Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: UST

Contribute to D2

Default Re: UST

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    It is an MIAC school. The elitist attitude is already there.
    Not living in Minnesota I do not quite understand the MIAC attitude. Apparently the Twin Cities media pays little attention to the NSIC, despite it's D2 status as a great conference with many National Championships. I don't get it??

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy21 View Post
    And to think I almost went to Gustavus to play baseball...then reality of the money I'd owe set in and I hung up the cleats
    To me, I wanted to get my degree and not have to go into debt. I played football at Ridgewater and got my first two years in without owing a penny to anyone. Two years later I graduated from MSU and still didn't owe a penny. Glad that I don't face that crushing debt that so many have today.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Not living in Minnesota I do not quite understand the MIAC attitude. Apparently the Twin Cities media pays little attention to the NSIC, despite it's D2 status as a great conference with many National Championships. I don't get it??
    Twin Cities media is pretty much pro and the Gophers. Pat Reusse grew up in Fulda and Mike Max in Gaylord so you get some stuff out of those two.

In my third year of teaching I (briefly) dated a 2nd grade teacher who was my age. She was bragging about how at Concordia (Moorhead) that you were with a "better level of people" than at MSU and that her diploma meant more than mine. I pointed out my car which was parked next to her tin can. I said "That car is brand new- and it is paid for." She complained that she drove an old beater because of paying for her student loans. I told her that her teaching salary and mine were identical so I must have gotten a better deal!

Most of the people who go to a MIAC school aren't like that. But plenty of them are. Carleton and Macalester are the worst. You can almost feel it when you walk around on campus. When you either won't say "hello" or do so reluctantly I can't always write it off to shyness.........

UST vs AU. enrollment UST 9878, AU 2080. endowment UST 429M. AU 61M. Augie is a small and not so rich private school, who has done well in athletics. UST has all the advantages. Students, money and location. The Tommies could easily slide to the D1 level. UST could easily dominate the NSIC in a short time period and would quickly develop an elitist attitude over NSIC.
    I hope you didn't take my comments as a rip on Augie, because it's a great school with excellent athletics. I think we're in agreement with UST and their capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by StateU View Post
    I hope you didn't take my comments as a rip on Augie, because it's a great school with excellent athletics. I think we're in agreement with UST and their capabilities.
    Absolutely not. Never thought you were denigrating Augustana. My feeling are that AU belongs in D2 and the numbers support that.

If UST wanted to eventually go D1 they would be a good fit for the Big East conference, all but Butler U are catholic schools, they could play in the non scholarship Pioneer league for football like Butler. Do not know were they could play ice hockey. Their numbers fit easily into the Big East. Creighton out of Omaha competes well in the league with half of UST enrollment.

Twin Cities media is pretty much pro and the Gophers. Pat Reusse grew up in Fulda and Mike Max in Gaylord so you get some stuff out of those two.

In my third year of teaching I (briefly) dated a 2nd grade teacher who was my age. She was bragging about how at Concordia (Moorhead) that you were with a "better level of people" than at MSU and that her diploma meant more than mine. I pointed out my car which was parked next to her tin can. I said "That car is brand new- and it is paid for." She complained that she drove an old beater because of paying for her student loans. I told her that her teaching salary and mine were identical so I must have gotten a better deal!

Most of the people who go to a MIAC school aren't like that. But plenty of them are. Carleton and Macalester are the worst. You can almost feel it when you walk around on campus. When you either won't say "hello" or do so reluctantly I can't always write it off to shyness.........
    My cousin is like that, she graduated from St. Olaf, she's always been holier than thou and the most important person in every room she's ever been in

Yet another article- talks more about joining the WIAA, especially for hockey.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2019...-go-from-here/

Link doesn’t work on my end..

Some interesting points were made in the article. Essentially, times and attitudes change over the decades, and conference affiliations are very seldom permanent. Financial aspects and priorities at individual institutions also influence this. It would seem that the Wisconsin conference may be the best option for UST at this point, if that can be arranged and also dealing with the hockey situation to their satisfaction,

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    If you go to the top of the page and click on sports, it will show the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
    Try this one. Otherwise, yes, if you go to sports it should work. Let me know if it doesn't.

Sounds like a date without a "happy ending"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmoney8 View Post
    Sounds like a date without a "happy ending"
    There are more stories but in the interest in keeping on the track I've limited the amount of information.

There are more stories but in the interest in keeping on the track I've limited the amount of information.
    We have had a number of people in our company who went to the hotshot private schools. They all had one thing in common. I signed all their paychecks.

Cannot speak for all private colleges, but for my wife and daughters who graduated from high school with high honors they recieved enough scholarships from Augustana to bring total costs within 15% of public universities

Try this one. Otherwise, yes, if you go to sports it should work. Let me know if it doesn't.

Link worked this time, thanks! My gut feeling is that they join the WIAC.

To me, I wanted to get my degree and not have to go into debt. I played football at Ridgewater and got my first two years in without owing a penny to anyone. Two years later I graduated from MSU and still didn't owe a penny. Glad that I don't face that crushing debt that so many have today.
    I know a couple of people that went to MIAC schools to become teachers. Even went to other MIAC schools for grad school. I’m 40 and have $0 in student loan debt (and never had a penny of debt) having gone to MSU. I am more than happy with my education, salary, job and lack of debt.

But I also know they are better than me ;)

Cannot speak for all private colleges, but for my wife and daughters who graduated from high school with high honors they recieved enough scholarships from Augustana to bring total costs within 15% of public universities
    Any idea what the cost would have been at those public universities with similar scholarships?

For those that are on LinkedIn, check it out this week. There is a great discussion about even getting a college degree anymore. The cost is astronomical and the returns are less than stellar considering all the debt. I’m in the camp that promotes experience and knowledge over a piece of paper. But that’s probably another debate.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast