Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

  1. #1

    Default NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Northwest sits in great shape returning 4 out of 5 starters next season, with only one of those being a senior. With two players graduating, Drew Blair transferring before the start of last season, and now Xavier Rhodes deciding to transfer out, Northwest would seem to have 4 open roster spots to fill. It's not normally something the Bearcats do, but worked out better than anyone could've expected with Joey coming in. Will Northwest again look to gain an experienced player from the transfer pool?

    6'5" guard Caleb Bennett from D1 Lehigh is from the area, was a high school teammate of Diego Benard, and has been rumored as a possibility. Coming off an ACL, he may not be ready for next season, but would definitely seem to fill a need.

    Only current signed recruit:
    6'7" Wes Dreamer from Lincoln East fits the mold of the current Bearcat roster. Long, lean, and can shoot it from deep.
    https://bearcatsports.com/news/2018/...px?path=mbball
    https://www.hudl.com/profile/6849129/Wes-Dreamer

    Any other news or rumors out there?

  2. #2

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Just looking around and on Verbal commits it looks like NW also has an offer out to another 6'7" kid, Spencer Jones from Bishop Miege in Kansas. Averaged 17 points and nearly 8 rebounds last season.

    https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/spencer-jones-ks
    http://www.hudl.com/profile/10609906/Spencer-Jones

  3. #3

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Luke Waters also redshirted and is in that 6'7 range. Haven't heard much about him from practices but in warm-ups he seemed to move well for his size and had a decent looking shot. Who knows how that will apply to games...

  4. #4

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Luke Waters also redshirted and is in that 6'7 range. Haven't heard much about him from practices but in warm-ups he seemed to move well for his size and had a decent looking shot. Who knows how that will apply to games...
    Yes, I'm definitely interested to see what he's all about. I didn't think he looked all that impressive (what can you really tell from warm-ups though), but his high school career was! All time leading scorer at Olathe Northwest, ahead of guys like Shavon Shields (Nebraska) and Willie Cauley-Stein (Kentucky, Sacramento Kings), so he must have some ability to put the ball in the basket. I do know that he is good at pulling arrows from his quiver and shooting them into the crowd when a teammate makes a 3 pointer. ;)

  5. #5

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    A new verbal commit for the Bearcats... 6'5" SG/SF Christian Stanislav from Glenwood, Iowa.
    https://www.verbalcommits.com/player...tian-stanislav
    https://www.hudl.com/profile/6769217...tian-Stanislav

  6. #6

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020


  7. #7

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Nice... Thank you! The kid looks like he has some serious range (good grief!) and a quick release.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y_nJZtDlo
    Last edited by Alfred33; 04-18-2019 at 06:21 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred33 View Post
    Nice... Thank you! The kid looks like he has some serious range (good grief!) and a quick release.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y_nJZtDlo
    He's going to need a quick release with such a low release point in his shot.

  9. #9

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    He's going to need a quick release with such a low release point in his shot.
    Yeah, that is definitely something to keep an eye on.

  10. #10

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    Luke Waters also redshirted and is in that 6'7 range. Haven't heard much about him from practices but in warm-ups he seemed to move well for his size and had a decent looking shot. Who knows how that will apply to games...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred33 View Post
    Yes, I'm definitely interested to see what he's all about. I didn't think he looked all that impressive (what can you really tell from warm-ups though), but his high school career was! All time leading scorer at Olathe Northwest, ahead of guys like Shavon Shields (Nebraska) and Willie Cauley-Stein (Kentucky, Sacramento Kings), so he must have some ability to put the ball in the basket. I do know that he is good at pulling arrows from his quiver and shooting them into the crowd when a teammate makes a 3 pointer. ;)
    I saw him play some in HS. Good player. Good basketball IQ. Could play and shoot inside/outside. Good FT shooter in HS. The player his game is most similar to would be Hawkins. Luke probably has more handle but a tad shorter. But not saying in any way he has that ceiling. He is listed as a guard which is interesting. Considering him even a wing in HS would've been a stretch imo. His SR year, ONW played a lot like NW did this year with the 5 starters getting most of the minutes and only a sub or 2 coming off the bench in most games. All were SRs. ONW was methodic running mostly entirely set plays and didn't allow for much creativity whereas NW has more freedom of movement.

  11. #11

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred33 View Post
    Nice... Thank you! The kid looks like he has some serious range (good grief!) and a quick release.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y_nJZtDlo
    I thought kids grew out of shooting it from their chest in HS?? Looks like he needs to get much stronger and much quicker. But he can shoot.

  12. #12

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I thought kids grew out of shooting it from their chest in HS?? Looks like he needs to get much stronger and much quicker. But he can shoot.
    I would imagine he'll be a strong candidate for a redshirt year with everything the Bearcats have coming back. He can definitely score it from NBA deep... it's funny how not that long ago, those would have been considered bad shots. I suppose if he shot a low percentage they still would be, but he obviously had the green light!

  13. #13

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Looks like he can stretch the floor. I would imagine at least one of the new freshman might have to play as NW has a solid foundation coming back but is not exactly real deep now.

    Heard he is a good defender as well. Cloud and Winona offered him last summer, along with some smaller schools. He didn’t take long to commit to NW once they got him on a visit.

  14. #14

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    Looks like he can stretch the floor. I would imagine at least one of the new freshman might have to play as NW has a solid foundation coming back but is not exactly real deep now.

    Heard he is a good defender as well. Cloud and Winona offered him last summer, along with some smaller schools. He didn’t take long to commit to NW once they got him on a visit.
    At least we know they don't like us for our fancy gym and video scoreboard. ;)

  15. #15

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Looks like he can stretch the floor. I would imagine at least one of the new freshman might have to play as NW has a solid foundation coming back but is not exactly real deep now.

    Heard he is a good defender as well. Cloud and Winona offered him last summer, along with some smaller schools. He didn’t take long to commit to NW once they got him on a visit.

  16. #16

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred33 View Post
    Just looking around and on Verbal commits it looks like NW also has an offer out to another 6'7" kid, Spencer Jones from Bishop Miege in Kansas. Averaged 17 points and nearly 8 rebounds last season.

    https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/spencer-jones-ks
    http://www.hudl.com/profile/10609906/Spencer-Jones
    Not that it relates to the Bearcats now, but I was looking for an update on this kid... appears he committed to Stanford. Good for him! He must be smart too.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    An article on the state of the Northwest basketball program.

    http://www.maryvilleforum.com/sports...dfe189e6a.html

    I thought it was interesting that Coach McCollum indicated that he'd like to get 1-2 more commits for this coming year. I'd think that there would be slim pickings out there.

  18. #18

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    I have it on good authority that Coach McCollum extended an offer to Lindenwood Transfer Diego Womack when he got his release after the coaching change at Lindenwood.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    2,690
    Rep Power
    5067

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheLion View Post
    I have it on good authority that Coach McCollum extended an offer to Lindenwood Transfer Diego Womack when he got his release after the coaching change at Lindenwood.
    Hmm, interesting. Wonder if his thinking 1-2 more commits for the coming year is due to the new transfer portal opening up more of those opportunities. The numbers in there are ridiculous, wonder how many will end up falling to D2?

  20. #20

    Default Re: NWMSU Bearcats 2019-2020

    Quote Originally Posted by libertybearcat View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Wonder if his thinking 1-2 more commits for the coming year is due to the new transfer portal opening up more of those opportunities. The numbers in there are ridiculous, wonder how many will end up falling to D2?
    Plenty of guys still available...maybe also plenty of questions on the baggage that may come with a number of them, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •