Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 168

Thread: Gannon

  1. #21

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    I would. It's a losing proposition to compete against your own legacy.
    Unless you want to be a HC again.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Gannon

    Well, I don't know what to say. Didn't see this coming ... Still really can't believe that GU would let both coaches go on the same day. Trying to process it.

    Reilly's teams always played hard. Maximum effort. Good students. No knuckleheads. He was really well-liked by the administration, or so I thought. That said, slow, defense-first basketball only works with most fans if you win consistently. Four wins at home isn't the best thing. People were getting impatient after 14 years. The winning seasons were great, but fans aren't used to Gannon bottoming out like this. Riles was always nice to me and my family, though. I would be happy for my son to play for him.

    Brunelli followed the best WBB coach in Gannon history. He never seemed to win recruiting battles and had some issues with players. The team really scuffled under his tenure. Though I thought that the team as composed could start contending again.

    All that said, I hate to see people you know lose their jobs. I see both coaches and their families around Erie quite a bit. Not an easy day for either of them.

    PSAC doubleheaders sure will be different at the Hammermill next year.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Unless you want to be a HC again.
    He could be a Division II head coach anywhere he wants. I think that his daughter is playing in the GLIAC.

    Don't get me wrong ... I wouldn't be upset at all if he came back. I just don't think that he will. I would be upset if he got the Mercy WBB job.

  4. Default Re: Gannon

    First time poster, long time follower. Mercyhurst has no presence on this board so I feel it’s time for me to help that.

    It’s a new world at Mercyhurst. President committed millions to athletics for the new AD. New AD fired women’s coach finally. We are all over the paper stealing headlines from Gannon for first time in years. From what I heard, Cleve was going to the Hurst until Gannon cleaned house. Then he bailed at last second. Desperate times for Gannon if you ask me. They know the campus on the hill is moving in the right direction. Let them have Cleve. Plenty of great options out there for MU. does Gannon double down and try to steal Manchel too? Can’t see Mercyhurst allowing it.

  5. Default Re: Gannon

    From @ENNgarydrapcho

    Read into this what you want ....word is Cleve Wright was set to become the next Mercyhurst coach...until today ....and Stan Swank has stated in the recent past he wants to coach again.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst72 View Post
    First time poster, long time follower. Mercyhurst has no presence on this board so I feel it’s time for me to help that.

    It’s a new world at Mercyhurst. President committed millions to athletics for the new AD. New AD fired women’s coach finally. We are all over the paper stealing headlines from Gannon for first time in years. From what I heard, Cleve was going to the Hurst until Gannon cleaned house. Then he bailed at last second. Desperate times for Gannon if you ask me. They know the campus on the hill is moving in the right direction. Let them have Cleve. Plenty of great options out there for MU. does Gannon double down and try to steal Manchel too? Can’t see Mercyhurst allowing it.
    Gannon isn't poaching Manchel. If they don't hire an offensive guru the 1980s guard may burn the Hammermill down.

    I would say Manchel could draw interest from a level up.

    BTW, welcome to the nuthouse.

  7. Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst72 View Post
    From @ENNgarydrapcho

    Read into this what you want ....word is Cleve Wright was set to become the next Mercyhurst coach...until today ....and Stan Swank has stated in the recent past he wants to coach again.
    You can have Cleve Wright. That would be a bad hire for Gannon.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    You can have Cleve Wright. That would be a bad hire for Gannon.
    Why? I doubt he'd leave to flop in D1 again and this would likely be his last job.

  9. Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Why? I doubt he'd leave to flop in D1 again and this would likely be his last job.
    I would just like to see someone else get a chance. It was fun when he was here but i would try something new.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    I would just like to see someone else get a chance. It was fun when he was here but i would try something new.
    Interesting point of view. He was very successful there. Who did you have in mind aside from Mazzante?

    From what I've heard she has no interest in a HC job.

  11. Default Re: Gannon

    [QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;2369882]Interesting point of view. He was very successful there. Who did you have in mind aside from Mazzante?

    From what I've heard she has no interest in a HC job.[/QUOTE

    Cal and iup seem to be able to recruit year after year. Maybe an assistant out of one of their programs. It’s hard to believe that Gannon doesn’t have someone in mind all ready considering there are two positions to fill. Gannon announced firings after iup women and mercyhurst men’s team lost. This makes me think mazzante and manchel will be the next two coaches. Don’t bet money on that though.

  12. Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    You can have Cleve Wright. That would be a bad hire for Gannon.
    I agree that Brunelli needed to go. He was absolutely handed the keys to the kingdom when he was hired and failed to really do anything with it. Cleve had that program running on all cylinders and then some. If I was AD I would most certainly want to talk with him. He very nearly won a national title there less than a decade ago. He seemed to run a first rate program from everything that I was able to observe.

    Stanley Swank was also a legendary coach. I would also want to talk to him if he had interest in returning to the bench.

    Former IUP WBB skipper Jeff Dow is another PSAC coaching alum looking for work as far as I know after resigning from La.-Monroe. He should draw some interest one would think. His wife is from PA so maybe they are eyeing a return with their young family.

    Kelly Mazzante to the best of my knowledge grew up near Bloomsburg or in that general area (Montoursville?). I always thought she might want to coach Bloom if she coveted a D-II head coaching gig. But hard to know. But who's to say that Irish Tom McConnell doesn't take on a bigger job with his recent success and Mazzante succeeds him at IUP.

    -

  13. #33

    Default Re: Gannon

    https://www.goerie.com/sports/201903...ll-not-return#

    GoErie news article includes a statement from Reilly. He is a class act and will continue to be wherever he lands.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    22499

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst72 View Post
    First time poster, long time follower. Mercyhurst has no presence on this board so I feel it’s time for me to help that.

    It’s a new world at Mercyhurst. President committed millions to athletics for the new AD. New AD fired women’s coach finally. We are all over the paper stealing headlines from Gannon for first time in years. From what I heard, Cleve was going to the Hurst until Gannon cleaned house. Then he bailed at last second. Desperate times for Gannon if you ask me. They know the campus on the hill is moving in the right direction. Let them have Cleve. Plenty of great options out there for MU. does Gannon double down and try to steal Manchel too? Can’t see Mercyhurst allowing it.
    You're new AD is a goof! I met him at the regional. Why wouldn't he put any money into that shack of a gym?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    22499

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    Well, I don't know what to say. Didn't see this coming ... Still really can't believe that GU would let both coaches go on the same day. Trying to process it.

    Reilly's teams always played hard. Maximum effort. Good students. No knuckleheads. He was really well-liked by the administration, or so I thought. That said, slow, defense-first basketball only works with most fans if you win consistently. Four wins at home isn't the best thing. People were getting impatient after 14 years. The winning seasons were great, but fans aren't used to Gannon bottoming out like this. Riles was always nice to me and my family, though. I would be happy for my son to play for him.

    Brunelli followed the best WBB coach in Gannon history. He never seemed to win recruiting battles and had some issues with players. The team really scuffled under his tenure. Though I thought that the team as composed could start contending again.

    All that said, I hate to see people you know lose their jobs. I see both coaches and their families around Erie quite a bit. Not an easy day for either of them.

    PSAC doubleheaders sure will be different at the Hammermill next year.
    The writing was on the wall. That wench of an AD had it in for Reilly right from the get go. She just had to ride out his contract. The correct move would've been to get rid of that piece of garbage football coach!

  16. Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    The writing was on the wall. That wench of an AD had it in for Reilly right from the get go. She just had to ride out his contract. The correct move would've been to get rid of that piece of garbage football coach!
    It’s unfortunate that your head has been up Reilly’s as$ too long to think clearly. Lack of consistent winning seasons and dwindling fans equal no job. The correct move would have been to get rid of those two clowns years ago.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    19,419
    Rep Power
    70141

    Default Re: Gannon

    Reilly was a good hire at the time but not the guy for right now. Unfortunately that happens.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Gannon

    Some thoughts/comments/questions:

    * How much did Mercyhurst's run play in to this decision?

    * Will GU really go after Manchel as some are suggesting? Would he even be interested? Many have pegged him as the heir-apparent at IUP in the coming years. GU can't pay near what IUP can offer.

    * JR allegedly had some big-time JUCO players lined up. Will they now vanish?

    * GU should have some nice players returning. Should, of course, is a dangerous word.

    * JR getting blamed for attendance. Fun fact: GU had the second-highest attendance in the PSAC. It's not 1988 again. Never will be. The days of sold out Hammermill's are long gone.

    * Case in point: 5 years ago the 'Mill didn't even sell out for IUP's visit in the PSAC Championship. Not even close, in fact.

    * Was JR the one scheduling all those ridiculous 3 p.m. Saturday tip-offs? You know, the ones that draw awful for every school.

    * Wonder if the GU faithful would have liked that boring style if it was Reilly in the E8 instead of Manchel?

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    22499

    Default Re: Gannon

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    It’s unfortunate that your head has been up Reilly’s as$ too long to think clearly. Lack of consistent winning seasons and dwindling fans equal no job. The correct move would have been to get rid of those two clowns years ago.
    Lack of consistent winning? He's the all time winning coach there. If you don't win consistently then he wouldn't be the all time winning coach there.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,544
    Rep Power
    22499

    Default Re: Gannon

    [QUOTE=Mjtheman;2369887]
    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Interesting point of view. He was very successful there. Who did you have in mind aside from Mazzante?

    From what I've heard she has no interest in a HC job.[/QUOTE

    Cal and iup seem to be able to recruit year after year. Maybe an assistant out of one of their programs. It’s hard to believe that Gannon doesn’t have someone in mind all ready considering there are two positions to fill. Gannon announced firings after iup women and mercyhurst men’s team lost. This makes me think mazzante and manchel will be the next two coaches. Don’t bet money on that though.
    Idiot! So if Reilly's style is why attendance is down, don't you think Manchel would be the same since his style is the same?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •