Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New NSIC

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New NSIC

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    10 team league winona, mankato, Southwest, Concordia, St. Thomas, St. Cloud, Moorhead, Crookston, Bemidji and Duluth. Nice travel costs, and an 18 game schedule makes for a lot of plusses..
    I still don't think that's better though. Then the non-conf games get filled in with....wait for it.... all the 'former' NSIC teams. And you basically end up with the same thing you just left. Conference would get ZERO media coverage in MN. At least there's some exposure with MidCo now in Sioux Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    bring in st. Thomas and St. John’s and say goodbye to UIU.
    What has UIU done to deserve getting kicked out of the NSIC?

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    I still don't think that's better though. Then the non-conf games get filled in with....wait for it.... all the 'former' NSIC teams. And you basically end up with the same thing you just left. Conference would get ZERO media coverage in MN. At least there's some exposure with MidCo now in Sioux Falls.
    Your nonconference argument actually bolsters the case to do a split, in my mind. Not saying I want a Minnesota conference, because I don't, but adding nonconference games nearby is a good thing. I'm guessing the MIAA folks would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Had to select someone. Not real convenient to get there for most of league. Who would you select?

Had to select someone. Not real convenient to get there for most of league. Who would you select?
    And yet, there are worse (just in terms of mileage to get there).

Honestly, if there were a pecking order for teams to get kicked out, Upper Iowa wouldn't even be in my Top 3. UMC would be first, followed by probably Minot and UMary.

UMary's closest geographic opponent (other than Minot) is Moorhead at 198 miles. There are three schools closer than that to Upper Iowa.

And yet, there are worse (just in terms of mileage to get there).

Honestly, if there were a pecking order for teams to get kicked out, Upper Iowa wouldn't even be in my Top 3. UMC would be first, followed by probably Minot and UMary.

UMary's closest geographic opponent (other than Minot) is Moorhead at 198 miles. There are three schools closer than that to Upper Iowa.
    Good points. Aberdeen is also fairly close to Mary, but good points. Also, UIU gym should be imploded... if just looking at it from basketball perspective. My gut is UIU and/or crookston would be first to go if someone had to go. No support or real reasoning for this...just a pure guess.
    Last edited by Moorhead123; 04-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMustang View Post
    i am opposed to a Minnesota Conference. I think Wayne, Northern, and USF are great rivals for SMSU
    Likewise

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

I doubt if there are any NSIC bylaws that would allow for it considering what they sponsor for teams. It won't happen.

Of course, there are no bylaws in the MIAC that call for them kicking a member out for winning too much either.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I wonder- if they fail to oust St. Thomas- will any of those lower MIAC schools decide to leave for the UMAC?
    My guess is that Hamline, Augsburg, St Olaf and Carelton will leave and form a new D3 conference with Northwestern, UM-Morris, Martin Luther and St Scholastica.

UI is quite convenient for Winona and Mankato. Why not Mary seeing they are a killer for us. The NSIC is not going to kick out good standing members. Who do you think we are anyway, the MIAC?

Quote Originally Posted by StateU View Post
    My guess is that Hamline, Augsburg, St Olaf and Carelton will leave and form a new D3 conference with Northwestern, UM-Morris, Martin Luther and St Scholastica.
    At least the coaches would not have to worry about their teams playing down to the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    UI is quite convenient for Winona and Mankato. Why not Mary seeing they are a killer for us. The NSIC is not going to kick out good standing members. Who do you think we are anyway, the MIAC?
    Not going to hold at 15 teams. Either adding 1 or subtracting 1. My guess is there will be some discussion about going down to 14. Not sure if there would be any real steam behind it, but my guess it will come up for some discussion at least.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

The MSU AD said that they have looked into three pods of five. I think they will either add one or go to that instead of kicking someone out.

Not going to hold at 15 teams. Either adding 1 or subtracting 1. My guess is there will be some discussion about going down to 14. Not sure if there would be any real steam behind it, but my guess it will come up for some discussion at least.
    Definitely not going to boot anyone out...unless there was some serious institutional disgrace while we can take jabs at teams success rates, that doesnt make them bad members. Split is more believable but really don't see that either. If it does happen it will be by who funds football fully and who does not, which is some time down the road for even the top schools (mainly because of the title XI hurdles which is potentially leading to the soon to be added womens lacrosse)

The NSIC seems pretty proud of what they have and our overall success warrants that.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    The MSU AD said that they have looked into three pods of five. I think they will either add one or go to that instead of kicking someone out.
    Seems little messy from scheduling perspective. But if that is best option...ok

Not really. You play everyone in your pod home and away for 8 games. You play one pod all on the road for 5 games and one pod at home for five games. 18 conference game regular season. The only mess you would have is one team would be on a "bye" one night (or weekend) depending on how you schedule it.
    Millsy

17. Default Re: New NSIC

Well, it would seem that this type of schedule would lead away from travel partners and Fri./Sat. games.

This reminds of when Cretin got expelled from the St. Paul City Conference for being too good. No doubt St. Thomas would be very formidable very soon in the NSIC. They already have better facilities than many of the schools and plenty of money. Would be tough on Concordia. Still be surprised if they kicked out but if they feel not wanted they might start looking anyway. Replacement for Augustana would be logical. Maybe Angie gets the early boot to make room. Wouldn’t that be classic. The institution aside, it would make a lot more sense geographically than searching out somebody even closer to the edge of the earth.
    the NSIC would be idiots if they let in St. Thomas. $160 BILLION endowment. would BE FULLY FUNDED IN EVERY SPORT IN YEAR ONE AND THE ADVANTAGE OF A sT. pAUL LOCATION.

but of course, since it is a bad idea the NSIC presidents will jump on it. Their lack of understanding of athletics is astounding. Thankfully the AD's are mostly very competent and keep things going ok,.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Simple you say St. Thomas could be worse than Augustana, I could assume you mean winning national championships. Sure hope Cloud doesn't threaten to drop football again or the Huskies could be trading places with the Tommies. Having all teams inside the MN border is a bit like inbreeding. Present your all MN conference to the powers to be and it will float like a lead balloon. One plus you could put the basketball tourney back in Rochester with 400 people with their hands on laps. May you be able to keep referring well into you're golden years;)
    I am amused at how many St. Cloud fans and Mankato fans want to blow up the NSIC. I don't get it. But for our good graces, they would all be independents after the NCC blew up. I honestly don't get it. For the most part, the NSIC has been a win for all 16 schools involved. Yes, I get that there is much disaprity in football, but that is true in every football conference at ever level. Look at the Big Ten. Minnesota, Indiana, Rutgers will NEVER WIN A TITLE. NEVER. MIAC - 7 of those schools have ZERO chance. In sports other than football, the league has been an astounding success. Those "lesser" schools like Wayne, Northern , Minot, and even SMSU have had great successes.

I JUST DON'T GET IT. If you are a fan of a Minnesota conference I'd love to hear the reasoning. What's wrong with the current league?

Shooter said in today’s Pioneer Press that if St. Thomas gets ejected the remaining members will then turn their attention to getting rid of St. John’s. Sounds like the MIAC is full of small thinking losers.
    I for one don't think they are nuts. Those schools can't compete with UST and St. John's in football. Every kid that Augsberg, Hamline, and St. Olaf recruits for football that would start for them, turns them all down to go to either UST and SJU to be 3rd or 4th string. It's not like they aren't trying and aren't recruiting the same kids, they just have zero chance to get them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast