Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    12,022
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    181695

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    So what about the other d2 fans that live closer to Atlanta than Evansville or Sioux Falls and could drive rather than fly. I guess the locations seem to rotate so the drive versus fly argument doesn’t really matter to me as there were probably plenty of Point Loma (San Diego) fans that didn’t care much for the Evansville location this year.
    I think it's important to look at the potential fan demographics. Hosting the title game at the Final Four host city is less about trying to capitalize on Division I fan interest in these games and more about trying to capitalize on the number of coaches who are in the area for the coaches convention. These D2/D3 coaches would almost certainly have interest in going to these games. If not scheduled at the Final Four, the reason the central US is just overall a better spot is because that's where the larger majority of Division II fans are located. The MIAA led Division II conferences in attendance a year ago. The NSIC was third.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I think it's important to look at the potential fan demographics. Hosting the title game at the Final Four host city is less about trying to capitalize on Division I fan interest in these games and more about trying to capitalize on the number of coaches who are in the area for the coaches convention. These D2/D3 coaches would almost certainly have interest in going to these games. If not scheduled at the Final Four, the reason the central US is just overall a better spot is because that's where the larger majority of Division II fans are located. The MIAA led Division II conferences in attendance a year ago. The NSIC was third.
    All reasonable points, but I question how many nsic fans would have traveled to Evansville for the elite 8. Especially when the fans’ favorite team could be one and done with a quick loss at elite 8. Big difference from year prior where elite 8 in Sioux fallls for nsu fans. Much more likely fans willing to travel knowing their team is in the actual championship game.

  3. Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by NWFanatic View Post
    As a fan who’s been to all 12 of NW’s title games I’d much rather drive to Evansville again than fly to Atlanta and deal with the airport/traffic hotel issue etc
    Go ahead and book everything now. It's a safe bet you'll be in the championship again

  4. #24

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    All reasonable points, but I question how many nsic fans would have traveled to Evansville for the elite 8. Especially when the fans’ favorite team could be one and done with a quick loss at elite 8. Big difference from year prior where elite 8 in Sioux fallls for nsu fans. Much more likely fans willing to travel knowing their team is in the actual championship game.
    It depends on the school. A school with minimal fan support like Concordia or Bemidji? Not many. A school like Northern, Augie, or even Winona in their good years? A pretty decent number.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    OK fans here is some input from a fan who was in Atlanta for Drury's national championship. It was an incredible ride. Each school was furnished a number of tickets to the semis and finals of the Div 1 along with rooms in a prime hotel. The D2 schools were each introduced on the floor of the Georgia Dome during the D1 semi-finals and the champions were brought back to be honored at the finals on Monday night. Each team was furnished a suite in the Georgia Dome. During the D1 national championship game Christian Laettner personally visited Drury's suite and extended to them their invitation to play Duke the following season. The D2 players got the full final four experience and were treated basically the same as the big boys. The tickets are free to the D2 game and Phillips Arena (State Farm Arena now) had the upper levels closed off but the lower bowl was packed. Drury had 1500 to 2000 in attendance. Most of the students rode buses to and from the game on the same day, 22hr round trip. Because the game was at the final four we also had Tim Brando and Dan Bonner as the TV announcers on the nationally televised game. Needless to say most of the crowd was not affiliated with either school but nevertheless was very engaged. It was not surprising that their was very good attendance considering the fact that there are about 50,000 people looking for something to do between the semis and finals of the big dance. The hotel rooms and tickets to the final four were comped but were limited in number. However, I had many friends who were able to get flights and rooms in the Atlanta area. The first 2 games of the elite eight were played at Freedom Hall in Louisville which was also a treat considering the historical significance of Freedom Hall. Drury fans would like to thank Bellarmine and Scotty Davenport for hosting the first two games of the elite eight and thereby making it possible for Drury to experience an incredible week. The week between the semis in Louisville and finals in Atlanta was awesome because of the anticipation and build up of going to the final four. We went back to the elite 8 the next year in Evansville and even had we returned to the championship game there is no way that the experience would have been comparable and that is not meant as a knock on Evansville or the Ford Center. I can guarantee that who ever gets the opportunity to go this year will have a magnificent experience.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    parkville, missourah
    Posts
    7,985
    Rep Power
    77877

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    The rooms may be reserved, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be Final Four expensive. I’m sure the airlines will get their pound of flesh on last-minute flights to the FF city as well.

    Neat deal for the student-athletes, neat deal for the fans who have the wherewithal to go, but puts most fans in a tough spot.
    not to mention not even being an afterthought in terms of the host city.
    the only upside is the destination will be more attractive (atl vs evansville/sioux city/etc). that ain't enough squeeze for me to want to put out ff hotel $. hard pass.
    that said flights might actually be cheaper. flying to places like the aforementioned is more exp than major pop centers which is where the ff always is.
    Go Bearcats!
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

  7. #27

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    OK fans here is some input from a fan who was in Atlanta for Drury's national championship. It was an incredible ride. Each school was furnished a number of tickets to the semis and finals of the Div 1 along with rooms in a prime hotel. The D2 schools were each introduced on the floor of the Georgia Dome during the D1 semi-finals and the champions were brought back to be honored at the finals on Monday night. Each team was furnished a suite in the Georgia Dome. During the D1 national championship game Christian Laettner personally visited Drury's suite and extended to them their invitation to play Duke the following season. The D2 players got the full final four experience and were treated basically the same as the big boys. The tickets are free to the D2 game and Phillips Arena (State Farm Arena now) had the upper levels closed off but the lower bowl was packed. Drury had 1500 to 2000 in attendance. Most of the students rode buses to and from the game on the same day, 22hr round trip. Because the game was at the final four we also had Tim Brando and Dan Bonner as the TV announcers on the nationally televised game. Needless to say most of the crowd was not affiliated with either school but nevertheless was very engaged. It was not surprising that their was very good attendance considering the fact that there are about 50,000 people looking for something to do between the semis and finals of the big dance. The hotel rooms and tickets to the final four were comped but were limited in number. However, I had many friends who were able to get flights and rooms in the Atlanta area. The first 2 games of the elite eight were played at Freedom Hall in Louisville which was also a treat considering the historical significance of Freedom Hall. Drury fans would like to thank Bellarmine and Scotty Davenport for hosting the first two games of the elite eight and thereby making it possible for Drury to experience an incredible week. The week between the semis in Louisville and finals in Atlanta was awesome because of the anticipation and build up of going to the final four. We went back to the elite 8 the next year in Evansville and even had we returned to the championship game there is no way that the experience would have been comparable and that is not meant as a knock on Evansville or the Ford Center. I can guarantee that who ever gets the opportunity to go this year will have a magnificent experience.
    Small sample size...but quite convincing.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Small sample size...but quite convincing.
    It's the experience of a lifetime. I promise you, if you've been to any other D2 championship event, this one will blow it out of the water.

    Remember - the D2 game is on Sunday, which is a down day for the DI Final Four, so you've got a ton of basketball people in town with nothing to do. The D2 title game in 2013 had almost 8,000 people in it, and it would've had closer to 10,000 had they not had the top of Phillips Arena closed off. That's the biggest crowd to watch a D2 title game since University of Evansville beat Old Dominion in the title game (played in Evansville) in 1971.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,734
    Rep Power
    236137

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    It will hurt the attendance in Evansville. Many will wait to see if their team makes it to Atlanta rather than making a trip to Evansville for 2 games then go to Atlanta a week later. They should’ve had the entire Elite 8 in Atlanta and play Thurs-Fri-Sun.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    It's the experience of a lifetime. I promise you, if you've been to any other D2 championship event, this one will blow it out of the water.

    Remember - the D2 game is on Sunday, which is a down day for the DI Final Four, so you've got a ton of basketball people in town with nothing to do. The D2 title game in 2013 had almost 8,000 people in it, and it would've had closer to 10,000 had they not had the top of Phillips Arena closed off. That's the biggest crowd to watch a D2 title game since University of Evansville beat Old Dominion in the title game (played in Evansville) in 1971.
    I am convinced it’s the right move. I think the main pushback is the assumption that the cost will be significantly more. I think most people will find it to be a much better overall experience, but they don’t want it to cost twice as much as the old way. Also think many people are just resistant to change in general...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by NWFanatic View Post
    It will hurt the attendance in Evansville. Many will wait to see if their team makes it to Atlanta rather than making a trip to Evansville for 2 games then go to Atlanta a week later. They should’ve had the entire Elite 8 in Atlanta and play Thurs-Fri-Sun.
    Agreed

  12. #32

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    If they do it like 2013, you would have basically a week to plan a trip to Atlanta after the semifinals. Considering hotel and travel will probably already be at a premium because of the Final Four, that seems less than ideal.
    There will be 25,000 D2 fans since it's a destination city like Atlanta. A week is more than enough - Football fans that don't go but complain about attendance.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    It's the experience of a lifetime. I promise you, if you've been to any other D2 championship event, this one will blow it out of the water.

    Remember - the D2 game is on Sunday, which is a down day for the DI Final Four, so you've got a ton of basketball people in town with nothing to do. The D2 title game in 2013 had almost 8,000 people in it, and it would've had closer to 10,000 had they not had the top of Phillips Arena closed off. That's the biggest crowd to watch a D2 title game since University of Evansville beat Old Dominion in the title game (played in Evansville) in 1971.
    I think it would be hard to top the Shepherd/Northwest football game at sporting park, but that could be a matter of preference of football v. basketball.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    parkville, missourah
    Posts
    7,985
    Rep Power
    77877

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    OK fans here is some input from a fan who was in Atlanta for Drury's national championship. It was an incredible ride. Each school was furnished a number of tickets to the semis and finals of the Div 1 along with rooms in a prime hotel. The D2 schools were each introduced on the floor of the Georgia Dome during the D1 semi-finals and the champions were brought back to be honored at the finals on Monday night. Each team was furnished a suite in the Georgia Dome. During the D1 national championship game Christian Laettner personally visited Drury's suite and extended to them their invitation to play Duke the following season. The D2 players got the full final four experience and were treated basically the same as the big boys. The tickets are free to the D2 game and Phillips Arena (State Farm Arena now) had the upper levels closed off but the lower bowl was packed. Drury had 1500 to 2000 in attendance. Most of the students rode buses to and from the game on the same day, 22hr round trip. Because the game was at the final four we also had Tim Brando and Dan Bonner as the TV announcers on the nationally televised game. Needless to say most of the crowd was not affiliated with either school but nevertheless was very engaged. It was not surprising that their was very good attendance considering the fact that there are about 50,000 people looking for something to do between the semis and finals of the big dance. The hotel rooms and tickets to the final four were comped but were limited in number. However, I had many friends who were able to get flights and rooms in the Atlanta area. The first 2 games of the elite eight were played at Freedom Hall in Louisville which was also a treat considering the historical significance of Freedom Hall. Drury fans would like to thank Bellarmine and Scotty Davenport for hosting the first two games of the elite eight and thereby making it possible for Drury to experience an incredible week. The week between the semis in Louisville and finals in Atlanta was awesome because of the anticipation and build up of going to the final four. We went back to the elite 8 the next year in Evansville and even had we returned to the championship game there is no way that the experience would have been comparable and that is not meant as a knock on Evansville or the Ford Center. I can guarantee that who ever gets the opportunity to go this year will have a magnificent experience.
    i didn't read this before replying to gf yday. you have me convinced as well.
    Go Bearcats!
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    parkville, missourah
    Posts
    7,985
    Rep Power
    77877

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think it would be hard to top the Shepherd/Northwest football game at sporting park, but that could be a matter of preference of football v. basketball.
    not for a nwms fan but that's b/c all of our fans had that place rocking. plus the superior sport.
    literally any fan of any other school may have a diff pov & rightly so for them if so.
    Go Bearcats!
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

  16. #36

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by northwest missouri state View Post
    not for a nwms fan but that's b/c all of our fans had that place rocking. plus the superior sport.
    literally any fan of any other school may have a diff pov & rightly so for them if so.
    My thought that day was that in terms of attendance in combination with venue it was the best that we would ever see. I would have thought the same if the attendance were swung in the other direction.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    parkville, missourah
    Posts
    7,985
    Rep Power
    77877

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    My thought that day was that in terms of attendance in combination with venue it was the best that we would ever see. I would have thought the same if the attendance were swung in the other direction.
    sure but when it's a home game it adds even more for the fan base that would make it impossible to top (for them)
    Go Bearcats!
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

  18. #38

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    OK fans here is some input from a fan who was in Atlanta for Drury's national championship. It was an incredible ride. Each school was furnished a number of tickets to the semis and finals of the Div 1 along with rooms in a prime hotel. The D2 schools were each introduced on the floor of the Georgia Dome during the D1 semi-finals and the champions were brought back to be honored at the finals on Monday night. Each team was furnished a suite in the Georgia Dome. During the D1 national championship game Christian Laettner personally visited Drury's suite and extended to them their invitation to play Duke the following season. The D2 players got the full final four experience and were treated basically the same as the big boys. The tickets are free to the D2 game and Phillips Arena (State Farm Arena now) had the upper levels closed off but the lower bowl was packed. Drury had 1500 to 2000 in attendance. Most of the students rode buses to and from the game on the same day, 22hr round trip. Because the game was at the final four we also had Tim Brando and Dan Bonner as the TV announcers on the nationally televised game. Needless to say most of the crowd was not affiliated with either school but nevertheless was very engaged. It was not surprising that their was very good attendance considering the fact that there are about 50,000 people looking for something to do between the semis and finals of the big dance. The hotel rooms and tickets to the final four were comped but were limited in number. However, I had many friends who were able to get flights and rooms in the Atlanta area. The first 2 games of the elite eight were played at Freedom Hall in Louisville which was also a treat considering the historical significance of Freedom Hall. Drury fans would like to thank Bellarmine and Scotty Davenport for hosting the first two games of the elite eight and thereby making it possible for Drury to experience an incredible week. The week between the semis in Louisville and finals in Atlanta was awesome because of the anticipation and build up of going to the final four. We went back to the elite 8 the next year in Evansville and even had we returned to the championship game there is no way that the experience would have been comparable and that is not meant as a knock on Evansville or the Ford Center. I can guarantee that who ever gets the opportunity to go this year will have a magnificent experience.
    When you say "the school was furnished with...tickets, hotel room blocks," etc. and that "tickets and hotel rooms were comped" are you talking about specific to the team or to the fans as well? To me, if it's just enough to cover the teams then that doesn't change the fan experience that is the cause for concern. If they have room blocks for the D2 fans travelling then that would be a difference maker. Additionally, I don't believe every D2 fan travelling will get a D1 Final 4 ticket but if the NCAA only provides enough to cover the teams then that won't impact the fans. If each team gets an allotment of 50-100 (or whatever the number is) and can distribute among the team, fans, donors, etc. then that changes things as well.

    Could you provide more context around these areas? Regardless, it sounds like a phenomenal opportunity for the teams but I think the concern for most on here is their ability to attend. If the NCAA has processes in place to alleviate that then that would change the perspective for many I would assume.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Quote Originally Posted by northwest missouri state View Post
    not for a nwms fan but that's b/c all of our fans had that place rocking. plus the superior sport.
    literally any fan of any other school may have a diff pov & rightly so for them if so.
    I might point out, also, that my view is a little biased because I'm close enough to the program that I know what the players got to experience - not just the fans. The players and coaches got to go to all the same NCAA festivities that weekend that the DI programs went to and were treated just like the players from Michigan and Louisville. They got a suite at the Georgia Dome. Premium hotel. NBA arena. The team bus had a police escort that parted the seas for it everywhere it went the whole weekend - which, in downtown Atlanta on a Final Four weekend, makes you the center of attention everywhere you go - they literally had traffic pulling over to the side to let them pass and the police were stopping traffic at intersections with green lights so the bus could run the red. It was as big time as it gets.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,734
    Rep Power
    236137

    Default Re: Next Year's DII and DIII championship games will be at Div I Final Four

    Qtr finals 3/26/20 & semis 3/28/20 in Evansville.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •