Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New NSIC

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Contribute to D2

Default Re: New NSIC

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the NSIC requirements actually are. Someone must know where they are posted.
    From page 29 of the NSIC bylaws.

https://nsic_ftp.sidearmsports.com/c...f?path=general

1. Required Sports.
    Required sports must meet the minimum sport qualifications based on the NCAA Manual.
    Institutions shall sponsor a minimum of 10 sports, either four men’s sports and six
    women’s sports, or five men’s sports and five women’s sports.

The required conference sports for men are: football, basketball, and one other spring
    conference championship sport. The required conference sports for women are:
    volleyball, soccer, basketball, and one other spring conference championship sport

From page 29 of the NSIC bylaws.

https://nsic_ftp.sidearmsports.com/c...f?path=general

1. Required Sports.
    Required sports must meet the minimum sport qualifications based on the NCAA Manual.
    Institutions shall sponsor a minimum of 10 sports, either four men’s sports and six
    women’s sports, or five men’s sports and five women’s sports.

The required conference sports for men are: football, basketball, and one other spring
    conference championship sport. The required conference sports for women are:
    volleyball, soccer, basketball, and one other spring conference championship sport
    Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by StateU View Post
    Agreed! But I believe their endowment is valued at $500 million.
    According to the internets it is $500 Million. I looked it up the other day and saw billion but that is wrong. Not sure where I saw that, but I looked it up. I got that wrong and $500 M is correct

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    It's not just about scheduling the MIAA. Splitting up the NSIC would mean those other current NSIC teams can become potential nonconference games, just like MIAA teams could schedule some of those seven GLVC teams from Missouri if they wanted. Wayne can schedule a Kearney or Chadron. Crookston could schedule a Jamestown. If we ended up in separate leagues, we could schedule Northern. We wouldn't have to drive 6 hours and over 300 miles to find the nearest nonconference in-region D2 opponent (and we're a plus-located school in terms of proximity to in-region nonconference schools.

Adding nonconference simply gives the teams the option. If Winona would rather travel to Carson-Newman than play a UMary, they should have that option. If teams want to just schedule teams currently in the NSIC, that'd still be an option. But it gives them a choice, rather than it being forced upon them.
    all of this is an exercise in futility since it requires the league to be split in 2.

not going to happen.

who in the current league do you think would vote for this? I can't think of more than 1-4 schools that might seriously even consider it, yet alone vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The bold comments are pure speculation.

The MIAA screwed things up by eliminating non-conference games. They are fixing that as we type. Hopefully the NSIC does the same.
    i admit it is speculation. I do think MIAA schools would be happy to schedule USF or Mankato. beyond that unlikely. UMD is too far.

you are well versed and connected with the MIAA. I doubt they would want to come to Marshall, Bismarck, or Bemidji

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    i admit it is speculation. I do think MIAA schools would be happy to schedule USF or Mankato. beyond that unlikely. UMD is too far.

you are well versed and connected with the MIAA. I doubt they would want to come to Marshall, Bismarck, or Bemidji
    Doesn’t seem too much further to go to Marshall if willing to go to Mankato or Sioux Falls?

all of this is an exercise in futility since it requires the league to be split in 2.

not going to happen.

who in the current league do you think would vote for this? I can't think of more than 1-4 schools that might seriously even consider it, yet alone vote for it.
    Shoot, I can't remember what I read earlier today but I think it needed a 2/3rds vote. So you would need 11 schools to kick someone out- or add a team if I got my math right. I could name a lot of combinations that could block any move.

not going to happen.

I don't know. All depends on if the schools think their situation can be improved.

I feel like we get complaints from basketball coaches at least one time every year about NSIC travel. Football coaches probably don't love having Crookston ruin the SOS every year. Maybe other football coaches want to play their biggest rival every year. Others might want an even playing field in terms of funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I don't know. All depends on if the schools think their situation can be improved.

I feel like we get complaints from basketball coaches at least one time every year about NSIC travel. Football coaches probably don't love having Crookston ruin the SOS every year. Maybe other football coaches want to play their biggest rival every year. Others might want an even playing field in terms of funding.
    But the coaches don't vote.

New seats at Crookston!

Our database has games from 2006-2018. I was curious where some of the northernmost MIAA teams would travel. I did not include home games against opponents from far away.

Central Missouri - @ Minnesota State
    Emporia State - @ Western State @ Augustana
    Missouri Western - @ Minnesota-Duluth @ Northern State @ Colorado Mesa
    Northwest Missouri - @ Abilene Christian (NW has played @ SDSU, @ Mankato, @ Midwestern State etc. in the recent past)
    Washburn - @ Colorado Mines @ Western Washington @ Sioux Falls

I think the MIAA teams would be willing to travel in home-and-home arrangements. I think this would be especially true if it were made mandatory for playoff participation.

Shoot, I can't remember what I read earlier today but I think it needed a 2/3rds vote. So you would need 11 schools to kick someone out- or add a team if I got my math right. I could name a lot of combinations that could block any move.
    It's almost impossible to kick a team out of a conference. The lawsuits would pile up. It would simply be easier to form a completely new conference.

Our database has games from 2006-2018. I was curious where some of the northernmost MIAA teams would travel. I did not include home games against opponents from far away.

Central Missouri - @ Minnesota State
    Emporia State - @ Western State @ Augustana
    Missouri Western - @ Minnesota-Duluth @ Northern State @ Colorado Mesa
    Northwest Missouri - @ Abilene Christian (NW has played @ SDSU, @ Mankato, @ Midwestern State etc. in the recent past)
    Washburn - @ Colorado Mines @ Western Washington @ Sioux Falls

I think the MIAA teams would be willing to travel in home-and-home arrangements. I think this would be especially true if it were made mandatory for playoff participation.
    Your definition of recent past has changed considerably as you have aged. The Bearcats haven't played SDSU in 15 years and it's been 20 years since they played Midwestern State in a regular season game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    Your definition of recent past has changed considerably as you have aged. The Bearcats haven't played SDSU in 15 years and it's been 20 years since they played Midwestern State in a regular season game.
    You're probably right.

I think the Midwestern game should be relegated to "the past." I never thought about it being 20 years. The SDSU game, to me, is recent past. "Recently would be anything the last 10 years and under or so, but that's not really applicable since the MIAA changed its scheduling. The last four to five years are mostly all that matters when it comes to recruiting.

I doubt if there are any NSIC bylaws that would allow for it considering what they sponsor for teams. It won't happen.

Of course, there are no bylaws in the MIAC that call for them kicking a member out for winning too much either.
    With the recent national news of St. Thomas being kicked out of miac probably worth another discussion of whether nsic would make a good fit for them. Wonder if nsic could also convince St. John’s to make the jump to keep their football rivalry alive. I think adding both teams would strengthen the conference. Not sure how it would impact the rest of league

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    With the recent national news of St. Thomas being kicked out of miac probably worth another discussion of whether nsic would make a good fit for them. Wonder if nsic could also convince St. John’s to make the jump to keep their football rivalry alive. I think adding both teams would strengthen the conference. Not sure how it would impact the rest of league
    Adding St. Thomas would be an excellent move for the league and is a no brainer. There would be instant cred in the Twin Cities. The local media loves them. Concordia was added at least in part to get TC attention. Didn’t pan out given all the other college and pro competition but St. Thomas would get copy. With Augie leaving it might end up taking a lot of the shine off Sioux Falls.

It's almost impossible to kick a team out of a conference. The lawsuits would pile up. It would simply be easier to form a completely new conference.
    Nailed It! ;)

Nailed It! ;)
    Haha

So, I have a theory...was just talking to a friend and kind of formed this. I am a nobody so there is no evidence or information to back any of this. Just trying to do my best Miss Cleo here.

You know, the way college athletics are shifting, I feel like Northern is making this big push because there is going to be some shift down the road. I figure the conference will split mainly based on football scholarships and eventually there will be something higher than D1 for the power five programs. A level where there is a pay compensation.

Because as we see this constant trend of schools trying to move up, I think the D1 landscape will be saturated and change. Meaning this new conference of the "top" schools will eventually be D1 but only after that landscape has changed where D1 is more so the long time less successful schools of D1 and a lot of the old D2.

Just mainly a discussion piece here but I parts of it I feel pretty strongly will happen over our lifetime and maybe much sooner than we think.

Also new in 2020/2021 - the international 3pt line for D2. D1 is making the change this year and D2/D3 will follow the year after.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast