Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowl game...

Default Bowl game...

The GMAC and GLVC are partnering to offer their respective conference's an opportunity to play in a bowl game at the end of the year. It will be called "America's Crossroads Bowl", and played in Hobart Indiana.

Since we all love football, this got me thinking. If the PSAC was to play in a bowl game with another conference, what conference would you like to see, and where would the game be played? What are the options?

I understand that there is little to 0 chance of this happening, but just for fun where would you guys envision it?

I would like to see a PSAC/GLIAC game for the following reasons. We already have many non-conference games withe the NE-10 and the MEC. It offers us another opportunity to be exposed to another top conference. Gives our teams a chance to see what (mostly) a fully-funded program is all about.

I think if the game was to stay in PA, than Hershey may be a good option. Hotels and fanfare are available. Of course that stadium is turning into a dump, but I am sure if this was to every gain legs than Hershey could dump some of their corporate money into renovations. Plus, Hershey is somewhat centralized for most PSAC schools.

Default Re: Bowl game...

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    The GMAC and GLVC are partnering to offer their respective conference's an opportunity to play in a bowl game at the end of the year. It will be called "America's Crossroads Bowl", and played in Hobart Indiana.

Since we all love football, this got me thinking. If the PSAC was to play in a bowl game with another conference, what conference would you like to see, and where would the game be played? What are the options?

I understand that there is little to 0 chance of this happening, but just for fun where would you guys envision it?

I would like to see a PSAC/GLIAC game for the following reasons. We already have many non-conference games withe the NE-10 and the MEC. It offers us another opportunity to be exposed to another top conference. Gives our teams a chance to see what (mostly) a fully-funded program is all about.

I think if the game was to stay in PA, than Hershey may be a good option. Hotels and fanfare are available. Of course that stadium is turning into a dump, but I am sure if this was to every gain legs than Hershey could dump some of their corporate money into renovations. Plus, Hershey is somewhat centralized for most PSAC schools.

Any stadium in PA that could hold about 200 people would suffice. An extra game for a non-playoff team in an empty stadium in November ... doesn't sound real intriguing.

IUP played Ashland the past two years. Edinboro is playing Grand Valley the next several years.

Corry, Pennsylvania hosted the Beaver Bowl decades ago back when small colleges were all playing at the same level.

4. Default Re: Bowl game...

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Any stadium in PA that could hold about 200 people would suffice. An extra game for a non-playoff team in an empty stadium in November ... doesn't sound real intriguing.

IUP played Ashland the past two years. Edinboro is playing Grand Valley the next several years.
    I see your point of view on this. My question is how much attendance do the other bowls get? How does the Mineral Water Bowl stay going?

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Corry, Pennsylvania hosted the Beaver Bowl decades ago back when small colleges were all playing at the same level.
    Still recall IUP televised in the BOARDWALK BOWL, indoors in AC. Good game as I recall.

If the PSAC split the league into 2 or the Bowl Game was against local D3 schools it would probably generate decent attendance. In D3 the top 2 team from each the Centennial & MAC conferences who don't make the playoffs square off in the MAC/Centennial Bowl Game Series. They turn out decent size crowds as the schools are all within a 2-3 hour ride from each other which keeps traveling cost down to a minimum.

Most PSAC schools are lucky to draw 2-3K to their home games to begin with. I don't see how a D2 bowl game in Hershey would draw that much excitement, to be honest.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
    If the PSAC split the league into 2 or the Bowl Game was against local D3 schools it would probably generate decent attendance. In D3 the top 2 team from each the Centennial & MAC conferences who don't make the playoffs square off in the MAC/Centennial Bowl Game Series. They turn out decent size crowds as the schools are all within a 2-3 hour ride from each other which keeps traveling cost down to a minimum.
    Isn't the PSAC split into 2 divisions?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Most PSAC schools are lucky to draw 2-3K to their home games to begin with. I don't see how a D2 bowl game in Hershey would draw that much excitement, to be honest.
    Less than 100 people.

Agreed - neutral site doesn't work at this level and neither does playing during vacation. I think the only thing that could remotely draw a respectable crowd would be a 'Battle of Washington County' of Cal vs W&J. But neither team would agree to play that game.

Default Bowl game...

Who would play in the bowl? PSAC teams want to make the playoffs, not play in a bowl in front of nobody.

Maybe it would be something for programs who have no chance of making the playoffs. Can you imagine ESU winning some trophy for a meaningless bowl. They’d have a parade and bask in it for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPNation View Post
    Who would play in the bowl? PSAC teams want to make the playoffs, not play in a bowl in front of nobody.

Maybe it would be something for programs who have no chance of making the playoffs. Can you imagine ESU winning some trophy for a meaningless bowl. They’d have a parade and bask in it for a decade.
    We have the PSAC Championship game and we have the NCAA playoffs. What's the point?

ESU, still living rent-free in Nation's head despite being pretty much irrelevant in football for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    We have the PSAC Championship game and we have the NCAA playoffs. What's the point?
    You kidding? A game featuring Gannon vs. Concord would sell out a neutral site stadium in seconds. LOL.

#LIT-AF

15. Default Re: Bowl game...

Honestly, do you have the capability of having an actual mature conversation without any digs or asinine comments? Nowhere did anyone here come at you, or your program.

You really do need help my friend. And I do not say that to be cruel, but honestly.

16. Default Re: Bowl game...

That is why I asked earlier about other Bowl games, and their figures.

Everyone does have good points though.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStroud13 View Post
    ESU, still living rent-free in Nation's head despite being pretty much irrelevant in football for a decade.

It’s called trolling and you bit.

Default Bowl game...

Quote Originally Posted by ESU Warrior View Post
    Honestly, do you have the capability of having an actual mature conversation without any digs or asinine comments? Nowhere did anyone here come at you, or your program.

You really do need help my friend. And I do not say that to be cruel, but honestly.

Another one took the bait.

ESU fans are fun to toy with..,
    Last edited by IUPNation; 04-11-2019 at 08:42 AM.

I would like to see a PSAC / GLIAC Challenge Bowl game between the top team not making the POs from each league.
    Maybe a Sheetz or Yuengling could provide sponsor support.
    It could be held on a rotating basis back & forth also the hosting school or city would bid for it.

Years ago Erie held the "GEM CITY BOWL" on Thanksgiving day drew 7,000 for 1958 game.
    Found this on EBAY. Scroll over program to see some PSAC players.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Gem-Ci...-/253629908119

Also the old Vets Stadium in Erie hosted 6 NFL games.
    https://www.goerie.com/sports/201411...0-did-you-know

Quote Originally Posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    I would like to see a PSAC / GLIAC Challenge Bowl game between the top team not making the POs from each league.
    Maybe a Sheetz or Yuengling could provide sponsor support.
    It could be held on a rotating basis back & forth also the hosting school or city would bid for it.

Years ago Erie held the "GEM CITY BOWL" on Thanksgiving day drew 7,000 for 1958 game.
    Found this on EBAY. Scroll over program to see some PSAC players.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Gem-Ci...-/253629908119

Also the old Vets Stadium in Erie hosted 6 NFL games.
    https://www.goerie.com/sports/201411...0-did-you-know
    By league standings, in 2018, that game would have been Ashland (6-4) vs. California (7-4). Both IUP and Cal were 5-2 in the league, so this mythical bid goes to Cal via head-to-head. In terms of overall records, it probably would have been Saginaw Valley (8-3) vs. IUP (8-3). Either way, two pretty decent D2 football matchups ... for August or September. I just don't see enough people caring to attend what is, in essence, a meaningless game. And putting it at Hersheypark Stadium? Good lord, please no. That dump doesn't deserve high school games let alone college games.

If something like this were to work, the only way it would, as stated above, is if it were treated like the PSAC State Game and played at the participating PSAC school one year and at the GLIAC school the next. Regardless, a fun thing to discuss while watching the SRU baseball team cough and wheeze its way to the finish line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast