Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Tiger!

Default OT: Tiger!

What do y'all think? Amazing sports moment. The guy was all but lost and given up for dead. Tremendous performance today to claim his fifth green jacket.

This even rivals the time in April 1997 when the entire world stopped to take a look at what the then 21-year old phenom was doing at Augusta National.

Great sports moments here!

-

Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    What do y'all think? Amazing sports moment. The guy was all but lost and given up for dead. Tremendous performance today to claim his fifth green jacket.

This even rivals the time in April 1997 when the entire world stopped to take a look at what the then 21-year old phenom was doing at Augusta National.

-
    There was already a Tiger thread. Why duplicate it?

He's a scum bag.

4. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloChip View Post
    There was already a Tiger thread. Why duplicate it?
    Where? On this forum? I did not see it.

-

5. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    He's a scum bag.
    Did you hear what he did to Terry Bradshaw in 1979?

6. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

I was actually gonna try and catch the end of this figuring it would wrap around 6 or 7 tonight, but then I got an alert on my phone around 3:30 that he had won. Not a fan of his on a personal level, but considering just the physical issues he’s had to come back from it is a remarkable story.

7. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Did you hear what he did to Terry Bradshaw in 1979?
    I assume that you are referencing Tiger beating out Terry for the cut at Oakmont. I'm not a golf historian but I wouldn't think it was 1979. Tiger was like three then.

-

8. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

I was actually gonna try and catch the end of this figuring it would wrap around 6 or 7 tonight, but then I got an alert on my phone around 3:30 that he had won. Not a fan of his on a personal level, but considering just the physical issues he’s had to come back from it is a remarkable story.
    That's pretty much how I feel as well. Certainly he did behave as a total and complete jerk years ago. But he did get humbled and had no choice but to learn some humility along the way. He did deal with a lot of things (many of which were of his own doing, but some not). He was taken for lost and gone as a professional golfer for all intents and purposes over the past decade or so. But I had to give him some admiration today as he came back from it all. It was historic.

Apparently the powers that be at Augusta National moved things up to try and get a jump on some bad weather that was moving in. I kind of liked the early time much better.

-

-
    He’s the most mentally focused athlete I’ve ever seen. He has a remarkable ability to get his mind and body in sync, and that’s not even getting into the physical challenges he has overcome. When he tied the lead you could see the others crumble around him. It’s remarkable, and he did it to the best field in golf on the biggest stage. As Nick Faldo said, “Tiger has hunted his opponents down, and now he’s going for the kill.”

Another good point brought up during the broadcast was how a lot of these young players built themselves in Tiger’s image. They wanted to be like him and relished the thought of playing with him on Sunday at a major. Now they know what it’s like. Be careful what you wish for.

It was also amazing to hear players admit in their interviews that they felt Tiger’s presence, and that it affected them. You can’t get an average Joe to admit he might be intimidated let alone a world class athlete. I recognize that some may not like Tiger because of the mess-ups in his personal life, but as a golfer you can’t deny his greatness. Someday we’ll all recognize how lucky we are to have been around to watch him in his prime(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

That's pretty much how I feel as well. Certainly he did behave as a total and complete jerk years ago. But he did get humbled and had no choice but to learn some humility along the way. He did deal with a lot of things (many of which were of his own doing, but some not). He was taken for lost and gone as a professional golfer for all intents and purposes over the past decade or so. But I had to give him some admiration today as he came back from it all. It was historic.

Apparently the powers that be at Augusta National moved things up to try and get a jump on some bad weather that was moving in. I kind of liked the early time much better.

-
    I figured they moved it earlier so everyone could be home in time for Game of Thrones.

I figured they moved it earlier so everyone could be home in time for Game of Thrones.
    Screw the nasty weather ahead they had to prepare because Winter was coming in the form of Game of Thrones lol. I agree a great feat by Tiger especially considering the physical setbacks he's faced the last 7-8 years and him being wrote off pretty much by most as being done and damaged goods.

YUCK!

13. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    YUCK!
    My man, you are missing out. It’s one of the best shows ever, and I never was and still am not really a fan of the fantasy genre.

My man, you are missing out. It’s one of the best shows ever, and I never was and still am not really a fan of the fantasy genre.
    Same.

I've moved on past Tiger's personal indiscretions and it honestly surprises me that there are so many people still hung up on them. Tiger was basically following the Mickey Mantle school of self-indulgence but somehow came out with a much less rosy treatment.

Tiger's greatest advantages during his initial run were that a) he was in incredible shape to accommodate his over swing and muscling shots, and b) his mental focus was almost impeccable. He couldn't beat any of us when his health and focus/confidence weren't there. Now they're both back and I'm excited to see what happens.

16. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I've moved on past Tiger's personal indiscretions and it honestly surprises me that there are so many people still hung up on them. Tiger was basically following the Mickey Mantle school of self-indulgence but somehow came out with a much less rosy treatment.

Tiger's greatest advantages during his initial run were that a) he was in incredible shape to accommodate his over swing and muscling shots, and b) his mental focus was almost impeccable. He couldn't beat any of us when his health and focus/confidence weren't there. Now they're both back and I'm excited to see what happens.
    I didn’t care for him before all of the infidelity stuff came out. He just became very smug and arrogant. And he had that caddy who thought he was a big star too and would bully people.

But he did spark my interest in watching golf, something I never did before he came along. He was like the great heels in wrestling. I rooted against him but things were much more interesting when he was around.

Hey ... some people admire a guy having 15-20 super-model-level girlfriends while married. Not many people, grant you, but there are some.

Being blitzed out of his mind on prescription drugs, driving and falling asleep behind the wheel ... hopefully was a one-time thing.

At the true peak of his fame, however, it's hard to say what it would do to someone. I'd assume they really do feel invincible. He truly was one of the biggest stars in the world -- athletes, actors, ... anybody.

I saw he has a new girlfriend now. He'd be interesting for your daughter to bring home.

I have never understood the whole addiction to watching golf and certainly never understood the adulation people had for Tiger Woods. I guess people just wanted to be able to say that they watched Woods on his way to greatness. And I certainly don't understand the breathlessness that people have had following his comeback the last few years. If I had a buck for everyone who told me with deep, heart felt earnesty that "Tiger's back" after he finished in the top 10 of some tournament over the last five years only to have him apparently crash and burn the next week, I'd have a pretty good stack of folding money!

I'm happy Woods won because I'm not going to have to hear my friends gush to the point of near orgasm every time Woods is entered in a tourney that's on TV. Wait...strike that...I fear that Woods winning will have the opposite effect and my friends will be in full orgasm mode every time he graces the TV. Where's my frikin raincoat!!!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 04-15-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Hey ... some people admire a guy having 15-20 super-model-level girlfriends while married. Not many people, grant you, but there are some.

Being blitzed out of his mind on prescription drugs, driving and falling asleep behind the wheel ... hopefully was a one-time thing.

At the true peak of his fame, however, it's hard to say what it would do to someone. I'd assume they really do feel invincible. He truly was one of the biggest stars in the world -- athletes, actors, ... anybody.

I saw he has a new girlfriend now. He'd be interesting for your daughter to bring home.
    Interesting from a "honey where's my gun?" stand point!!!

As for being passed out "drunk" on meds being his "first time," my experience is that the time they get caught is not the first time they have been like that. More likely to say it was the first time he had been blitzed out of his mind on prescription drugs, driving and falling asleep behind the wheel and got CAUGHT!!

These star athletes have so many publicity agents, image managers and fixers that you never really know if the public persona is actually what the person is like...that is, until it all comes crashing down and we get a glimps of what the star is truly like. Of course, in true fan fashon, we quickly forget the unnerving glimps of our star's real nature and instead opt to believe the NEW image that his new publicity agents quickly erect to prove that he has "learned from my mistakes" is "sorry for any pain I caused" and just "wants the chance to prove the type of man I am" (read...love me again and buy the products I endorse so I can make a whole pile of money again!!).
    Last edited by boatcapt; 04-15-2019 at 03:38 PM.

20. Default Re: OT: Tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    I have never understood the whole addiction to watching golf and certainly never understood the adulation people had for Tiger Woods. I guess people just wanted to be able to say that they watched Woods on his way to greatness. And I certainly don't understand the breathlessness that people have had following his comeback the last few years. If I had a buck for everyone who told me with deep, heart felt earnesty that "Tiger's back" after he finished in the top 10 of some tournament over the last five years only to have him apparently crash and burn the next week, I'd have a pretty good stack of folding money!

I'm happy Woods won because I'm not going to have to hear my friends gush to the point of near orgasm every time Woods is entered in a tourney that's on TV. Wait...strike that...I fear that Woods winning will have the opposite effect and my friends will be in full orgasm mode every time he graces the TV. Where's my frikin raincoat!!!!
    I was a senior in high school when Tiger won the ‘97 Masters. It was hard to be an 18 year old sports fan and not get totally taken in by what he was doing. He made golf cool. And in those early days he was very personable, or at least he gave that appearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast