Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New NSIC

Default Re: New NSIC

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I still don't think that's better though. Then the non-conf games get filled in with....wait for it.... all the 'former' NSIC teams. And you basically end up with the same thing you just left. Conference would get ZERO media coverage in MN. At least there's some exposure with MidCo now in Sioux Falls.
    amen. You are 100% right. The TC Media is never going to pay attention to the NSIC and that would be true even if UST joined. They might throw a bone to UST, but not to the league. The best thing the NSIC has going is its Dakota members which brings along Sioux Falls and Midco.

The NSIC is the best D2 league in America. No reason to screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    What has UIU done to deserve getting kicked out of the NSIC?
    nothing. good member.

Your nonconference argument actually bolsters the case to do a split, in my mind. Not saying I want a Minnesota conference, because I don't, but adding nonconference games nearby is a good thing. I'm guessing the MIAA folks would agree.
    i think it is the most overrated thing we has out over and over again on this message board.

Your nonconference argument actually bolsters the case to do a split, in my mind. Not saying I want a Minnesota conference, because I don't, but adding nonconference games nearby is a good thing. I'm guessing the MIAA folks would agree.
    adding non-conference games is a hassle. The MIAA folks want it, but how many will be willing to travel to Marshall? or Bismarck? Nope. They will be happy to have you travel down there. 2 for 1.

Scheduling is a mess. With a full football schedule we don't have that extra headache. When playoffs arrive, I often see teams who have only played 10 instead of 11 games. No thanks. We have a good thing going as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Had to select someone. Not real convenient to get there for most of league. Who would you select?
    as good a reason as any ! i like the honesty

Good points. Aberdeen is also fairly close to Mary, but good points. Also, UIU gym should be imploded... if just looking at it from basketball perspective. My gut is UIU and/or crookston would be first to go if someone had to go. No support or real reasoning for this...just a pure guess.
    we ought to kick out Moorhead for not having baseball !!!!

Now that's just my baseball bias coming forward. seriously, get with it !

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Definitely not going to boot anyone out...unless there was some serious institutional disgrace while we can take jabs at teams success rates, that doesnt make them bad members. Split is more believable but really don't see that either. If it does happen it will be by who funds football fully and who does not, which is some time down the road for even the top schools (mainly because of the title XI hurdles which is potentially leading to the soon to be added womens lacrosse)

The NSIC seems pretty proud of what they have and our overall success warrants that.
    best D2 conference in America

volleyball by a long ways.

good in football

good in hoops

baseball - good considering the northern climate
    softball - see baseball

wrassling - best in D2

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    Well, it would seem that this type of schedule would lead away from travel partners and Fri./Sat. games.
    Wouldn't be the first time. Back in 2003-04 with a 9-team league they had to switch up the schedule a bit. They still did some with travel partners, but probably half of it was single games.

Here's an example, using SMSU's conference schedule from that year:

Sunday 1/4 vs. UMD
    Friday 1/9 at NSU
    Saturday 1/10 at MSUM
    Tuesday 1/13 vs. WSU
    Friday 1/16 at UMC
    Saturday 1/17 at BSU
    Saturday 1/24 at WSC
    Friday 1/30 vs. MSUM
    Saturday 1/31 vs. NSU
    Thursday 2/5 at UMD
    Friday 2/13 at WSU
    Saturday 2/14 at CSP
    Friday 2/20 vs. BSU
    Saturday 2/21 vs. UMC
    Tuesday 2/24 vs. CSP
    Friday 2/27 vs. WSC
    Thursday 3/4 at WSU

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    adding non-conference games is a hassle. The MIAA folks want it, but how many will be willing to travel to Marshall? or Bismarck? Nope. They will be happy to have you travel down there. 2 for 1.

Scheduling is a mess. With a full football schedule we don't have that extra headache. When playoffs arrive, I often see teams who have only played 10 instead of 11 games. No thanks. We have a good thing going as is.
    It's not just about scheduling the MIAA. Splitting up the NSIC would mean those other current NSIC teams can become potential nonconference games, just like MIAA teams could schedule some of those seven GLVC teams from Missouri if they wanted. Wayne can schedule a Kearney or Chadron. Crookston could schedule a Jamestown. If we ended up in separate leagues, we could schedule Northern. We wouldn't have to drive 6 hours and over 300 miles to find the nearest nonconference in-region D2 opponent (and we're a plus-located school in terms of proximity to in-region nonconference schools.

Adding nonconference simply gives the teams the option. If Winona would rather travel to Carson-Newman than play a UMary, they should have that option. If teams want to just schedule teams currently in the NSIC, that'd still be an option. But it gives them a choice, rather than it being forced upon them.

LOL
    Not sure about reasoning for no baseball at Moorhead...

the NSIC would be idiots if they let in St. Thomas. $160 BILLION endowment. would BE FULLY FUNDED IN EVERY SPORT IN YEAR ONE AND THE ADVANTAGE OF A sT. pAUL LOCATION.

but of course, since it is a bad idea the NSIC presidents will jump on it. Their lack of understanding of athletics is astounding. Thankfully the AD's are mostly very competent and keep things going ok,.
    Agreed! But I believe their endowment is valued at $500 million.

Not sure about reasoning for no baseball at Moorhead...
    Title XI, I assume. You're in good company ...UW-Madison doesn't field a baseball team either

LOL
    Moorhead doesnt have baseball? I thought the deal was you had to have football, basketball and baseball with everything else being optional.

Quote Originally Posted by StateU View Post
    Agreed! But I believe their endowment is valued at $500 million.
    I thought that $160 Billion sounded a little rich. Heard on coverage of the Hollywood elites bribing their kids into elite colleges that Harvard has a $500 Billion endowment. Despite that they still sponge off the government. No shame.

the NSIC would be idiots if they let in St. Thomas. $160 BILLION endowment. would BE FULLY FUNDED IN EVERY SPORT IN YEAR ONE AND THE ADVANTAGE OF A sT. pAUL LOCATION.

but of course, since it is a bad idea the NSIC presidents will jump on it. Their lack of understanding of athletics is astounding. Thankfully the AD's are mostly very competent and keep things going ok,.
    Don’t think your number is right but I hear you. However, check out Macalesters endowment. Not doing much for their athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Moorhead doesnt have baseball? I thought the deal was you had to have football, basketball and baseball with everything else being optional.
    During my short lived time being involved to some level, the rule was only five mens and five womena sports to be NCAA eligible. Maybe things have changed or maybe the NSIC has different bylaws? I dont know but I believe Moorhead hasnt had baseball for quite some time. They do have a club team I am pretty sure.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

1983 was the last, and probably best, year for Dragon baseball as they were NIC champs.

"Times were not so giddy for the baseball Dragons. Senior transfer Ed Schumacher (Pine City), a one-year wonder indeed, made an unlikely but nearly successful bid for the national home run crown and earned all-league honors in 1980. Despite a late renaissance, there would be no deathbed reprieve, and the plug was pulled on intercollegiate baseball in May of 1983 following the greatest, and final, season. Head coach Joe Warner and his dead men walking ignored the gloomy backdrop to set a single season record with 28 victories en route to a 28-16 overall finish, a NIC championship, a sweep of College of St. Thomas in the NAIA District 13 championships, and an invitation to the NAIA Area tournament."

https://www.mnstate.edu/university-a...sc-sports.aspx

The bold comments are pure speculation.

The MIAA screwed things up by eliminating non-conference games. They are fixing that as we type. Hopefully the NSIC does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    During my short lived time being involved to some level, the rule was only five mens and five womena sports to be NCAA eligible. Maybe things have changed or maybe the NSIC has different bylaws? I dont know but I believe Moorhead hasnt had baseball for quite some time. They do have a club team I am pretty sure.
    I thought it was an NSIC requirement just like having to field a football team. Apparently is isn't or Moorhead got an exception.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    I thought it was an NSIC requirement just like having to field a football team. Apparently is isn't or Moorhead got an exception.
    It would be interesting to see what the NSIC requirements actually are. Someone must know where they are posted.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast