Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UVA-Wise; Limestone; Who’s Next?

Default Re: UVA-Wise; Limestone; Who’s Next?

Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Cumberlands was a rival of Lincoln Memorial and Carson-Newman during their NAIA days. Nice campus and athletic facilities having passed them on I-75 several times recently. They would be a great fit as a SAC member. Geography works since it's less than hour past LMU and just an hour up 75 from Knoxville. Not sure that they would split from their Kentucky Baptist sister schools Georgetown and Campbellsville.
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...s-300th-member

And this one here stating that they are being denied access.

I heard they don't have consideration of moving after this fiasco, but that was years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...s-300th-member

And this one here stating that they are being denied access.

I heard they don't have consideration of moving after this fiasco, but that was years ago...
    Different school. Cumberland (TN) was denied. Cumberlands (KY) never applied.

Edit: That being said, Cumberland being denied and Georgetown being twice denied probably stymied the desire of other TN/KY NAIAs to give it a try (which is why Trevecca is stuck on an island by itself - as they transitioned before the other NAIAs were rejected).
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 04-18-2019 at 07:21 AM.

I agree that they (especially Georgetown) came out of that with egg on their face. That was five years ago though. If there is a good enough offer to get a school (or more) to apply to NCAA, it could create a domino effect that could help both the GMAC, SAC, CC and maybe GSC and MEC at the expense of the MSC/AAC. Not predicting it, but it would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cneagle99 View Post
    I agree that they (especially Georgetown) came out of that with egg on their face. That was five years ago though. If there is a good enough offer to get a school (or more) to apply to NCAA, it could create a domino effect that could help both the GMAC, SAC, CC and maybe GSC and MEC at the expense of the MSC/AAC. Not predicting it, but it would be interesting.
    Agree. Some of us G-MAC folks thought the MSC schools were ready to domino a few years ago. We kind of thought Georgetown was just the first of many.

In between the GLVC/G-MAC/MEC and the GSC/SAC/CC there is kind of a D2 no-mans-land.

KY is one of the NAIA's last strongholds. Its one of the few states where schools that are similar to schools in your conference and mine are choosing to stay NAIA. (IN is a similar stronghold). KY only has three D2s, and two of the three D2s are in Indiana border-towns. The other is an HBCU that is in the SIAC.

TN appears like a solid D2 state if you see a list on paper - because they have 10 schools. However, when you look at a map, you realize that 5 of the 10 are on the far eastern side of the state and 4 of the 10 are on the far western side. Its a 7+ hour drive from one grouping to the other. Trevecca sits right in the middle of the gap.

Honestly, you could make a nice D2 conference out of the D2-like schools that are in both states.

I do think they will eventually domino, but it might not be soon.

5. Default Re: UVA-Wise; Limestone; Who’s Next?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Different school. Cumberland (TN) was denied. Cumberlands (KY) never applied.

Edit: That being said, Cumberland being denied and Georgetown being twice denied probably stymied the desire of other TN/KY NAIAs to give it a try (which is why Trevecca is stuck on an island by itself - as they transitioned before the other NAIAs were rejected).
    Lee and Union (TN) also came from the NAIA around the same time, but none since.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Agree. Some of us G-MAC folks thought the MSC schools were ready to domino a few years ago. We kind of thought Georgetown was just the first of many.

In between the GLVC/G-MAC/MEC and the GSC/SAC/CC there is kind of a D2 no-mans-land.

KY is one of the NAIA's last strongholds. Its one of the few states where schools that are similar to schools in your conference and mine are choosing to stay NAIA. (IN is a similar stronghold). KY only has three D2s, and two of the three D2s are in Indiana border-towns. The other is an HBCU that is in the SIAC.

TN appears like a solid D2 state if you see a list on paper - because they have 10 schools. However, when you look at a map, you realize that 5 of the 10 are on the far eastern side of the state and 4 of the 10 are on the far western side. Its a 7+ hour drive from one grouping to the other. Trevecca sits right in the middle of the gap.

Honestly, you could make a nice D2 conference out of the D2-like schools that are in both states.

I do think they will eventually domino, but it might not be soon.
    When you factor in the two Tennessee members of the SIAC (Lemoyne-Owen and Lane), you have, from west to east:

Christian Brothers (GAC), Memphis
    Lemoyne-Owen (SIAC), Memphis
    Union (GAC), Jackson
    Lane (SIAC), Jackson
    Trevecca Nazarene (GMAC), Nashville
    Lee (GAC), Cleveland
    Lincoln Memorial (SAC), Harrogate
    Carson-Newman (SAC), Jefferson City
    Tusculum (SAC), Greeneville
    King (Conference Carolinas), Bristol

The only Kentucky school of the three D2 schools in that state which would be a natural fit for a Tennessee-based conference would be Kentucky Wesleyan in Owensboro. Kentucky State in Frankfort is certainly entrenched in the SIAC, despite rather long road trips (but, being a part of an HBCU seems to be worth it for them), and Bellarmine (Louisville) may be the eastern-most member of the GLVC (Indianapolis might be close, but don't quote me on it), but they seem content to be among the top dogs in their league.

If you wanted to take the eight non-HBCU D2 schools from Tennessee and add Kentucky Wesleyan and Virginia-Wise (who is about to join the SAC; they're northwest of Bristol), you might have a viable 10 team league for basketball, soccer, baseball, etc. It wouldn't shock me if that becomes a viable possibility, depending on how CBU, Lee and Union feel about remaining in the GSC (I'd suspect those road trips to Valdosta and Pensacola aren't exactly cake-walks).
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

I was actually adding in the KY/TN D2-like NAIA schools too - giving even more #s.

Bellarmine is talking about going D1.

All of the Tennessee schools used to be in the same conference back in the day. The conference stretched from King to Christian Brothers. Travel was a bear. It dissolved as schools started to go to the NCAA.

The schools in the GMAC, SAC, CC and MEC are all very similar to the schools of the Mid-South and Appalachian conferences. I'm sure, if they wanted to come to the NCAA a school could find a conference home-and if enough moved there are enough schools in the area to spin off another conference. I'm sure Trevecca would jump at that chance.

Happy Easter everyone!

Actually, based on present day standards, North Carolina has enough D2 type D3 schools to combine with the SAC to have a NC Conference.

I believe that Methodist University would be a very good fit for the SAC. They have an enrollment of around 2,300, and would raise the overall academic level of the conference. Even though they are Division 3 school, with the SAC presently not having any minimum requirements for scholarship support of athletics, Methodist University could easily transition over to the SAC without any additional financial cost.

Now, if they came on board, would they have a chance to win the NCAA D2 Football Championship? Probably not, but I'm beginning to believe that setting that type of goal for some programs (with their present standards) is also nothing more than a pipe dream.

Took a look at what you are talking about.

If you are looking at just location, you can come up with a pretty nice compact conference

If looking for 12 members:

SAC (5):
    Carson-Newman
    Lincoln Memorial
    Mars Hill
    Tusculum
    Virginia-Wise

Conference Carolinas (2):
    King
    Lees-McRae

Mid South (2):
    Cumberlands
    Pikeville

Appalachian (3):
    Milligan
    Montreat
    Union

12 schools/7 football--farthest drive: Montreat to Cumberlands 198 miles

If you wanted a larger conference, there are the following choices:

Appalachian (2):
    Tennessee Wesleyan
    Bluefield

Farthest Drive Tennessee Wesleyan to Pikeville 255 miles

If willing to do D3 for football (2):

Maryville
    Emory & Henry

Farthest drive would still be Montreat/Cumberlands or Bluefield/Pikeville

16 schools, 10 for football--all within no more than just a hair over 250 miles of each other.
    ------------------

Not that it would ever happen, but interesting to think about. Don't see the SAC schools leaving to form a new conference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12