Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: GVSU spring game

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    81
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    312

    Default GVSU spring game

    I couldn't make the game. Does anyone who attended have any observations or comments to share?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Power
    58705

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by tip79 View Post
    I couldn't make the game. Does anyone who attended have any observations or comments to share?
    Hasn't been a "game" in forever. Just a practice with some live plays from scrimmage. Pretty sure you can watch the replay on ESPN3...

  3. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    I went to. Glorified practice. Saw some good stuff. As usual Defense ahead of Offense at this point. A lot of work on the run game.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,058
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    I went to. Glorified practice. Saw some good stuff. As usual Defense ahead of Offense at this point. A lot of work on the run game.
    I have a feeling we might end up setting a school record for rushing yards as a team this year.

  5. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Why do you think that?

  6. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    I stopped going when they scrapped the traditional offense vs defense spring game set up. I don’t know how people sit through just an open practice. I tried last year... got my free food and was so bored I left as soon as I was done eating

  7. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Most schools do the spring game this way now. Majority of the people that attend are parents of the players. But still it was reported that 2000 people attended GV’s spring game. More then a lot of Some D2 regular season games

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,058
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    Why do you think that?
    All the running backs are returning, and Kotopka was not very good last year in his time when Bart was hurt. I have no information, but it just feels like they're gonna run the ball a *lot*.

  9. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    All the running backs are returning, and Kotopka was not very good last year in his time when Bart was hurt. I have no information, but it just feels like they're gonna run the ball a *lot*.
    No the pass will definitely still be there. Yes Kotopka May run more himself and yes there will be 3 very good running backs coming back. But the Ball will still be flying in the air at Lubber stadium. But saying that I do believe the weekly game plan will definitely be whatever it takes to win that week. Also the defense will have a lot to be said about what happens this year. A very good mix of veterans and newcomers on the D. They could be very stingy this season. May not need to score as many points.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Martinez, CA
    Posts
    146
    Rep Power
    2478

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Our stable of running backs gives us a unique opportunity to build for the future, but still be competitive. I'm totally comfortable letting one of the young QBs take the reins, or flip flop them to figure out who's our future. I'm saying all that knowing we have an unbelievably unimaginative coaching staff, but that's the beauty of spring! I'm not TOTALLY jaded yet! Go Lakers!

  11. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by higgs21 View Post
    Our stable of running backs gives us a unique opportunity to build for the future, but still be competitive. I'm totally comfortable letting one of the young QBs take the reins, or flip flop them to figure out who's our future. I'm saying all that knowing we have an unbelievably unimaginative coaching staff, but that's the beauty of spring! I'm not TOTALLY jaded yet! Go Lakers!
    I would be surprised to see one of the young QB’s starting this year. A lot would have to go wrong I think. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. And everyone on here last year wanted Kotopako playing anyways.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Posts
    2,783
    Rep Power
    121723

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    All the running backs are returning, and Kotopka was not very good last year in his time when Bart was hurt. I have no information, but it just feels like they're gonna run the ball a *lot*.
    Did you watch the DU game where Cole came in and won the game? Did you watch the whole SVSU game where Cole was more than solid against a decent team? To say Cole was not good last year is just plain wrong IMHO.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,058
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by champgymusa View Post
    Did you watch the DU game where Cole came in and won the game? Did you watch the whole SVSU game where Cole was more than solid against a decent team? To say Cole was not good last year is just plain wrong IMHO.
    Under 50 percent completion, with a 3/2 TD/INT ratio on the season. I'm sure he'll be better after an entire offseason working with the starters, but he was not good last year in any sense. He won the game against DU because of a blown coverage. He was 3/9 in that game. He was 15/27 for 200 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT against SV. I don't know how you can look at the level of QB's we've had at GV and say that he was good. Again, I'M SURE HE'LL BE BETTER NOW. But LAST YEAR, he was not good.

  14. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Under 50 percent completion, with a 3/2 TD/INT ratio on the season. I'm sure he'll be better after an entire offseason working with the starters, but he was not good last year in any sense. He won the game against DU because of a blown coverage. He was 3/9 in that game. He was 15/27 for 200 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT against SV. I don't know how you can look at the level of QB's we've had at GV and say that he was good. Again, I'M SURE HE'LL BE BETTER NOW. But LAST YEAR, he was not good.
    I would say I would take COLE over everyone in the conference except the Ferris QB. Plus he will be able to pick up 1-2 yards with his feet if needed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holland, MI
    Posts
    2,783
    Rep Power
    121723

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Under 50 percent completion, with a 3/2 TD/INT ratio on the season. I'm sure he'll be better after an entire offseason working with the starters, but he was not good last year in any sense. He won the game against DU because of a blown coverage. He was 3/9 in that game. He was 15/27 for 200 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT against SV. I don't know how you can look at the level of QB's we've had at GV and say that he was good. Again, I'M SURE HE'LL BE BETTER NOW. But LAST YEAR, he was not good.
    Disagree...LOL.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16,058
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    I would say I would take COLE over everyone in the conference except the Ferris QB. Plus he will be able to pick up 1-2 yards with his feet if needed.
    So would I. But I still think our running game has so much talent in it that it would be silly to not lean heavily on it.

  17. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by kleshreen View Post
    so would i. But i still think our running game has so much talent in it that it would be silly to not lean heavily on it.
    just win baby!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Power
    58705

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    Under 50 percent completion, with a 3/2 TD/INT ratio on the season. I'm sure he'll be better after an entire offseason working with the starters, but he was not good last year in any sense. He won the game against DU because of a blown coverage. He was 3/9 in that game. He was 15/27 for 200 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT against SV. I don't know how you can look at the level of QB's we've had at GV and say that he was good. Again, I'M SURE HE'LL BE BETTER NOW. But LAST YEAR, he was not good.
    Way more to the story than what the stats say, Dude. Not saying Cole was a worldbeater, but anyone who was at the SV game will tell you that Cole actually played quite a bit better than the stats would indicate. The DU game (IMO) is an outlier...for a whole host of reasons.

    Will we be run "heavier"? Quite possibly. Guess we'll find out. For me, the premise that it is in large part to our being deficient at QB isn't necessarily true.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    33,817
    Rep Power
    375786

    Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by KleShreen View Post
    So would I. But I still think our running game has so much talent in it that it would be silly to not lean heavily on it.
    Agreed, rotate backs, put your head in the dirt, drive the other team back and tell em to expect to see more of that. Uptempo a little to keep them from rotating Defensive players as much. Pass just enough to keep them honest or to take advantage of when they're not. Wear out other teams, break their wills, hang 35+ or so on them by the 3rd quarter and send out the second string guys to get some game reps in to keep them hungry.

  20. Default Re: GVSU spring game

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Agreed, rotate backs, put your head in the dirt, drive the other team back and tell em to expect to see more of that. Uptempo a little to keep them from rotating Defensive players as much. Pass just enough to keep them honest or to take advantage of when they're not. Wear out other teams, break their wills, hang 35+ or so on them by the 3rd quarter and send out the second string guys to get some game reps in to keep them hungry.
    I like it for sure. But I think we lost 3 O lineman from last year. So there will definitely be a learning curve. But there is so much talent.it won’t take long.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •