong - the recent GMAC alignment was put together to save the schools in financial trouble. Other than Hillsdale, Cedarville, and maybe TN, the rest are in the red (some worse than others). Malone is a prime example. LEC may not be far behind
    I'll be the first to admit that I could be incorrectly reading the annual report information, but it looks like Findlay is operating in the black as well (92.4 Mil operating support and revenue vs. 91 Mil operating expense).

14. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Quote Originally Posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post
    Perhaps these schools should consider making a move to D3..honestly it might be the best solution for them.
    Moving to D3 does not solve anything - these schools operate on the fact they are D2 affiliates. Not to mention none of the current “local” D3 conferences would welcome them in. They would either act as an independent D3 school, still traveling all over the country to find games, or they would move to NAIA and still not find “local” competition. These schools have to find success and financial stability under the D2 model or close.

15. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Quote Originally Posted by oilerftbll View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I could be incorrectly reading the annual report information, but it looks like Findlay is operating in the black as well (92.4 Mil operating support and revenue vs. 91 Mil operating expense).
    You certainly can be right - I was going by what I know through sources. They may be in black, but it’s not as much as some would think. Hopefully as these GMAC schools expand and introduce new athletic teams, majors, etc., they will see more financial stability.

I would imagine that there are a couple teams in the G-MAC that are hurting financially although I don't know that for sure. What I have heard is that there are several D3 schools in the area that are really hurting.

I don't really know that D3 saves much money. On the Dept. of Education website, the OAC schools' athletic expenses seem pretty similar to the G-MAC schools' expenses - except for the missing scholarship $. We all know that D3s "discount" on the other side of the ledger, so I'm not really sure that there is much net difference if a D2 isn't giving out maximum scholarships in all sports.

I'm sure that some/most G-MAC schools are hurting. Small private schools all over the country are hurting. The G-MAC is certainly not alone, nor is D2. D3s and NAIAs are having issues too. The landscape is changing. Having a lot of sports teams can probably get a school up to 400-500 kids. After that, you have to have things that attracts the "common" student. You have to have a "something" and there aren't many parameters to what that something is. Cedarville's "thing" is sticking to its guns - and remaining an unapologetically faith-based institution (its not just "historically Baptist"). From what I can tell, that is Trevecca's thing too. Hillsdale is a bastion of political conservativism (which is why I can never get their enrollment and athletic budget numbers from the Dept of Education - because they don't send them to the government). I'm closely following the potential Bellarmine D1 move. I think that their admin is of the mindset that this will be their "thing". They want to become a better-known entity and going D1 will (hopefully) get their name out there and will (hopefully) lead to more "common" students wanting to attend a "more recognizable" university. Its a bold move - but I can understand and appreciate the reasoning.

Seton Hill wants a conference to fit all their needs athletically. GMAC would be the best fit for them and have already expressed interest to the conference to become full members.
    That is interesting. If the GMAC can somehow swing Seton Hill, Gannon and Mercyhurst, I bet both Ashland and NDC are in.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I don't really know that D3 saves much money. On the Dept. of Education website, the OAC schools' athletic expenses seem pretty similar to the G-MAC schools' expenses - except for the missing scholarship $. We all know that D3s "discount" on the other side of the ledger, so I'm not really sure that there is much net difference if a D2 isn't giving out maximum scholarships in all sports.

I'm sure that some/most G-MAC schools are hurting. Small private schools all over the country are hurting. The G-MAC is certainly not alone, nor is D2. D3s and NAIAs are having issues too. The landscape is changing. Having a lot of sports teams can probably get a school up to 400-500 kids. After that, you have to have things that attracts the "common" student. You have to have a "something" and there aren't many parameters to what that something is. Cedarville's "thing" is sticking to its guns - and remaining an unapologetically faith-based institution (its not just "historically Baptist"). From what I can tell, that is Trevecca's thing too. Hillsdale is a bastion of political conservativism (which is why I can never get their enrollment and athletic budget numbers from the Dept of Education - because they don't send them to the government). I'm closely following the potential Bellarmine D1 move. I think that their admin is of the mindset that this will be their "thing". They want to become a better-known entity and going D1 will (hopefully) get their name out there and will (hopefully) lead to more "common" students wanting to attend a "more recognizable" university. Its a bold move - but I can understand and appreciate the reasoning.
    My ability to "understand and appreciate the reasoning" gets clouded by the laundry list of schools for whom this has NOT worked out. Sure seems like an expensive route to take with the primary, intended gain being more notoriety in the hopes of driving some additional enrollment. Seems even riskier given their proximity (about three miles or so as the crow flies) to a Power 5 school that already owns the mindshare of that media market.

Would never say it won't work, and I firmly believe in the risk/reward principles. BUT, I would openly question whether this is an instance where discretion wouldn't be the better part of valor. That's my view from the cheaps...maybe there is more involved than I would know about...

20. Default Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

What I am hearing from those involved in GMAC meeting:

Seton Hill/UIndy most likely to join GMAC

Gannon, Hurst would consider moving if at least 1 other school PSAC school joined in the move

NDC/Urbana possible (50/50)

No talks AT ALL concerning Ashland

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast